GD Test Next Week

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2007, 02:45 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Hi ladies!

I have my first gestational diabetes test on Monday, June 25th. It's a one hour test but I do not have to fast beforehand. My doctor said to eat and drink something light but nothing too sugary. Why wouldn't I have to fast? Everything I have read about the test indicates a pregnant woman needs to fast in order to get accurate results. I am going to trust what my doctor told me but it just seems really bizarre to me. Anytime I've done any diabetic testing, I've always had to fast at least 8 hours beforehand.

Has anyone else not had to fast for GD testing?
Do you think they will take the blood from my finger or arm?
How many times do they take your blood?
What does the sugar drink taste like?
Anyone else with bad M/S been sick after drinking it? (one of my biggest worries!)

Thanks!

</div>
June 18th, 2007, 03:36 AM
kimita's Avatar Veteran
I have quickly been learning that different doctors do things differently.....here are my answers to your questions based on my experiences:

I did not have to fast for the one hour test. They said I could eat something before the test. But, once I drank the sugar stuff, I was told I could not eat or drink anything.

They took the blood from my arm. They took the "usual" amount that they usually take whenever I have blood taken - one "vile" (I think that is what they are called)

For the one hour test, they took my blood one time.
I failed my one hour test, so they had me take a three hour test the following week. During the 3 hour test, they took my blood 4 times (in hourly increments, beginning with a fasting blood draw before I drank the stuff)

The sugar drink taste depends on the flavor you get...the first time I had a red punch flavor....the second time I had an orange flavor. The orange flavor was easier for me to drink. I have heard it is easier to drink when it is cold. Also, the second time I had to drink it, I drank it with a straw...the nurse said it was okay, so hopefully it was. To me, it tasted like the syrup they use to make soda before the carbination is added. It is not that thick, but it is pretty sweet. It would be easier if you could sip it, but you have to drink it in a certain time frame, for me it was 5 min. It honestly was not as bad as I had imagined it would be. I did not have morning sickness, so I can not help you there.

Again, I have found that different people had different procedures to follow, so I help this gives you some idea as well as the experiences others will be posting. Good luck!
June 18th, 2007, 08:11 AM
bunnershunny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was also told not to fast for my 1 hour. I *think* they want to test how it would go with your normal diet/eating patterns and if you fail that, then you get to do the fasting for the 3hr. (Just a theory on my part though.) But I would stay away from anything sugary or even too much carbs in general. For me they just did a finger prick for the 1hr test, I got the 4 vials for the 3hr. And the drink isn't too bad, though it depends on the flavor you get I suppose. I had the fruit punch for the 1hr, and the orange for the 2hr. They just taste like extra sugary versions of those drinks. I'm not a big sweets fan, so I thought they were kinda gross, but I didn't have any problems with them making me feel sick. I was worried about that too.

</div>
June 18th, 2007, 04:19 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Thanks ladies. I'm glad other women didn't have to fast before taking the GD test. I was concerned my doctor was mistaken and should have told me to fast. I'm glad I don't have to though! I'm not worried about getting blood drawn because I'm so used to it. I just hope the drink doesn't make me sick! Thanks again for all your input. I really appreciate it!

</div>
June 21st, 2007, 02:38 PM
IMakeBoys
I fasted for my one hour but that's just the way my ob does it. They took my blood from my arm for the one hour and I had it taken 5 times during my 3 hour test but they only took the usual amount twice. The other three times they took maybe half the usual amount. I had the orange drink both times and it tasted like an extra sweet orange Crush. I drunk it at home for the one hour and at the hospital for the 3 hour and I had to chug it during the 3 hour test. But I was so thirsty by then drinking it was no problem. I didn't have any side effects after drinking it. But if your little one's anything like mine, it'll make him extra hyper and he'll be moving around like crazy.
June 23rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
I have always had to fast
as it gives your true ac sugar level
and the stuff tastes nasty but if you slam it back fast enough you don't taste it.

Another thing you may want to do after drinking it is walk around. If you sit like a lunk you could have a higher sugar level than you would if you where at home or work doing things after eating. Now.... if at home or work you sit like a lunk then do that during your test too lol

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search