new here and need ideas

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Hi all,
My name is Mary and was diagnosed with GD a little over a week ago. This is my 4th child, with a c-sec planned for Aug. 8th, and my first bout with GD. I am controling my numbers with diet alone right now, but am having trouble with my fasting numbers. My doc. says numbers need to be 90 or less for fasting and less than 140 1 hour after meals. I have no problem controlling numbers during the day at all, but these darn fasting numbers are really ticking me off! My highest has been 102 they ususally range in the upper 90's and I cant get them down yet. I know I have only been at it for short week, but it is so frustrating. I have a couple questions too.. I have been so busy worrying baout what I am eating that I am forgeting to drink my water, I heard thi can effect your levels, has anyone found this to be true? ALso, I know for a fact when I am realy upset or stressed at the time I take my level, it will be higher than normal, so trying to stay calm LOL yea right! Did anyone find that exercising at night instead of the day helped with fasting levels, I just hate to because it keeps me up. Also, does sleep have to do with the fasting levels, cause I am definately not going to sleep on time lately and not getting as much rest as I should.
Well, sorry to overload you guys, but I am sure you know the feeling of just getting diagnosed and freaking out a bit.
Thanks

C-Sec scheduled for August 8th!!

<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">"How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers." ~Bl. Teresa of Calcutta </span>
June 24th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Try having a few crackers with peanut butter on them before you go to bed at night. The amount of sleep should not affect your levels unless you are very active while your up all night.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
June 24th, 2007, 07:59 PM
bunnershunny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Stress will mess up your levels, so try to take it easy. (I know, easier said than done ) And yep with what Cindermella said, make sure you're having a snack before you go to bed. A combination of protein and carbs. I usually had peanutbutter toast, or an egg with an english muffin. If you eat protein and carbs before bed, it helps keep you levels even all night. If you don't eat before bed, your body will run out of glucose in you blood, and start tapping fat for fuel, which will cause your blood sugar to spike, and you get a high fasting number. Anyway, give it a go and let us know how things go.

</div>
June 24th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Stress will mess up your levels, so try to take it easy. (I know, easier said than done ) And yep with what Cindermella said, make sure you're having a snack before you go to bed. A combination of protein and carbs. I usually had peanutbutter toast, or an egg with an english muffin. If you eat protein and carbs before bed, it helps keep you levels even all night. If you don't eat before bed, your body will run out of glucose in you blood, and start tapping fat for fuel, which will cause your blood sugar to spike, and you get a high fasting number. Anyway, give it a go and let us know how things go.[/b]
Very cool, I am ging to try that right now. I love peanut butter and crackers, so yippie for me tonight! I hope that works, I will let you know tomrrow. I also was able to get a walk in tonight around 7:00 and I made sure to get at least 8 glasses of water in today also. My last reading I took an hour after I started my dinner and it was 108, so I am happy with that, they have been around 118 thelast few days. Anyway, thanks for the advice and I am off to enjoy some yummy peanutbutter!!

<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">"How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers." ~Bl. Teresa of Calcutta </span>
June 25th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Well, not working quite yet. I had a few crackers with peanutbutter on them before I went to bed last night, boy did I enjoy that! But my reading this morning at 6:20 was still 101. I guess I will just keep trying different things until Thursday when I go back to the doctor. Today I am going to try to really beef up on the exercise and drink my water. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

June 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM
bunnershunny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Keep an eye on the amount of carbs you're having with that evening snack. I think no more than 30g carbs. And then try 1oz protein for each 15g carbs. And crackers may not be the best choice (I don't know what kind you're using) because they're simple carbs that become sugar very easily. Try for whole grains as much as possible.

</div>
June 25th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Keep an eye on the amount of carbs you're having with that evening snack. I think no more than 30g carbs. And then try 1oz protein for each 15g carbs. And crackers may not be the best choice (I don't know what kind you're using) because they're simple carbs that become sugar very easily. Try for whole grains as much as possible.[/b]
okay, last night I tried just regular saltine crackers, the label says 5 crackers = 11 carbs and the sugars =0
I put a table spoon of peanutbutter (1 protein) between the 5.
Maybe I should try a piece of whole wheat toast instead?
Also I have another question about fasting numbers.

I read on another post of someone that couldnt get her morning numbers down and they put her on insulin at bedtime. But she said something like.."they think it is just hormones" my questions is compared to what? I thought this all had to do with the planental growth hormone.
How does just your morning fasting scores effect the pregnancy, is that enough to require med? and if so how high would they have to be? One more thing, since it is just my fasting numbers that are a little high, what is the first thing dr. usually do?
With all these questions you might think I think you are a doctor! LOL SOrry my head just fills with so much and I havent been able to figure out how to send a private message.

June 25th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Keep an eye on the amount of carbs you're having with that evening snack. I think no more than 30g carbs. And then try 1oz protein for each 15g carbs. And crackers may not be the best choice (I don't know what kind you're using) because they're simple carbs that become sugar very easily. Try for whole grains as much as possible.[/b]
okay, last night I tried just regular saltine crackers, the label says 5 crackers = 11 carbs and the sugasrs =0
I put a table spoon of peanutbutter (1 protein) between the 5.
Maybe I should try a piece of whole wheat toast instead?
Also I have another question about fasting numbers.

I read on another post of someone tht couldnt get her morning numbers down and they put her on insulin at bedtime. But she said something like.."they think it is just hormones" my questions is compared to what? I thought this all had to do with the planental growth hormone.
How does just your morning fasting scores effect the pregnancy, is that enough to require med? and if so how high would they have to be? One more thing, since it is just my fasting numbers that are a little high, what is the first thing dr. usually do?
With all these questions you might think I think you are a doctor! LOL SOrry my head just fills with so much and I havent been able to figure out how to send a private message.

June 25th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
you just migt need a little insulin at bedtime. Talk to your doctor about it

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search