Log In Sign Up

Rosalinde George (long)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 820
As you all know, I'd been having contractions for several days, but was at the point where I'd figured she was never coming out (or I at least had a few more days) so I made plans for Saturday to chill with Monster at the park.

Saturday morning I woke up, and after I got Monster up and moving, went to the bathroom. Saw bloody show. Figured I was still good and had at least a couple hours if not a couple days. I was wrong. Very shortly thereafter, contractions were hitting me at 2.5 minutes apart, lasting 45-60 seconds. I put on the playlist I'd made for labor, explained to Monster that I wasn't going to feel good for the next few hours but it was OK because it just meant George was going to be here soon. We danced around the house. When one hit, I'd place my hands on the nearest wall and push against it while I rocked my hips. When they started getting more intense, I started humming because anything else scared Lils. (She was fantastic by the way. Kept coming over to give me hugs during contractions and telling me it would be okay.)

Texted my boyfriend at 10:30 to get home soon because I figured we'd be heading to the hospital before the end of the day. He apparently ran out the door as soon as he got my text, LOL. He got home, and I'm now dancing outside with Lily. He's trying to urge me along and I'm like nah...we got time. I wanna stay home and be comfy for as long as I can. Then not too much later...*the* contraction hit. The one that stopped me in my tracks and made me go OK! Time to go to the hospital!

Called my doula to let her know what was up, and we headed to the hospital. I'd taken an orange with me because I figured I hadn't eaten yet and would have a long labor ahead of me. (HAHA!) I never ate the ****** orange. I ended up using it like a stress ball in the car so that I wouldn't scare Lils because I couldn't move around to release the pressure. Get to the hospital, they check me before they do anything else because I 'look so uncomfortable' and they tell me I'm six cm. This was noon. O_O Holy crap!

So needless to say they got me back to a room fairly quickly. My boyfriend is out in the waiting room with Lily while everyone gets me settled (and we're waiting for his parents to pick her up.) Here is where things get hazy...lol.

I got in the tub as soon as possible. Unfortunately almost as soon as I got in there, I got the urge to push. Which I didn't meet the criteria for waterbirth so that was out of the question. I have to say it did help space my contractions a little bit though. My doula basically just poured water over my back and talked to me. Then I got out of the tub and went to the bathroom. She had me sit backwards on the toilet. Well, that was a bad idea. I might have, maybe, hit the wall a few times. The gripping the bar just wasn't cutting it. I went back to the bed to be checked, and was 7 cm. This wasn't even a full hour at the hospital yet.

The best pain relief at this point was actually just hugging her. I squeezed the jebus outta that poor woman. The nurses were awesome and TOTALLY supported my having a natural birth. At one point while I was hugging the doula, the nurse was behind me pushing on the small of my back (which felt amazing).

Then I was on the bed again getting checked, and I was completely effaced and 9 CM. I ended up rolling onto my side, grabbing the bedrail, and set my mind to ripping that thing off the side of the bed every time a contraction hit. Next thing I know I'm screaming and pushing and totally peeing myself. That happened for three pushes. On the third push, my water bag started to come out of me...and then it burst. I DO remember that very clearly. I actually thought George was coming out leg or arm first. Then...well, I know how it would feel now to bust a water balloon with my vaginal muscles.

Things get scary. I hear the nurses saying there was meconium in the water. I'm conscious of them calling the NICU team down. George is starting to crown. They roll me over onto my back. I grab a bedrail in each hand and scream bloody murder and push...and she comes out. Every last inch of her all at once. Time is 1:39. I remember thinking "oh ffffff....I just tore from belly button to butthole. I had to have!" (for the record - only three stitches.)

