Could my meter be wrong?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2011, 05:57 PM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I'm wondering if there is a way to test my meter. I'm just wondering if it's giving me accurate numbers. I mean I have had a few high numbers but most the time I am low or lower than I think I should be. I know I'm new to GD so I don't know much about what foods will or wont cause me to be high. But nothing is making sense to me.

For instance tonight I had steak, loaded mashed potatoes and corn for dinner and my BS was 83. But last night we had pizza hut and I had 5 pieces of buffalo chicken with Ranch and a piece of thin crust pizza (which at pizza hut is like a cracker so not a lot of carbs) loaded with veggies and my BS was 136. Now to me that seems backwards, I figured tonights dinner would cause me to be higher than last nights. Is that wrong?

I mean I'm sure my meter is right...but what if it's not? How would one know?

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

February 28th, 2011, 07:22 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
thats prob correct. See the steak off sets the potatoes...its all protein. The buffalo wings have a sauce which i promise you has a lot of sugar in it...as well the pizza sauce....so your numbers would be higher. Meters arent super accurate and a lot of times the come with a test solution you can use...but honestly those numbers sound right. What can make you get false highs is if you wash your hands with sented soup our hand sanitizer...its crazy. Also if you are anxious before you test, and your activity post meal really effect numbers. With my last steak was like my ticket to eat what ever i wanted......protein is our friend!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

February 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
And, too, its going to depend on how your body reacts. My dad is diabetic and he has to be ultra low carb to keep his numbers in check. But when I had GD, if I skipped my carbs or didn't have enough, my numbers went way up! It was really weird For some reason, my body needed the protein/carbs to be balanced just right to keep my numbers even.
February 28th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I guess that does make sense. I didn't think about the sauce on the chicken because I figured the chicken was protein so it wouldn't matter. But added to the ranch it probably put it over the top, lol. I'm still trying to figure out what foods are good and what ones aren't. I haven't changed what I've eaten at all so I'm kind of flying blind. But trying to pay attention to my numbers because I know that it can get worse and I might actually have to watch what I eat.

I also just remembered that shortly after dinner last night I took some cough medicine and that raises my levels as well if I take it after eating. If I use all of this one up I'll have to be sure to get the diabetic kind next time. But I didn't think about cough medicine having sugar in it.

Oh and I figured about the soap, plus I use lotion a lot cause I work in healthcare and am constantly washing my hands so they are dry. But I use an alcohol wipe every time I test so that it won't mess with the test results.

7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Last edited by MrsB; February 28th, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
March 1st, 2011, 05:32 AM
Pizza's typically one of those diabetic nightmare foods you don't expect, like bagels or cold cereals. I usually have no problem keeping my BS on the low side, but if I have more than half a bagel or a slice of pizza, my sugars go to around 150 unless I counter balance with a LOT of protein. Also, loaded mashed potatoes have sour cream and cheese and maybe bacon in them, too, right? More protein and fat, which lowers blood sugar. Vegetables unfortunately don't do a whole lot in lowering BS when eating a larger than average amount of carbs (like on pizza), though a vegetable-heavy diet of course is very good for you and the baby.

And yeah, I bet the cough syrup also knocked you on your butt.
March 1st, 2011, 06:32 AM
Veteran
I'm just impressed you can eat buffalo chicken wings and avoid heartburn! LOL

I had pizza a few weeks ago and went up to around 175. Yikes!! That was my highest reading ever.

But I wanted to add, my meter blows. I've tested on one finger to get a reading, then as an experiment, tested on another finger and the number has been up to 15 points off. That's really annoying when every point counts. Needless to say, I write down the lower number...LOL
March 1st, 2011, 07:06 AM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Steak is definitely a carb sink. I could eat just about anything with steak. Also definitely beware of sauces used in restaurants. A lot of spicy sauces are loaded with sugar that you can't necessarily taste.

Thank you Vicki!

March 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophielee View Post
I'm just impressed you can eat buffalo chicken wings and avoid heartburn! LOL

I had pizza a few weeks ago and went up to around 175. Yikes!! That was my highest reading ever.

But I wanted to add, my meter blows. I've tested on one finger to get a reading, then as an experiment, tested on another finger and the number has been up to 15 points off. That's really annoying when every point counts. Needless to say, I write down the lower number...LOL
Oh I have heartburn everyday. Even my oatmeal in the morning gives it to me, lol. Some days my tums take care of it and other days I have to take a zantac. I figure it doesn't matter what I eat anymore I have it so I mys well eat the stuff I want. And I think I could eat those everyday if I allowed myself to. That and string cheese have been my big cravings.

And good to know about steak being such a good protein I could eat just about anything.

I figured since I got the thin crust pizza it wouldn't be to bad. At pizza hut it is really like a cracker, and I did only have 1 piece. I know carbs can be my enemy so I do try to limit them or eat a good protein with it...hence the chicken wings.

It's getting hard cause I've reached a point where all I want to do is eat, so having to keep track of what I eat really stinks. Especially since I'm still down 12lbs pre-pregnancy weight so I feel I deserve to eat what I want dang it, lol. And snacking on fruits all day just wasn't what I had in mind.

March 1st, 2011, 09:06 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB View Post
Especially since I'm still down 12lbs pre-pregnancy weight so I feel I deserve to eat what I want dang it, lol. And snacking on fruits all day just wasn't what I had in mind.
Amen! I figured that I could eat all the sweets in the world and I had an excuse to gain weight, looks like thats all out the window lol
March 11th, 2011, 07:43 PM
This is interesting, I was just diagnosed with GD, and it's nice to see how others are doing with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search