Help: new and have questions

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I was just diagnosed with GD on Friday. I'm 28 weeks. I'm wondering what my numbers mean and how bad they may be:

Fasting: 81
1 hour: 212
2 hour: 172
3 hour: 136

I'm waiting for the diabetes clinic at the hospital to call me. Any advice on what to do in the meantime would be great. I have Celiac disease, so my diet is already very low in carbs (I eat a lot of protein, fruit, dairy, soy, and veggies) and I don't eat sweets. I've lowered my fruit intake until I go to counseling. Is there anything else I should be doing? The only thing my doctor told me was to watch my sugar intake. I'm just worried about harming my baby.
August 30th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
your fasting number is great--those are supposed to be under ninety One hour should be under 140 and two hour should be under 120, though, so a visit with the nutritionist should give you some more information on how to balance out your diet and see if you can get things under control that way

One thing you'll want to do is make sure your meals and snacks are fairly evenly spaced--I was told to eat every two hours, alternating a meal and a small snack. Balancing out carbs and proteins are also important--even though you don't eat any gluten products, there are other things that will fall under the carb category that you'll want to keep an eye on (fruit being one of them, as well as some dairy and veggies). For me, meals have two to three servings of carbs (30-45 grams) and snacks are usually one (15g) balanced out with equal servings of protein (7g per serving). I also find that eating raw veg, such as a salad, helps my body process the carbs I do eat so that instead of a big spike in blood glucose, things are slowed down and my numbers stay lower You might look up the protein/carb levels in the foods you are eating and see if they are balanced out

Good luck! I hope you can get in to see the nutritionist soon so you can get some information tailored to you and your needs
August 31st, 2011, 12:16 AM
And you should eat enough carbs otherwise your body will produce ketones which are potentially bad for your baby. Somewhere between 150-200g of carbs per day will do the trick (for me, this is probably more than I would regularly eat). I have (relatively cheap) ketone test strips that I use every morning to see whether I eat enough. Seems that with your kind of diet it would probably make sense to get those.
Good luck !

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search