Being Lazy

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Regular
Okay, tuesday I found out i had GD. I went to see a dietitcian on friday, and i know there is no way for me to follow these meal plans. I know it sounds selfish, because i know the potential harm it can do to my baby girl, but im not disaplined enough, and that food will never fill me.

Also, i am sooo tired all the time, and i dont want to do extensive work outs.

My number are very high, and even cutting alot back today, they still are high.

help please
February 19th, 2011, 06:38 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Mama if your numbers are that hight....sweetie you need to eat different. Now you just started the GD journey and it sounds like you are maybe making conclusions before you have actually given it your best. Im pregnant with boarderline numbers and eat a mostly GD diet and im never hungry....because to properly feed your body/baby/ and pancreas you need to eat.........ALL THE TIME. Maybe do more research or find different low carb whole grain foods, but it is doable.

I know that it sucks, but i also know that your baby is worth it. you need to give it your all!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

February 20th, 2011, 06:18 AM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed. gd does kind of suck. BUT - a couple things: 1. You should NOT have to be hungry during your pregnancy. You need enough food for you and you baby. You do need to shift calories somewhat from carbs to protein. In fact, just cutting down on calories never works as far as I can tell. I would focus on changing the type of foods you are eating, not the amount. You should keep eating until you are full. You should also still be able to eat some carbs that you enjoy if you always pair them with protein and fats. Peanut butter is a great protein to pair with stuff. I have a guilty secret: I ate bacon and eggs for breakfast about 4 times a week after my diagnosis. It's probably terrible for my cholesterol, but my sugars stayed super low and the baby seems to be doing fine. 2. As for exercise, you don't have to suddenly become an athlete. Just walking for 10-15 minutes after lunch can lower your sugars significantly, as the other ladies here can tell you. You may also find that you feel less exhausted when your sugars are better controlled. If they are really high it can run you down. And finally, if you really can't get the sugar in control, the docs will give you insulin to protect your baby. That can be a relief if you really need it.

You can cope with this. It isn't fun, but it will work out and you'll have a healthy baby at the end. Good luck!

Thank you Vicki!

Last edited by JustLiz; February 20th, 2011 at 06:25 AM.
February 20th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Regular
Thanks ladies. My numbers keep hopping around for now, so we shall see. Im going to try my hardest at this, to make sure she will be safe! I guess it just scares me more to think that if I fail, it can harm her
February 20th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with what the other posters said, and I'm glad you're trying, because you need to try for yourself and that baby growing in you! This has been a very supportive board and a great resource for me in the short time I've been here, so maybe stick around and we can all help you out as you go along.
February 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM
Veteran
It's definitely frustrating at first. I really have found some healthy alternatives though, that I crave just as much now (if not more) than the junky stuff before.
Three little tips to keep your numbers low:
1. Pair it with protein (scoop of pb, piece of turkey or chicken, eggs, etc.)
2. Get active after you eat--don't just sit around waiting to test. Your numbers will be significantly higher if you don't get up and really move around.
3. Relax. When my stress is sky-high, so are my numbers. Do anything you can (put on some of your favorite music whenever you feel stressed) to keep your bp and stress down.

I totally understand your frustration because I deal with it all the time. Just know that you're not alone and we totally understand. You CAN do this.

Edited to Add: I find the getting active part naturally relaxes me, so 2 & 3 are usually done together. I put on my headphones, walk on a treadmill, and voila! my numbers are perfect.
February 26th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Regular
I figured I would update everyone... I got moved to a highrisk OB . My OB told he he has never seen numbers soo high so early in pregnancy and he pretty much said he had no idea what he was doing with it. I went and met with the new OB and they think that I have diabetes before I got preggo, which I think is bull since I was always checked, but if so, I wasnt watching numbers or what I ate, and chances are high that there is already damage to her development. shoot me now.....
February 26th, 2011, 01:04 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry mamma. . How far along are you? I'm sure the high-risk ob will help you get the sugars down fast. Sounds like you'll need meds, but you'll do it! Your taking good care of your girl. She is going to turn out just fine once this is under control. Try not to worry!

Thank you Vicki!

February 26th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Regular
I am 25 weeks and 1 day. They put me on glyburide, it helps sometimes, but for the most part my numbers go up and down like a roller coaster. Like for lunch today, I ate a plum and a whole plate of meat sauce pasta with cheese, and my numbers were below what they should have been, but this morning after eating plain cheerios (1/2 cup) and 1/2 cup of milk my numbers were over 200. i dont get it. I hope that these doctors can figure it all out, and that the damage isnt already done .
February 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What is your BS before eating the cheerios? Is it possible it's to high before you eat?

