I'm 37 wks pregnant & might have GD

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2011, 06:57 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all,

I had a pretty big baby last time and my OB did a weight-check u/s at 36 wks because of this. The baby was estimated to be in the 95th percentile and my fluid levels were above average (not sure how far above average). When we talked about the results, he suggested I take the 3 hr GD test even though I already passed the 1 hr weeks ago. He was concerned I could have developed GD later on. He was also already talking about inducing me early whether or not I actually have GD, because the baby is so big. Wah... I'm all in a tizzy about the whole thing b/c I planned on staying out of the hospital until I was practically in transition, lol .. I hate sitting in the hospital and I like to go as natural as possible, which is easier when not in the hospital!

Anyhoo, I actually declined the 3 hr GD test b/c I was convinced I would get really sick and I couldn't have my DH bring me or pick me up. But I said I could monitor my blood sugar at home for a few days and see what it ran. They said that is fine, so that's what I've done the last few days.

My numbers range anywhere from 96 (when pretty hungry / have been pretty active) to 166, 2 hrs after a meal. In the morning it has been 122, 120, 121, and then this morning it was 106 which I bet is because I was super hungry (actually I was hungry in the middle of the night when I got up to pee, but didn't eat b/c I thought it wouldn't be a fasting number...).

I'm so curious as to whether this means I have GD or not. Anybody have an opinion? I'm thinking it's not looking so good, but I'm not too familiar with this number stuff.

I have been being more careful about what I eat, but it's hard and I'm not used to it. I definitely know that apparently O.J. is my arch nemesis b/c the 2 times I drank a little cup my next reading was in the 150's or 160's. DOH (Is that horrific?)

So tomorrow is a BIG appointment where I may find out I have GD (or maybe not?). And I will find out of I have Strep B, AND they might talk about when to induce me, especially if they think my numbers are high... I'm sure I will be a ball of tears after this appointment....

I know the appointment is soon anyway, but if anyone wants to warn me now (or make me feel better) as to whether I have GD or not, I would appreciate it. Then at least I could try to keep that in mind when I go tomorrow.

TIA! Sorry so long...

p.s. Some peeps who have had GD are telling me that 120 for fasting is super high, but my mom who has Type II diabetes says that 120 is normal for her and if she gets below 100 she has symptoms of hypoglycemia... Could my "norm" just be higher than other people's? Or is my mom's norm being in the low 120's just b/c she has Type II, so her norm will always be higher...? This conflicting info confuses me.

[/url]

March 21st, 2011, 09:43 PM
Super Mommy
From what you are writing, it looks like your numbers are on the high side to me. I was borderline with my first, am not with this one, but still test myself just in case. I want to make sure that I keep my little one safe and the only real way to do that is eat a GD diet and test my blood sugars fasting and 2 hours post meals.

The dietitian that I see likes a GD person to be below 90 fasting and below 120 post meals.

Just remember though that ultrasounds can be off as much as 2lbs. Don't let them force induction on you, but if its the best thing for the little one and you to get your health right, make sure you think about it.
March 21st, 2011, 10:14 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you have gd based on those fasting numbers. Sorry.
The goal blood sugars are different for type IIs.
It seems kinda silly to test this late though since it usually takes a couple of weeks to get it under control. I agree with the above post. Make sure you ask your ob about the risks and benefits of induction. It is still your choice and the benefits are not so clear cut. Hope your delivery goes well whichever way you choose! Good luck!

Thank you Vicki!

March 21st, 2011, 10:49 PM
Aw man, OK. Everyone who has or has had GD is telling me that my numbers are high, so I am going to assume that's what they'll tell me when I get to my appointment. It helps to mull it over ahead of time instead of getting hit with the bad news abruptly. Of course, I worry about what damage has been done so far since I may have had it for 2 months now and done nothing about it since I didn't know it. It is pretty late in the game now and I think that's why they're talking inducing early b/c we can't reverse whatever's been done so far. I hope it's affected nothing except the baby is big... But I will definitely be super careful about what I eat from here on out if I do have GD.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice and info!

[/url]

March 22nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Based on your numbers it does sound like you have GD. I ws told below 90 fasting and 120 2 hrs post meals.

Do you drink sugar containing drinks? That would be the first thing I would cut and then see how your results come out. Since I have cut them I can eat pretty much whatever I want and my numbers are below. Actually my numbers are so well controlled I no longer have to test 4x a day. Totally worth only drinking water and sprite zero is my new BFF. If you need flavored drinks crystal light works as well. Also I have noticed even diet coke raises my level. Which from what I can tell is from the caffeine. I know this won't work for everyone, it was just the way my body reacted to the sugar in drinks vs foods. But it's worth a try if you drink them.

My dietician did tell me to not drink any juice in the morning, it is the worst time to drink it. I must say though I have only had juice once since my diagnosis, and I do miss it. But I'd rather eat something than waste my numbers on juice. I've just stepped up my fruit intake.

Try eating a high protein snack right before bed. Also if you wake in the middle of the night you can eat something high protein as well and see if that lowers your morning number.

It's really all about trial and error to see what will raise your levels. Try eating small amounts every 2-3 hrs. I pretty much eat all day long until dinner. Then I have a big dinner and don't eat again. Also I eat a string cheese with almost every meal, even my oatmeal in the morning. I do think this has helped as well, especially if what I'm eating isn't a protein.

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

March 22nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Yep, I do have GD for sure. Doc confirmed it today and said there is no question. I will be meeting with a dietitian soon, even though I'm due only in a few weeks! I am bummed but I am glad I asked everyone if they thought I had it so that I could be prepared mentally and not have a break down when I got the bad news! Good news is, though, that I had a fluid check (still high, but the same as last week) and also had an NST and the baby seems very healthy and active and looks great.

Now I just have to worry about induction / c-section possibilities b/c the baby is measuring so huge. I have to evaluate all the options and figure out what I can live with and what is erring on the side of caution... oy

Anyway, thanks for all the tips! As I try to implement the new diet, I may be back asking specific questions about how to eat!

BTW, I used to love to drink juice (though I usually diluted it just to avoid so many calories). I drank OJ twice and it made my sugars spike really obviously, so I agree that juice is apparently off-limits!

[/url]

March 23rd, 2011, 02:12 AM
Regular
at least you don't have too long to go. I have GD as well, but was diagnosed much earlier than you, i have maintained reasonable numbers through out the pregnancy, but to be honest, i do slip in quite a few treats....and im also worried about the size of the baby.

Ultrasound at 36 weeks estimated 6.5 pounds, and doc estimates 8.5 pounds just at my 39 + 4 appt. I am now 40 +2 and am growing(no pun intended) concerned about the size of my baby I sure hope it goes well.....I have NST and ultrasound on Friday.....which according to me is too far away......so we shall see what happens.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search