Fasting glucose

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Hi,

I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow and my gd has been controlled with diet and exercise so far, since being diagnosed at 28 weeks. My fasting numbers were averaging 75, but for the past week or two it's been around 85. This morning and the day before yesterday it measured 90, so I checked it again immediately and got 84/82 (which I would have been very pleased with in the first place!). I usually check fasting at 9 hours, and actually have noticed that the 9 hr numbers are lower than the 8 hr numbers (but not significantly, like 5 points), and my dr wants fasting below 90.

I'm going to try to play around with my bedtime snack. I've been eating unsweetened soy milk (3g carbs, 7g protein)with Kashi cereal (18g carbs, 12g protein), basically the whole time. A turkey sandwich didn't make my fasting glucose any lower than the cereal. Neither did an unsweetened protein shake.

Any advice?

Anyone re-check glucose levels to see if you get a more favorable reading or to check for accuracy/precision?

Thanks!
July 29th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Since the meters are so inaccurate I regularly check all values higher than my allowed threshold - if the second reading is lower than threshold, I take that, if it's the same -well, then it's the same.

In my last pregnancies a night time snack of about three spoons full of greek yoghurt at around 3-4am worked wonders because it suppressed my liver delivering blood sugar in the early morning.

If your Dr. wants your fastings below 90, then I guess your chances are good that you'll manage to get through the next three weeks without needing to start medication. From what I read mornign fasting numbers are not easily influenced.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search