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

February 26th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Regular
yes it is high as well. this morning it was 150. I dont understand why my sugars go up while I sleep, I dont normally eat a midnight snack, and if i do its a peice of toast with PB.
February 26th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Regular
I wouldn't let them scare you too much either, thats just extra stress on you and the baby. Years ago, they did not even include blood glucose testing in pre-natal care, and nowadays babies are bigger than they used to be regardless.

But with that being said, just do your best....you will shortly figure out what works for you. I was diagnosed with GD at 27 weeks, and my numbers were not as bad as yours seem to be, BUT emotionally, its devastating..it breaks you down, and then you feel like giving up, its just a big rollercoaster. I finally had an epiphany and decided to take the bull by the horn and take some serious control. And wow, did i notice a difference really fast.

Attitude is really 80% of the battle. And before you know it, you will be on the last stretch of your pregnancy, and you will proudly be able to say you did it.

Good luck to you. Im 37 weeks now, and have not had even 1 number out of range for the last 5 weeks. They even cut down my testing frequency....and word of wisdom...........you do have to do a bit of excercise. Even just taking the stairs at the mall, parking further away from the stores....anything you can do to increase your walking. 1 or 2 days at a gym would do you good as well. Just something light.
February 27th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you eating a snack right before bed? And making sure that snack is a carb paired with a protein? One reason your numbers may be so high in the morning is if you have gone too long without eating, your sugar actually drops too low and then your liver starts to release stored sugar (ketones). The longer you go between meals, the more likely you are to release ketones and the higher your number will be upon waking.

One reason eating the pasta didn't send your numbers too high was the protein you had with it--both the meat in the sauce and the cheese. Even though milk has protein in it, it may not have been enough to counteract the carbs in the cheerios and milk so that can also make the numbers higher.

One thing that really helped me keep my numbers down was eating a salad with lunch and dinner--the fiber from the veg actually helps your body slow down the processing of carbs--if your body breaks them down slower, it provides a long slow release instead of a quick release so your numbers stay more even

I was able to keep my numbers in check by being really strict with diet for quite a while--I did eventually have to go on insulin towards the end but it was nice to avoid for most of my pregnancy! It seems overwhelming at first but soon it becomes routine Have they sent you to see a nutritionist yet? That REALLY helped me get into the routine of the meals--my nutritionist broke it down into how much carb/protein/fruit/raw veg/etc I should have per meal and snack and then I just had to choose things to fill those categories. Gave me structure to keep me on tract but also a great deal of flexibility in the variety I was able to eat
February 28th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Regular
As far as eating before I go to bed, its a toss up. See I work a job where an exact schedule isnt in the cards for me. Sometimes I work til 9 at night. Which means dinner comes late, so I dont eat a snack.

I did see a dietitian, but when I passed on the information to my diabetes consultant, she told me different. Example: My dietitian told me I couldnt have more then 1/4 tablespoon of peanut butter, my consultant told me to pair pb up with alot of my foods.

They just doubled my glyburide, but I have a feeling insulin is very soon in the picture. Although I do not like needles, thats not the part that is scaring me. What scares me is right now I feel perfectly healthy, look healthy, yet once I start this insulin, if I eat one wrong meal, ill crash? Doesnt seem too helpful to me!!!

Thank you everyone for your input, I appreciate hearing that I am not alone in this.
February 28th, 2011, 10:22 AM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the same problem with my job. Some nights I don't get home till 9pm or later so that is when I eat dinner. So I don't have a night time snack but I do have a snack around 5 or 6pm.

What time are you getting up in the morning? I get up between 730 and 8 for work. And when I test my BS before 8 it is usually below 80, but if I wait till before I leave and it's after 8a then it's sometimes above 90. So timing it is the key with fasting, to long and the number is higher. Some nights (when I eat earlier) I will eat a string cheese right before going to bed and I think that helps keeps the number down. Maybe you will need to wake up around 3am and have a snack. Or if you get up to use the bathroom maybe have a quick snack. Like beef jerky, nuts or string cheese, something high in protein. This will help start the day low.

For breakfast I have a packet of oatmeal and either an orange or string cheese. Like the brown sugar or cinnamon kind even though the dietitian told me that would make my BS to high and I should have plain oatmeal, but it's almost always in the 80s after breakfast so I stuck with the instant flavored. But if I eat 2 pieces of WW toast with PB it's in the 100's and she told me that would be a better option. So not everyone will be able to eat the same foods and process them the same. In the beginning I think it's really hit and miss to find something that doesn't raise your sugar.

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

February 28th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Regular
My Fiance and I were just discussing me eating a snack when i get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. I will have to try that!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search