Hello

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The other day I was notified I'd failed the 1 hour glucose test. I was being seen at a birthing center because they have birthing tubs and the hospital does not. Not to mention I love the birthing center and have loved it since I was 14 when my aunt delivered there (it's been almost 10 years now).

So the midwife said that since my glucose was high I had to go see the nurse midwife at the OB/GYN clinic and talk to him about what's going to happen. The midwife said there's a 3 hour test and that I could talk to the NMW about taking it. Then she said that I could still attend my scheduled appointment with the birthing center next week Thursday.

Today I get to the appointment with the NMW and the guy tells me that because my glucose level was so high I don't have the option of taking the 3 hour test. They're just going to assume I have GD.

Needless to say I was pissed. I'm still pissed. I don't care if it still says my glucose is too high, I just want to be able to take the 3 hour test and know FOR SURE. The NMW says that since the test came back with the levels over 200 there's no point in taking the 3 hour test. But if that were the case, why wouldn't the MW just tell me this? She knew how high the levels were. So I'm thinking I'm going to call tomorrow to ask the MWs if it's possible to take the 3 hour.

If, for some reason it was a fluke, I'd like to know so I can go back to the birthing center and have the chance of a water birth.

What's even worse is that should it turn out to be that I do actually have GD and the diet doesn't help it and I need insulin, that means I have to deliver by 39 weeks or they're going to induce me. That means my baby will most likely be born in the last three days of October. That means that my best friend, who can no longer make it here before November 9th, will definitely not get to be at the birth.

I'll deal with the finger pokes 4 times a day, the diet, and the hospital, but I really detest the thought of being induced before 40 weeks. It's bad enough that to take the glucose test I've got to pump my body with way more sugar than I consume in a day.

Blah. Anyways anyone else who had this same problem, what did you do? Did you still ask to take the 3 hour? If so, what did they tell you?

I just don't see how I could have it. My weight gain has been pretty slow. There's been no sudden weight gain, no sudden weight loss, nothing. I've only gained 14lbs so far. The MWs said that's been really good seeing as I started out overweight.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

August 27th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have GD and have steadily lost weight the entire pregnancy--when I do manage to gain a pound or two, I've lost it plus some by the next appoinmtent. I had GD with my second son and also gained very little overall because I spent months losing. The only pregnancy I actually gained with was my first when I did NOT have GD So weight gain isn't necessarily an indicator of whether or not you have GD

I would definitely talk to the midwives about taking the three hour since lots of women "fail" the one hour but do fine with the three hour.
August 29th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Hi Sue,
I think you just got the first lesson in child rearing: you have a wonderful plan, but in fact there is someone else who's making plans now: your baby. No matter what you plan for giving birth, it's going to turn out different. Nobody could garantee that even without GD you wouldn't end up with an emergency c-section. Nobody could garantee that while giving birth you would actually want to have a bath, either.

On the other hand, giving birth is overrated, anyway. Compared to the days after birth, where you'll meet him/her for the first time, see "who" he is, where you'll both have to figure out how on earth breastfeeding is meant to work, how to get enough sleep, not to mention the next 20years you'll be rasing your child to grow up a happy human being.

In my hospital they don't induce before due date if the diabetes is well-controlled (i.e. if you manage to stay under their thresholds for morning numbers and post-prandial and the child is not too big around the abdomen). In the guidelines they're following it is explicitely stated that there is no scientific evicence for a well managed diabetes to need early induction. Even if treated with insulin (two of my children were induced at 40+0/40+1 while being heavily treated with insulin).

If you prick and test in the morning and after meals for a few days and all values are OK without any change in diet (but still making sure you get 200g carbs each day so not to spill ketones), I would say this is the best evidence you can give anyone that everything is all right for your baby - even withour the 3h test.
I personally hate those tests and declined to do them in the last three pregnancies, preferred to do daily profiles now and then.

But to be honest, with the 1h coming back with such a high number, I wouldn't expect your numbers to be that good.

I wish you all the best (I cried for days when I got the diagnosis first, having read through the internet on the potential risks for my baby I just felt devastated that I couldn't be sure she was safe even inside me). Just remeber that being pregnant and giving birth is just the start for something far better

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search