GD and breastfeeding?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2011, 09:00 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone know if having GD will interfere with breastfeeding? What about the immediate after birth feed? I've read that baby can have low blood sugar after birth, and they can be given a bottle of formula to bring it back up... would this mean no breast feeding, or a wait to feed?
March 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I breastfed my little one within an hour of birth. If your blood sugar is well controlled before labor, you shouldn't have a problem. If it is high then the lo makes a lot of insulin to compensate and then after birth still has a lot of insulin hanging around which can lead to low blood sugar. If it is severe they may have to take the baby to the NICU for a few hours to stabilize the sugar. They checked Des's sugar often in the few hours after he was born, but he didn't have a problem so they let him stay with me.

I would just say make sure everyone knows you want to breast feed and to only give formula if absolutely necessary.

Thank you Vicki!

March 24th, 2011, 07:04 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Colostrum is wonderful for the babies sugars! I never had a problem and DD sugars were perfect at birth even though they gave me sugar water right before it was time to push due to my sugars being 40

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

March 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DS1 was FF in hosp, and ff and bf until he was a week old, on day 8 I went straight to EBF and did that for six months. I am not planning on this baby being in NICU at all, so I will be EBF right away.

Lucky mother to five!

March 25th, 2011, 03:34 PM
It should be completely okay, even if you're controlling with insulin. My OB didn't even mention it as a potential problem (I'm diet only), but when I asked, she assured me it would be fine.
March 30th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I let the hospital staff know that if my son's blood sugar numbers were low, i wanted to nurse to bring them back up. His numbers were fine, though, so we didn't have to worry about it He nursed like a champ as soon as I was out of recovery and my milk actually came in faster than the first time around......
April 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM
The nurse I met with said that the nurses will monitor my blood sugar during labor and that if they are high I will be given insulin during labor to make sure baby isn't born with low blood sugar.
April 18th, 2011, 03:11 AM
they will monitor your baby's glucose level after birth and if it drops too much they should have a bottle of sugared water ready - with both my last ones the sugar did drop too low (even though I managed to keep my sugar levels under control before) and they both got a bottle, however that did not stop them from being really hungry and feeding well.

In or hospital they took the blood for measuring the sugar with a horrible mega-needle so we insisted of using my own prick set on lowest level (causes less pain and crying).
May 19th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I don't think so. Everything I've heard says breast milk is great for babies sugar levels.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search