Lucy Violet's Early Arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By LadieBug

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Host of March '10 PR
The abridged version: My water broke at 33 weeks, I was on hospital bedrest for a week, and set to be indudced at 34 wks. I went into a sudden, fast labor before the induction, which allowed no time for an epi, and my husband didnt get there in time! Baby was born healthy and had a short NICU stay but is now home and thriving

The novel:
December 1, 1:30am: I am awoken at night by my water breaking. No other symptoms, I feel totally fine besides huge gushes of fluid. DH and I hurry to L&D.
They confirm I have ruptured my membranes. It all starts to sink in as I hear them tell DH I will be admitted to the hospital, and won't leave until I have the baby. I am hooked up to an IV and taken to a delivery room for monitoring over night. They hook me up to a heart rate monitor for baby and a contraction monitor.
I am given a steroid shot in my butt, which I'm told would help babies lung development. Ideally they wanted to get two of these shots in me before I gave birth, one today and one in 24 hrs.
I was given a bedside U/S to see how much fluid was still around baby. I *think* they measure it on a scale of 1-13, 13 being the best. My fluid was looking pretty good at a 9. It was still leaking here and there, but it is also able to replenish itself somewhat.
The goal overnight is to prevent me from going into labor. I think they wanted to wait until my Dr got in in the morning to see what they wanted to do with me. The good news is, I wasnt having any contractions. I tried to rest overnight but I was so nervous. DH stayed with me until morning, and then went home to get DD and take her to dance class.

December 2 through 6: The next week is somewhat of a blur to me. I spent the whole week on hospital bed rest. I had a more thorough U/S on Monday to check babies organ development, fluid levels, and weight. All looked good and she was estimated at 4lbs, 11 oz. My fluid was at a 7, still good considering.
My Dr developed a plan for me- I'd stay on bed rest until I reached 34 weeks (December 7), when they would induce me. If I went into natural labor on my own before then, they wouldnt try to stop it. The biggest risk of ruptured membranes is that the baby and my uterus are very susceptable to infection. At 34 weeks, the Dr tended to feel the risks of leaving her in were greater than the risks of taking her out.

I tried to get as much rest as I could in the hospital. I struggled being away from my 2 year old. She came to visit me a few times though, and I had many other visitors. I watched a lot of TV. I did some online shopping from my ipad. I gave myself a wonderful manicure As the end of the week approached, I started wondering if taking baby out on Friday was the right thing to do.

December 6 evening: The Dr came to check my cervix for the first time. With the induction scheduled for the AM, they wanted to see if my cervix was "ready", or if they needed to ripen it.
The check showed that it was not at all ready.

11:00pm: That evening I would be moved to L&D, where they would put this little string thingy (called cervedil) up inside me that would help get my cervix ready for the induction. It would stay in for 12 hours, at which point they would check my cervix again and likely start the pitocin.

DH was at home with out daughter. He was going to come in first thing in the morning, since it didnt seem like much was going to happen over night. I was told the cervidil might cause a little cramping, but that I should be able to sleep through it.

12:00am-2AM Dec 7: I start getting mild menstrual-like cramps. They seem to be getting a little worse as time passes. At some point I start wondering if they are contractions, although my nurse tells me they arent bc the monitor isnt picking them up.

3:00am- 5am: The cramping is getting intense. It feels like I have a huge gas bubble that I can't pass. I ask my nurse about an epidural- when will it be available to me? She isnt much help, she tells me they will check my cervix at 11:00am and depending on how it looks, will give me my epi then. I ask a few more times this hour, because the pain is getting pretty bad. She still gives me the same answer so I ask if there is something else I can take to help with the pain. Eleven AM is hours away, I couldnt imagine dealing with this pain til then. She stalls a bit, and finally suggests stadol. She needs a dr to check my cervix first though. A resident Dr comes in and checks my cervix, which I believe was a 3.5. Nurse still stalls about my stadol, at this point I'm in so much pain I dont really know whats going on around me. Plus I am alone.
At some point I think I was checked again, and the Resident Dr tells the nurse she can page the anethesiolgist for my Epi. Again I feel like my nurse was over there slightly stalling, I dont think they ever made the page. At this point I was practically yelling at them for my epi.

At 6am I think to text DH, telling him to come in ASAP. I didnt think the baby was coming yet, I just knew I was in a lot of pain and needed him by my side.

It was around this time that I realised this baby was coming and I was going to deliver without pain meds and without my husband there.

I vaguely remember the room filling with nurses and I knew something was happening. They put an oxygen mask on me, and I prayed they werent taking me to c-section. I was in too much pain to ask what was happening. I have strong urges to push and they tell me to wait, dont push yet. I think at this point she was pretty much ready to come out, but they needed to get everyone in place.
Next thing you know, a resident Dr is flying into the room. Someone is yelling for them to page the Dr on call. I see the resident Dr suiting up. He tells me that I can push on the next contraction, and that baby will be out in one push.

I am in so much pain at this point and would do anything to relieve it, so when the contraction comes, I push with all my might and more. She is out! She is crying, music to my ears! The NICU nurses are doing something with her in the room, and I watch the Dr deliver my placenta, and then give me a few stitches. I had a very small tear, compared to an awful 3rd degree tear with DD1. I feel GREAT physically! But, did I just really give birth with no pain meds and did my husband really miss the birth? It still didnt sink in.

