Starving after eating

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2011, 07:13 PM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sometimes like 30mins after I eat I feel like I'm starving. Tonight I made teriyaki chicken, garlic & butter steamed red potatoes and cauliflower with cheese sauce. I was stuffed and couldn't even finish my last few bites.

But 30 mins later I felt like I hadn't eaten anything and was starving. So I grabbed a string cheese and ate one of those, but I didn't want to eat anything big to raise my sugar. This was a new (well since being GD) meal and I know potatoes can raise your sugar so I wanted to know what this meal would be.

So I waited out my 2hrs and tested...it was only 86. Then I stuffed myself with strawberries and a little nutella.

Have any of you had this? This is like the 3rd time this week I've felt this way. But are there certain foods I can eat that won't effect my BS levels after eating a big meal? Or should I continue waiting out the 2hrs and then testing? I mean I ate a full meal so it's not like I didn't eat much and then was hungry, so I don't understand why I feel like I'm starving.

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

February 26th, 2011, 04:48 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
hmmmmm. Eat more? lol. Seems like if im eating well im eating more during the day! make sure you arent going longer then 2 hours without eating something. Maybe add a peice of whole wheat with your meal too!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

February 26th, 2011, 07:43 AM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any advice, but this happened to me occasionally too. I would say if you are hungry go ahead and eat before the 2 hours. You need energy. Peanuts are good and won't make your numbers go up.

Thank you Vicki!

February 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I had typed up this whole response and JM glitched or something and I lost it all.

But anyways, lol. I pretty much eat all day long. I wake up, test, eat breakfast, test, eat lunch, test and then since I don't have to test again till after dinner I just graze all day on things like grapes, strawberries, granola bars, yogurt and string cheese. I tend to quit eating about an hour before dinner. Then eat dinner. So I don't know how I could really be hungry, lol.

I thought about eating more at dinner, or adding a piece of bread. But like I said I feel stuffed after dinner and can barely finish up the last few bites, and sometimes I force myself to. I will try eating some peanuts, and I noticed the string cheese didn't have any effect so hopefully those will help.

Last week I ate 2 bowls of bow tie pasta covered in Chunky garden sauce with beef and same thing, less than an hour later I was starving. And I knew that the 2 bowls were already going to make my BS high cause it was a lot of carbs...and it was 136. I was also surprised that my dinner last night only had me at 86, I figured it was going to be much higher. But obviously I still have no idea what will or won't cause me to have high numbers.

I can't wait to be done with this!

7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

February 26th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd say to throw more protein into your snacks, and don't withold food from baby to keep your glucs down, babies grow one pound per week at the end, so they're burning thru the calories. Are you drinking enough water? You're eating good carbs, make sure you pair them up with enough protein. Great work mama!
February 26th, 2011, 09:58 AM
So more protein in my snacks. What are good snacks that have a lot of protein? (sorry I am still pretty clueless about this stuff still). I eat 3-4 string cheeses a day. I also have a serving of cottege cheese probably every other day or so. I've been eating pretzels with laughing cow cheese as well. Cheese is all I want that I know is a good protein. I'm not a big peanut butter fan but I have been eating it on toast once or twice a week.

My problem is at work we don't get any breaks, so what ever I snack on has to be quick and easy so that I can eat it in between patients.

February 26th, 2011, 01:11 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
136 is pretty darn good after pasta. Are you sure you have gd? Lol I lived on peanuts and peanut butter. Any kind of nuts actually are good. Hummus is also good and Greek yogurt has a lot of protein.

Thank you Vicki!

February 26th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Regular
I have the same problem, have yet to figure it out. So believe me your not alone!! and Today after my full plate of pasta, my sugar was only 133. Weird
February 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I really don't think I do...but I failed the test so I guess. The doctor ws surprised when I told him I haven't changed my diet at all. Well I guess that's not true, I quit drinking sugary drinks and I really miss my sweet tea. But so far everything I eat keeps me below, so he said I'm really borderline which of course can get worse as I get farther along.

The day I got my testing stuff I went to Steak n shake for lunch and had a Chipolte burger, fries with cheese sauce and a cherry limeade and my sugar was 176 90mins afterwards. I couldn't wait the full 2 hrs to test cause of a meeting so I'm not sure what it got down to. But I'm pretty sure that cherry limeade, with 4 cherries I ate, pushed me way up, lol. And I felt so crummy afterwards and really needed a nap.

February 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Veteran
Could you change your testing to ONE hour after you eat so you can snack sooner after a meal? I test one hour after and my numbers need to be under 130.
Your stomach is probably running out of room in there LOL so your meals may need to just be smaller but more frequent.
May 19th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Maybe more protein? As long as your sugars are under control and your not gaining weight too fast more power to ya!. Wish I could do that

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search