We had planned on delayed cord clamping, but that was a no-go with the meconium. I believe the first thing I said was "Its not supposed to go that fast is it?" (referencing how quickly everything had went) I catch sight of them taking George over to the warmer. Lots of thick brown hair...and she was purple. I'm freaking out. "She's purple! She's purple!" Everyone is telling me that its okay. That her color was getting better. "NO ITS NOT! WHAT IS HER PULSE OX?! WHAT IS IT?" They were telling me they hadn't done it yet. "THEN DO IT!" In the meantime, while this is going on, the dr is telling me I've got to deliver the placenta, and pulling it out of me. I looked. I promptly said "oh, that's disgusting. I'm not looking any more." and my boyfriend (who had finally been able to come in and focus on me at some point after I was in the hospital bed for the final time) put something over my eyes so I didn't have to. LOL.

Placenta gets taken care of, and I turn my attention back to George. They're trying to keep me from going into shock at this point. I'm shaking so hard I'm practically vibrating and having trouble focusing on anything except her. Even then everything seems surrealistic. Her sats are in the 70s. They're putting 02 on her...sats come up. They take the 02 away..sats go down. They do this three times. She definitely has to go to the NICU. However, they try one last thing and skin to skin her with me for a brief time. It doesn't work, so she goes to the NICU. Boyfriend goes with her.

I really blank on what happens immediately after that. But soon enough I had stopped shaking and started pestering the nurse about when I could go to the NICU. Then I'm going to the bathroom. Sitting on a chair and going over what had just happened with my doula who acted like she was so very proud of me. "You did it girl. You had a completely natural no-interventions-at-ALL birth!!"

Got an ibuprofen. Visited George in the NICU, and the rest of it is its own different story.

In summary: I didn't need drugs to space out during labor and delivery. I'm apparently quite effective at doing that all on my own. They had trouble getting me to focus on anything externally. The doula said they kept trying to get me to focus because I was riding that line were pain isn't effective anymore and just becomes torture. Oh, and natural childbirth completely freaking sucks. Sense of empowerment? No. Orgasmic? No. Joyous? NO! It hurt like a <insert colorful phrase about pain> and the only upsides to it were that all I've had to take for pain is an Ibuprofen every six hours and I was up and moving as soon as they'd let me out of the bed. My pain level after birth never got above a 3.

But I did it. And even spaced out I was still aware of what happened with George and able to bug the living crap outta them from the delivery bed.

And if my boyfriend ever even mentions the idea of having another child to me..I shall have to cut his manly bits off.

So George was born at 1:39 pm on 4/6/13 weighing 7 lbs 10 oz and was 20 inches long.

Reply With Quote
April 8th, 2013, 08:19 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,272
Wow, I can't believe it all happened so fast! I'm so glad she is here though and I hope she is doing better!

Reply With Quote
April 9th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 3,062
Icannot believe how fast your labor went! George was not waiting!

Glad you're doing ok and I hope George is doing ok and will be out of the NICU soon! Tessa was in the NICU for 2 days after I had her and I hated every minute of not having her in my room with me.
Oh, Sweet Child of Mine

Reply With Quote
April 9th, 2013, 03:45 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: AR
Posts: 19,828
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry that she's having issues and is in the NICU. You guys have been on my mind. I am hoping for the best possible outcome for her. Hugs!

Reply With Quote
April 10th, 2013, 11:30 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,501
Wow! What an exciting labor! So she's still in the NICU?
Reply With Quote
April 10th, 2013, 02:07 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area. CA
Posts: 11,030
quite the story! I'm proud of you for sticking it out and going natural I hope and pray George is doing better and coming home any day now.
Reply With Quote
April 10th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 1,700
I've been thinking of you! Hope things are going well. Any updates?? Thanks for sharing George's story

Reply With Quote
April 10th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 820
Well, her echo was clear and her head ultrasound was clear too. We got rid of the oxygen today! =) And if everything goes as planned, in about 1.5 hours, she should lose the IV sticking out of her head. =) ......With that being said...feeding is still going absolutely horribly and they are now having to tube 95 percent of her feeds. We can't get her to take more than 7 mls or so and she's supposed to be doing 61.

Reply With Quote
April 10th, 2013, 10:59 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,596
Sorry about the feedings, but at least the other results were clear. Good news!!!
Mommy to Jasmine (18), Kirsten (14), Ana (13), Katie (3), Xavier (1), and Gunnar (born 10-15-14)

New picture in progress......
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0