need some advice

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Super Mommy
This is my second pregnancy with GD. The first time, I was able to manage well with diet and a little exercise until my back gave out on me at 32 weeks, had early labor, etc. But I still did fine with the diet alone.

For breakfast, I was able to eat eggs with ham, peppers, and cheese a piece of whole grain toast- breakfast was my touchy time.

By lunch, I could have a wrap with a regular tortilla, chicken, veggies, etc., cottage cheese and an apple. By night time, I was able to have 3-4 servings of carbs for dinner, even red potatoes. And even without exercise I could manage to stay under 130, which was my Dr.'s cutoff.

This time around.........not so much. Breakfast is always fine actually, I eat the same thing everyday. But lunch and dinner are so hard. I can't have more than 2-3 carb servings without having a number over 120, which is this Dr.'s cutoff.

Last night, I had a cheeseburger with half a whole grain bun, and half a cup of pasta salad made with whole grain penne, veggies and a low sugar italian dressing that I got from Kraft diabetes recipes. My total grams of carbs were less than 40. My number an hour later was 137....This is a pretty common scenario.

I always eat my snacks between meals. They usually consist of cheese/nuts and 1 carb serving of fruit or a protein bar. Some of the more "filling" snacks that the diabetes educator suggested, like a half bagel with cream cheese, would surely make my sugars high after an hour, even though it's a snack around 1.5 carb servings.

I am feeling like the only way to manage on diet this time around is to eat meat, veggies, and maybe 1-2 carb servings of a grain or fruit. Or 2-3 and walk for at least a half hour afterwards, but that's not always possible.

It just doesn't seem like enough food. I don't have any ketones, and my Dr./diabetes educators think I'm doing fine, but they always ask if I'm feeling satisfied on that amount of food. Lately, I'm not but is it really worth asking to be put on insulin for just that? I'm not sure what to do.

I have a follow up with my Dr. on the 13th. I am getting the feeling that they are ok with what I'm doing as long as I'm feeling satisfied after meals. So basically that means the choice is up to me.......what do you think?

Sorry it's long, I just am confused. Oh, and my fasting numbers in the morning are always between 70-85.

Any advice would be appreciated! I was diagnosed this time at 21 weeks, and I'm partway through my 30th week. So I still have a little ways to go.
JUST starting to think about TTC#3. It will take a lot of courage and prayers!

Last edited by tulipmomma; July 4th, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
July 4th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Liz_SD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to Liz_SD
this is my first pregnancy and i was just diagnosed with GD and feel exactly like you ... i could have almost written the above post. i wish i had some advice other than if the docs seem happy with what you're doing than it must alright. maybe cut the bread carbs as much as you can? you're in the home stretch so hang in there mama!!!

July 5th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I've managed one pregnancy with diet alone and two with insulin and in my opinion the insulin is a mixed blessing. I didn't mind the injections and it's great to eat again without too much worries (this was the first pregnancy with insulin) but if your body needs a lot of it, then the risk of having a hypo (i.e. too low sugar levels) can make it very hard to control, too (that was my second pregnancy with insulin). In your case you probably won't need a lot, so I would defo go ans ask your doctor for some.

(If the baby is not overweight, then your numbers should still be allrigth, if your baby seems to be too big around the waist, then insulin would be a good idea, anyway)
July 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to swozze3 Send a message via Yahoo to swozze3
I agree with a_kati I've had insulin with all 3 pregnancies and the 3rd one has been the worst insulin wise and do end up with severe lows at times cause I am on so much insulin but I am in the home stretch of things nowso I am only watching and reducing my insulin daily or as needed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search