Log In Sign Up

Matteo Elias

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 310
Time is already flying by! I can't believe my little one will almost be one week old on Wednesday! Here is his birth story as I remember it because I'm already getting amnesia or I'm just delirious from lack of sleep.

For me contractions started around 11pm on Feb 26th. They were pretty spaced out about 20-30 minutes but it was the first time I had had anything somewhat regular. I tried to lay down and sleep in between them but I'm a light sleeper and by the time I would start to get to sleep another contraction would hit. At first I was able to lay in bed with them but as the night progressed they became more intense and I became too restless. By 1 am I was up having my first bath of the night which only lasted for about 30 minutes because again I was restless. I went down stairs and tried to relax on the couch because I was still in denial that I was even in labor. I had always read that contractions would start in your back and wrap around your abdomen as your belly tightened. This was not the case for me. My contractions started in my bottom and worked their way up internally through my pelvis into my low abdomen. So for the majority of the night I kept thinking this can't be labor contractions. By 3 am I was in the tub again and the contractions were coming every 6-9 minutes. DH was still sleeping and I didn't want to wake him because I new I needed him to be alert the next day if this really was "it". By 5am I called the midwife because the contractions were between 5-3 minutes apart and I needed to know if I should come in and DH should not go to work. Since my contractions were still not consistent and were varying in intensity she wanted to see if I could stay home and make it to my 9am appointment. As soon as I got off the phone with her things began to pick up and I became more regular. We ended up heading into LD at 7am and I was contracting every 4 minutes.

Thank-fully I was already 4 cm dilated when I arrived to LD so that allowed me stay and not go home. But it wouldn't have mattered anyway because 30 minutes after we arrived the babies heart rate decreased down to 70-80 for about 5 minutes. After they repositioned me and stimulated his head internally he picked back up and I narrowly avoided a c-section. They moved me to a room, gave me some fluids, and anesthesia arrived pretty quickly for my epidural. The epidural was pretty painless but only lasted for about 2 hours. After 2 hours I began to get a dull ache on my right leg that became progressively worse with every contraction. We tried repositioning, but with in a few hours I began to go through transition and was shaking all over with the pain. My blood pressure was also climbing at that time, so we paged anesthesia for a second epidural. Within 2 hours after the second epidural I was ready to push and was very glad I had them put in a second catheter!! Thank-fully I was able to push Matteo out with 5 strong pushes and he was born at 229pm.

I did have some light mec when they broke my water and he came out with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck twice. The midwife and nursing staff suctioned him but he still sounded pretty mucousy to my husband and I. We did skin to skin contact for over a hour and then dropped the baby off at the nursery while I got settled into my room. In the nursery Matteo had a dusky spell and dropped his oxygen saturation which required him to need some supplemental oxygen. He was admitted to the special care nursery where he stayed until we went home on March 1st. The doctors ran several tests and in the end they felt he just needed more time transitioning than other babies. We are all home now and his first pediatricians visit went fabulous.
Reply With Quote
March 5th, 2013, 05:47 AM
AimeeD041727's Avatar PowerPuffGirls
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 1,898
I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well! Love his name!

Reply With Quote
March 5th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 20,755
Glad you guys are okay and at home now! Congrats!!!

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote
March 5th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 204

Reply With Quote
March 7th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Athme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 1,269
Thank you for sharing and again congratulations.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0