The birth of Caleb

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By ratladee
  • 1 Post By spicymustard
  • 1 Post By jojow

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2013, 08:02 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
The Birth of Caleb Sean Gallegos
Feb 18th 2013 1:08am
7lbs 13oz 20.5 inches long

Baby Caleb was due on February 15th, but I knew I would go later than that. My contractions started at 3am on the 17th. They were waking me up and coming every 20 minutes or so, I knew this might be the real deal because I barely had any braxton hicks at this point and these were painful! I tried my best to sleep through them and finally got up at 7 when Pea woke up for the day. When I was getting her ready for the day I swear she said the word "baby" for the first time. She is only 14 months old so she doesn't say much, but I had been trying to get her to say that forever! The contractions stopped that morning as we played and I cared for her. Pea and I laid down for our morning nap and slept for 2 hours, it was a great nap! Then we woke up and we all walked down to the PX and commissary, we bought Pea a swimsuit for the summer, some vanilla bean bubble bath for myself and a few other things. We also got a pineapple at the commissary. The contractions started back up at about 1pm but they were far apart, sometimes 20-30 minutes apart. I was taking pictures of my belly throughout the day because it was morphing into funny shapes! When we got home from our walk we played at the park because it was such a beautiful day! 50 and sunny out, we played with Pea's soccer ball and took her down the slide and I swung on the swing a little bit. We had so much fun! When Pea laid down for her afternoon nap the contractions started to pick up even more. I had 2 throughout dinner that I had to look out the window and not eat through them. I went upstairs to take a bath, I was going to do everything to make them stop if this wasn't the real deal, which I was certain it was NOT the real thing! I called my doula and talked to her for a bit, she said things might still be early but the bath would stop it if it was false labor. Well I kept having contractions the whole hour I was in the tub. I was just closing my eyes and breathing through them as they weren't that intense yet. I was relaxing my body and telling myself to surrender to my baby and let it happen. I got out of the tub and laid on the bed and talked to my doula some more. I just told her I would keep her updated as the day went on. My plan for this birth was to ignore the early stuff so I didn't wear myself out. My last birth didn't go as I had wanted it to simply for this fact, I invested so much energy into the early stuff that I lost focus and gave up when all the pain I had didn't get me anywhere when I arrived at the hospital. I was joking at birth class saying I would ignore it for so long that I would be in denial and probably have the baby in the car! When Pea woke up from her nap we all sat downstairs and played toys with her. We laughed and had such an amazing time just us 3, for the last time. I told myself if this was my labor it was perfect. Other than the contractions that were 10-15 minutes apart that I only had to focus a little bit through it was like a normal day. Another reason why I didn't think this was the real deal was because I didn't lose any mucus plug or have any bloody show, which I did have last time. I declined cervical checks this time around because it was such a huge mental block for me last time. Not that the birth center offered it to me, but even if they did I would decline. The time came to put Pea to sleep so we walked upstairs and I had a contraction at the top of the stairs that made me stop, well she continued and ran up the stairs into her daddy's mancave and came running out with shoe polish of all things. The things they get into when you can't chase after them!! I had thought about taking Pea to the babysitter before she went to bed so I wouldn't wake her in the middle of the night, but again, I didn't think this was it. So I laid her down for the night, and neither of us knew she would be a big sister in just a few short hours. A friend of mine that was in Pea's due date club with me was also pregnant again with me. We spent the 17th checking on eachother through facebook messages, both of us unsure if we would be having babies that day because we were both due around the middle of February. I would joke that if we had our babies on the same day we would need to buy lottery tickets. We both concluded that we would have our babies "soon". Later in the night while I was coping through my contractions and distracting myself through facebook I learned she had her baby! I was so jealous of her short easy labor. The good news also came with some bad news as I had learned that a horse I cared for all during highschool had been put down the night of the 17th due to severe colic. These were my distractions. At around 10pm I was going to watch a lifetime movie to distract myself even more but the contractions were getting to be really difficult. My doula suggested calling the midwife to let her know what was going on. I said my contractions were 7-10 minutes apart lasting 45 seconds to 1 minute in length. She said it would be a while, take a shower and go to sleep. I went upstairs to tell hubby my plan of doing just that. The shower was very uncomfortable as any movement seemed to make me have contractions, and I couldn't hold onto anything in the shower. If I was laying down and stationary they would come every 5-7 minutes, if I got up they would be every minute or two and last for 15-30 seconds. Just long enough for me to not want to get up to pee! So I got out of the shower and laid down. That lasted all of a minute. I was starting to say I couldn't do this. Hubby decided we should try to time them for an hour and see where it got us. We were still laughing and joking between contractions, he even got a video of us talking and then me having a contraction. I was very loud, I couldn't help it. It hurt a lot! I was trying not to make high pitched moans, I kept them somewhat normal or low and doing horse lips came naturally to me. I leaned over pillows on the bed, I knelt on the floor, I labored on the toilet. I was shaking so violently in my legs but it felt good to shake. It reminded me how Ina May said to shake a woman's thighs for cervix pain, which is all I had. I had SO much pressure on my cervix with my contractions. At around 45 minutes of timing contractions I was lifting myself off the toilet with my legs straight out shaking. Looking back this was my body beginning to push. But I never felt "pushy" I was just trying to not brace or tighten my cervix. Right as the hour was up I called the midwife on duty and she told me to come in. It was only 1145 at the point and I was very loud through contractions, I have no idea how Madison didn't wake up or my neighbors