Gestational Diabetes More Than Once

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I was diagnosed with GD at around 10 weeks with my oldest daughter. One night I felt really nauseous and started getting really dizzy, and my husband said I was so incoherent, I didn't know where I was when I was in the ER. After the ER diagnosed me with heartburn (they did nothing as as testing why I was like that, and used heartburn as a way to just get me out of the ER, I think), I went to the doc the next morning for a follow up and I told them I wanted to be checked for GD, since my mom had just recently been diagnosed with type 2. So they sent me to the lab and did the blood work for a 1 hour. My fasting glucose before the sugar drink was 204! After the glucose drink, I felt really sick to my stomach, and when they tested again, it was in the 300's. Insulin shots 3-4 times a day and a cardboard diet from then till the end of the pregnancy. When I was pregnant with my second daughter, no diabetes this time, but had problems keeping my sugar readings above 80 even after meals. Needless to say, I ate a lot that pregnancy and gained over 60 pounds and never could lose it after that. My third pregnancy I was diagnosed yet again with GD, this time catching it at 8 weeks, before any real trouble started, thanks to a wonderful OB-GYN. He had me start tracking my numbers on my home meter from the moment I found out I was pregnant, with a normal diet, and found that my sugars were fluctuating too much and stabilizing at a level higher than he wanted them to be. Not nearly as bad as the first time, and no shots, but I did have to take glyburide to help keep the numbers down, and my daughter had blood sugar problems when she was born as a result of taking the medication to keep my levels down. I am just concerned, now that I've had GD twice and family history, that if I get pregnant again like my husband and I would like, I will have the GD again, and that it may not go away after the baby is born.

Anyone else have similar problems with GD?
July 12th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I'm managing the fourth pregnancy with GD right now and will have my first insulin injection in an hour. I found it really hard to convince myself that getting pregnant would be a good idea (had my husband take me out on a really expensive dinner before starting with number three just so I could remember the lovely food, this time, however we forgot the "preconception dinner" and will have it afterwards).

My doctor is convinced that it is not the pregnancy that will make me a type 2 eventually but that regardless of how many kids I have I will end up a type 2 sooner or later anyway. I hope I'll manage to keep it off some more years by excercise and keeping my weight.

And what is 9 months suffering compared to all the years you will be changing napies, getting woken all night, doing their homework, waiting for them to come home, puberty trouble and all that stuff?

To be sure, I'm being greatly admired by my husband who sais he would go crazy with the diabetes. Helps a little bit.
July 13th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My internist said that most people start showing signs of insulin resistance ten years before they develop Type 2 Diabetes and their glucs start going up. We're all just "lucky" enough to have it caught during TTC or pregnancies. The goal once baby is born is to catch the diabetes before it causes damage-so A1C's every 3-6 months, and some get you doing glucs randomly. Ideally those two interventions and usually adding met or glyburide "prevents" your pancreas from burning out within the ten years.
I was dx with gd at 26wks with DS1 went on insulin for the rest of pg. 12 weeks pp did my A1C and it was normal. Since then I've been on met and 3 months A1Cs. I did infertility stuff then and was dx with IR.
I got pg this 2nd time and started home glucs at 4 weeks, insulin at 5 weeks. Hoping for another break without a Type2 dx pp--we'll continue the same prevention process until I develop Type 2--there's a strong family hx on both sides, I'm overweight and IR, so I know it'll happen eventually.
July 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hi! I have the same concern since I'm on my second pregnancy and second bout with GD. I'd like at least 3 kids, but the way I've been looking at it is this: you can't really prevent having GD or developing TTD if it's in your genes. As long as you can maintain a healthy pregnancy and carry those good eating and excercise habits into your postpartum days, months, and years, you can at least hold the TTD off for as long as you can and just enjoy being mommy! Best of luck!

Tags
diet , gestational diabetes , glyburide , insulin

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search