The NICU nurse brings bundled up baby to me and lets me hold her for 2 minutes. She weighs 4lbs, 8oz, and is 18 inches long. She looks great And she looks just like I remember DD1 looking!
Then they take her away. I call DH to tell him she was born- he is almost at the hospital. The poor guy starts sobbing that he missed it and wasnt there for me. I assure him its alright, and he and DD arrive at the hospital soon after.

Lucy stayed in the NICU for 9 days. She had high billirubin levels and spent a few days under the lights. She also had to have a feeding tube in for a while bc she was often too sleepy to eat. She never needed any breathing assistance. Once she started gaining weight, she was discharged.
Although it was difficult to have a baby in the NICU and another child at home, we managed. Thank goodness it was only 9 days. And the NICU nurses were wonderful!

So there you had it, Lucy just wanted to be home for Christmas!

If you had told me on November 30 that my water would soon break, I'd never believe you. What a whirlwind this month has been for our family... but we are so happy and blessed to have Lucy home & healthy.
December 20th, 2012, 08:04 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
What a wild ride! My heart breaks for your DH not being able to be there! That must have been so hard on him!

I'm so glad that even though Lucy had to stay in the NICU, that she is now home and healthy! It's going to be a fun Christmas for you! Congrats Rachel!!

December 20th, 2012, 09:31 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That story is crazy but with a happy ending! Ugh that nurse sounded awful but kudos for you for making it through that alone and with no DH! Wowzer! Definitely not a normal situation but now that you are home with her I'm sure it will make for an exciting story

Congrats again Rachel, she is gorgeous!

December 21st, 2012, 06:28 AM
Mommy
Wow! That's crazy. You're a very strong woman for going through this alone. Congrats on the new baby.
December 21st, 2012, 08:40 AM
Veteran
Wow. That must have been scary being alone. In hindsight 1 push wow that is awesome!

Glad you are all home together for the holidays!

Mom to Ryan (11) and Ashley (4)
Expecting #3 January 9/2013

December 21st, 2012, 09:19 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
WOW! I have to admit, when I got to the part about DH sobbing, I started crying myself. How he must have felt!

But kudos to you for getting it done - no meds, no DH, and not even really aware of what was going on. What a champ!

Every birth happens a certain way for a reason, I believe. That was Lucy's way!

Thanks for sharing this!
x

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 21st, 2012, 09:30 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow, what a crazy whirlwind! You did great though and Lucy is beautiful!

December 21st, 2012, 11:02 AM
PickyNicki's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats! What a crazy birth story to tell Lucy someday! Glad all is going well now.
Reed Allen (5)
Ellie Nichole (2)
Clairre Julianne 1/14/13

December 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Omg!!! What a crazy story!!! Poor hubby!! So glad you and baby are ok!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

December 21st, 2012, 05:49 PM
JennyBaby2013's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My eyes filled with tears too when I got to the part about dh crying. (((((hugs))))) What a wild ride! Way to go momma!
Jacob (10) Matthew (7) Paige (5)
& Liliana (0)

Liliana Eve 1/14/13 ~ 8lbs 2oz and 19"

December 22nd, 2012, 06:12 AM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your poor DH must've felt horrible. So glad all ended up going well even if it wasn't the way you had planned it to happen So happy you now have a happy healthy little girl at home with you for Christmas!

December 22nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
MelibearMom's Avatar Melissa--expecting #4!!
Wow! That's crazy! I'm glad everything turned out okay though! So sad that dh missed it!

Hailey Marie 1-29-13 8lbs. 1 oz.
December 22nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Expecting #1
What a story! Lucy was ready to come out and wanted to come out quickly! Sorry your DH missed the birth though. Thanks for sharing your story.

December 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM
Super Mommy
Wow, what a crazy story! I'm so glad all is well but sorry DH missed it.
December 23rd, 2012, 11:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow that is quite a story! So happy you all are home and healthy! What a way for the little one to arrive!

December 25th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww so glad she's doing well. Poor DH... Mine would probably react the same way! Hugs to y'all! Merry Christmas.

and introducing Julia Pearl
December 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Host of March '10 PR
Yeah DH was sad to miss the birth, but like I told him, it got really crazy really fast, he would've just been in the way! I know it was so hard for him to see me in pain during my first birth, so I'm in some ways glad he didn't have to see me do it w/o an epi.
December 31st, 2012, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, sweetie, what a wild ride. Congrats on your little girl!

Mykelti James 01.21.13
January 1st, 2013, 12:16 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! What a story! It makes my heart hurt that your DH couldn't make it there, but it sounds like things progressed so quickly that no one could have known she would arrive so fast.

Congrats on your little Lucy!

P.S. I love the name Lucy Violet!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
January 1st, 2013, 01:44 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Water breaking so early would have scared the crap out of me. Congratulations on handling it so well!

I'm so sorry that DH wasn't able to be there. That would be the hardest part for me, I think. And DH? He'd totally be doing the ugly cry. I hope that you guys don't have to be separated like that again for a very long time.

Congratulations! I love the name, and I know that you're enjoying your new little bundle!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search