didn't come over wondering what the heck was going on! I told hubby to get Madison in the car as fast as possible, I was trying to put my shoes on, I didn't even grab a jacket. But I remember my phone charger, iPod (which I never used) and I grabbed a strawberry nutrigrain bar as I headed out the door. I had a contraction and held on to the car. Hubby said when he was upstairs grabbing some last minute stuff he thought the car was making a squealing noise and thought something was wrong but it was just me yelling! I had grabbed some kitchen towels just in case my water broke in the car, I threw those on the floor of the car (oh the funny things you do in the midst of things!) We still had to drive Pea to the baby sitters. I felt so bad I was yelling in the car I bet I scared her. I didn't even say goodbye to her I just told hubby to hurry and take her up there so we could leave, I needed to go NOW! The drive to the birth center was an hour long. Something I don't recommend while in transistion. There I was pushing in the car, still not knowing it. At this point I was fighting my body. Why not? I needed to keep this baby in til we got there. To me, fighting it was gripping the "oh **** bar" and the emergency brake, stretching my legs out and lifting my butt in the seat. I told hubby a few times I felt him moving down. I felt rectal pressure, I felt him squirming inside of me. I remember reading how to check externally for dilation by seeing how many fingers you could fit between your sternum and fundus. My belly looked like a small ball. I didn't think it made sense that you would only be able to fit 1 finger between the fundus and sternum at nearly complete, wouldn't that mean your tummy goes lower with contractions? But sure enough, I could barely fit a finger in there as I was holding and rubbing my belly. The contractions seemed to be one on top of another. It felt so good between contractions. I remember thinking to myself, this is what is supposed to happen, this is my endorphins releasing. They put me in a daze inbetween contractions. I would almost fall asleep. I called the midwife 10 minutes before arrival telling her to start filling the tub PLEASE!! In my most begging tone. I didn't even have a jacket on as we pulled into the birth center. Of course the step outside of the car triggered another contraction and the cold february wind didn't make it feel any better. I tried to run up the walkway, I told the midwife my bladder was about to burst. We rushed inside and got to my room. I finally got to pee. And I said should I just leave my pants off, and they said yes they were going to check me, and check me during a contraction. Oh dear God I did not want that! But when she did, as I hollered through it she told me I was 8-9 cm and complete during the contraction. She told me to try and push. I was laying on my side with my legs closed, she told me that was wrong and to grab my knee. Well everytime I grabbed my knee I would get a charlie horse in my butt. I was still asking about the tub, I needed to get in it, but it wasn't filled and it was too late. I still didn't feel pushy, even though she said that I was pushing and then I realized oh hey, maybe I am! So I pushed with my contraction. When it was over I lie there limp on the bed in pure bliss that I had a break. Then it would start again, I was roaring my baby out! Just like they said I would! I finally got the urge to push as he was crowning, one that I could actually recognise as an urge. I swore I was feeling myself tear, but I didn't! It burned just like they said it would. My darling husband was telling me in my ear "You're doing it! Just like you wanted! You can do it!!!" He was also videoing the birth. Finally, I felt us turn from one being, into two seperate lives as he was laid onto my chest. He cried right away. He was born in the caul, my water never broke. He also had a nuchal hand and the cord wrapped once around his neck. I had educated hubby all through pregnancy how neat and how lucky it is to have a baby born like that, in the caul. We waited until the cord stopped pulsing to cut it, something I had wanted to do with Madison but couldn't because she passed meconium during labor. I shouted that I did it!! And 5 minutes later my doula walked in. She missed the whole thing! But it's ok, I had my hubby and he was great. There was a huge difference in how he was this time versus last time. We learned the truth about birth together and was able it to experience it how it was meant to be this time. The midwife felt bad that I had missed out on the water birth so she let us have an herbal bath for free! It was great. I am not sore hardly at all! While I took my bath with my new baby, he was making the placenta print and then he made me my placenta smoothie. He was finally weighed and was 7 pounds 13 ounces 20.5 inches long with a 14cm head. The midwife served me some blueberry pancakes and bacon, it was the best food I'd ever had, even if it was microwave pancakes. Hubby told me that was the worst food ever. Guess I was starved! They also baked us our chocolate cake and we sang happy birthday to Caleb and blew out the candle. We laid down for about an hour and we got to go home at 7am! We slept for 2 hours and I'm still on my birth high! He's nursing like a champ

February 18th, 2013, 08:19 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. Awesome story. It's been 11 days and I'm still on my birth high. Dh also did better this time around. I made him read the hyonobabies partner guide. Congratulations! Beautiful picture.
ratladee likes this.

February 19th, 2013, 02:28 AM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
What an amazing birth story! Congrats
February 19th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Ravado's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great story! I am glad you got your natural birth. Congrats!!!
February 19th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Hoping for baby #2
Absolutely amazing, Congratz momma!

February 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM
stucklikeglue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I Love your story Miranda! I so cannot wait to meet you guys!!!! Love you all!!!!!

February 19th, 2013, 11:27 AM
jojow
Awesome birth, Miranda!! I'm so glad you finally got the birth you wanted and I am so proud of you! *Hugs* I love the fact that we were pregnant twice at the same time and had Caleb and Lydia so close together!
ratladee likes this.
February 19th, 2013, 01:21 PM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Such an awesome birth story!

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

February 19th, 2013, 01:55 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! I'm so glad you were able to have the great birth experience you wanted (mostly). Caleb is a cutie and I hope everyone is adjusting well. Enjoy your babymoon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search