Woohoo!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2011, 11:27 PM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't cancel my appointment that was scheduled for today with the birth center because I wanted to ask some questions, which is easier to do during appointments.

My regular midwives were all out for a bit so I saw a different one. She knew about me, though, because my main midwife had talked to all the others about giving me the 3 hour glucose test. And when she found out the nurse midwife at the OB clinic had just jumped the gun and taken me on as a full-time patient, she was NOT happy. He was just supposed to inform me about everything and talk about if I wanted to take the 3 hour test. He wasn't supposed to just assume I had GD.

So now there a very good chance I could get to take it! And I might pass it because my levels have been great with the diet. I even thought I'd see what happens if I had a normal meal and so last night I had a can of veggie soup with a grilled cheese sandwich (with two slices of cheese).

When I tested my blood sugar levels and hour after I started the meal (which is what the dietician told me to do) I was at 115, they want to see less than 140 for 1 hour checks.

My fasting check this morning was a big high, but I think it's because I ate such a carb rich meal (well, it was 63g) and then an hour later went to bed. My fasting check gave me 92. They want between 70-95.

But yeah I might get to take the 3 hour. I could very well pass, too! If I do I'll get to deliver at the birthing center!

And even if I pass I won't stop the GD diet. I'm going to continue it to make absolutely sure I keep my blood sugar good.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

September 2nd, 2011, 04:06 AM
It's a good idea to keep the GD diet, even if you pass the test. Usually the GD gets worse every week and is harder to controll - so perhaps keeping up the testing would also be a good idea.

Tell us how your 3 hour came out. I'm curious (your numbers are great, just be aware that a "normal" person without GD would have fastings under 80 and would be under 110 for the 1h, no matter what they eat).
September 2nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah I'll definitely be monitoring my blood sugars even if I pass.

I was thinking that alternating between the birthing center and the OB clinic for my appointments would be good, that way I can get to know the nurse midwife better just in case and he will know what I want for my delivery.

But if things go okay I would still be with the midwives and all.

Yeah the fasting numbers for me are a bit high. Even this morning it was 88, which, to me, didn't make sense because I ate 3 graham cracker squares, 2 tbsp peanut butter, and half a banana.

I really think fruit is going to have to be kept to a bare minimum for me. Yesterday and today my after breakfast sugars have been above 125. But the rest of the day it ranges between 96 and 115.

Well, it's either the fruit, peanut butter, cream cheese, or the tortilla. One of them is causing my sugars to go higher. But since this is my first week of messing with this I've still got to tweak things for me specifically. Figure out what's better for me and what isn't.

The 3 hour test I probably won't take for another week and a half at least. The midwife said they'd probably schedule me for it at my next appointment with them, which isn't until September 15th.

September 5th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Banana usually makes my sugars higher, I have to eat it with plain yoghurt to keep it under control. Far better are berries of all kinds, they are not so rich in carbs and somehow don't giveme spikes (also I love raspberries, my freezer is full of them).
I'm mostly eating brown stuff, can't have any white bread at all. But pasta with a lot of meat is OK as lunch for me - it's a big experiment.
September 5th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Oh yeah. I wish it was quicker and easier to test everything.

I had an apple with the tortilla and cream cheese yesterday and it made my sugars go up to 134!

There's no way around it, I've definitely got GD. After breakfast today of cream of wheat, milk, and 2 egg whites, my sugars were 132. I don't understand it. My fasting blood sugar was around the same as my mom and her hubby but after her breakfast of 2 pancakes with syrup, a sunny side up egg, and a cup of coffee with half and half and splenda, her sugars were 79. I wanted to cry right then and there.

I won't pass the 3 hour test. Only a miracle would make me pass and I don't see that happening. I'm trying to rationalize giving birth in the hospital. All I can do is make my birth plan and give a copy to the nurse midwife and hope he follows it.

The midwives at the birthing center send the women with high blood pressure and GD to this nurse midwife, so he already has to suspect what I want.

But I have only a few strict things: I want the room dimly lit, I want it warm, I don't want a lot of people bustling in and out, I want people to be calm (not just appear, but actually be calm or else I'll know), I don't want medical intervention unless it's absolutely necessary and even then I better have someone explain it to me and ask if it's okay or tell me why they have to just do it if they don't have time to ask. I also don't want my baby ripped from my arms as soon as the cord is cut and I want my placenta.

I have no knowledge of whatever else goes on so I'm just going to leave that up to the nurse midwife. I hear he's very good at his job. But we'll see.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search