Lexi Dylan - Induction due to pre-eclampsia

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By fancypants27
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By sweety_pie
  • 1 Post By slmehaffey
  • 1 Post By MrsPea
  • 1 Post By jamieshalon2
  • 1 Post By ~Momma*2011~
  • 1 Post By allysmomma
  • 1 Post By cooper1414
  • 1 Post By mizza411
  • 1 Post By FishermansWife4
  • 1 Post By fmlbulridr018

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2013, 06:27 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This was my 3rd pregnancy and since we already had a girl and boy, DH and I decided that we wanted to be on team green. My pregnancy had been somewhat uneventful up to my 32w appointment. I had been on 1 iron pill a day for anemia as of May, however by late August I was feeling completely beat and blood test results showed that my hemoglobin had dropped to the low 80’s. I was upped to 2 pills a day. On Aug 30th, I had contractions all day and my OB instructed me to go into L&D as he was on call. They checked my vitals, had me pee in a cup, did an NST and DR gave me a physical exam. Vitals were great, NST showed an “irritable uterus”, physical exam showed 1cm dilated (normal since it was my 3rd), but the urine dip showed I had +2 protein. Dr decided to have me come back on Sunday for another round of testing. Sunday, was the same story…everything normal except +2 protein. I was given a jug for 24hr urine collection, dropped the jug off on Monday and was called to come in Tuesday morning. I was spilling A LOT of protein, however, my bp was still normal. They talked about immediate induction, but decided to do another 24hr urine test and have me come back Friday. I got a call from my DR on Thursday morning confirming our fears – I had pre-eclampsia. On Friday, I was +1 for protein, bp was normal, NST was fine. My dr decided to do an ultrasound to see if anything was up – we discovered that baby hadn’t grown since my 32w scan and that my placenta was highly calcified. He said he would be inducing me at 36weeks and possibly before. My next appointment was scheduled for Tuesday (34w 6 days), and I was given another 24hr urine jug. I started the urine collection early Monday morning and by the end of 24 hours my output was less than 600ml so I had a feeling something was off. My BP was raised (135/88) - which might seem normal to most, but my bp was always 110/70 or lower. My heart rate was 146. The dip protein test showed +2.5 to +3. I was moved to a room, where they turned off the lights and I was told I needed to relax. About an hour later the on call doctor came in, and told me she would be inducing me today – I was now classified as severely pre-eclamptic. She told me to call my husband and within 10 minutes I was hooked up to 4 IV lines, a Hep lock, foley catheter and my water had been broken.
Laboring SUCKED. I was on Pitocin and I was stuck laboring on my back in bed. At 4pm I asked for the epidural. At around 5 it was in…and not working. They gave me a bolus and nothing., except my bp getting lower. They tried another bolus and same thing. I was about 5cms dilated. Nurse asked me if I wanted another bolus and I declined for the time being as I was getting woozy between that and the magnesium. Pretty soon afterwards I felt a tingly feeling down below, nurse checked me and I was a 10. UGH…too late for the anesthesiologist to come fix the epi. It was about 7.30pm and they had to page the pediatrician and incident team to come to the hospital since the baby was a preemie. (This hospital has no NICU). Within seconds of being checked, the baby dropped…and the nurse had to hold my legs closed while PL ran to get the DR. This was probably the worst part for me. I had these unbearable contractions, knife in the side pain, ring of fire burning, crazy urge to push and I had to hold baby IN instead of push baby out for what seemed like an eternity. Finally the doctor got there, and I was told to push – and halfway through the push (baby’s head was out) I had to stop because the cord was wrapped around the neck. Once they cut the cord, they immediately put the baby on me which was a huge surprise because I was told I would not get to hold the baby until she had been examined by the incident team. I yelled out well is it a boy or a girl??? And PL lifted her leg and said It’s a girl!! About 2 minutes later the pediatrician arrived, she was examined and given a clean bill of health.

Because Lexi was a preemie, she had to have her blood sugars tested every 3 hours for 24 hours. She passed with flying colors each time. She also had to have some blood drawn for a CBC and blood culture. And because I was “severely” pre-eclamptic, I had to stay in the case room for another 24 hours hooked up to the IV lines and catheter, I had to have blood drawn every 3 hours (Hep lock only worked for 2 draws, then they’d have to move it), I had to have my vitals taken every hour, which meant no sleep. I couldn’t get up to get the baby if she cried, or change her. I couldn’t clean myself, use the bathroom or take a sitz bath. Definitely not fun. My hemoglobin dropped into the 70’s, so there was talk about a transfusion. They kept me an extra night and most of the day on Thursday, trying to figure out what to do about my anemia. The hematologist finally decided to discharge me follow up in his clinic in 2 weeks to see if my blood counts improved since having the baby.

I was so happy to be home, and be able to take a shower and get cleaned up. Since I was only expecting on being induced the 17th of Sept – I had not packed or brought anything with me to the hospital. And because everything happened so quickly, PL came to the hospital straight from work. Thursday night was a little bit hectic with all 3 kids, but we managed.

Friday I got a call from the hospital and my heart immediately sank. I had to bring Lexi back to the hospital immediately. Her culture came back positive for bacteria, and she was going to be admitted. The worst went through my mind as I packed a bag and called PL to come get us. At the hospital, they took a blood draw and we waited….and waited…and waited. Nurse came running in to tell us everything looked good, and it was mostly likely contamination giving a false positive, but that we would know for sure in 2-3 days. We were discharged once again.

Feeling so blessed that everything turned out well given the circumstances.

Lexi Dylan
4lbs 9oz
19"
34w 6d

www.hiboutchoux.com
September 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
That sounds like it completely sucked, but I'm glad she's here and y'all are both safe. She's a little darling! I love the picture of her checking out her fingers. And holy crap, her torso is the size of the water bottles in my fridge!!! I'm glad she didn't have to stay in the hospital, and I hope that test comes back fine for sure this time.

fancypants27 likes this.
Liliana Vale - September 25, 2013

Daniel Constantine - July 19, 2016
Save
September 16th, 2013, 04:07 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad all worked out good in the end and you both got to go home! Congrats again, shes sooooooooo adorable!!
fancypants27 likes this.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

September 16th, 2013, 06:17 AM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for sharing your birth story! How are you feeling now? I hope your hemoglobin regulates and you don't have to take iron anymore!
I'm sure Lexi's blood test will be ok. Until then just cuddle her up as much as possible! she is adorable!
fancypants27 likes this.
September 16th, 2013, 06:39 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!! She is so precious! I'm sorry labor was so hard on you, but happy you are both doing so well now. Try to get as much rest as you can and enjoy all the new baby cuddles!
fancypants27 likes this.

September 16th, 2013, 07:18 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
She is so darn cute. I just love it. She is a very good size for her gestational age. WTG momma. sounds like a scary experience with a very happy ending
fancypants27 likes this.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
September 16th, 2013, 10:35 AM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
She is so cute!! So glad you go to take her home. Such a scary thing to have happen but I'm glad that your beautiful little girl is happy and healthy!!
fancypants27 likes this.

September 16th, 2013, 01:05 PM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats...what a doll!!! Glad you guys are both home and doing well!!!!
fancypants27 likes this.

September 16th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Super Mommy
So glad it all turned out ok, although it sounds like a bumpy ride getting there. She is absolutely beautiful!
fancypants27 likes this.
September 16th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She is amazing and beautiful. I'm glad everything worked out in the end and that Lexi is home safe with you! Sorry you didn't get your pain relief though, and that you had to hold the baby in, I can't even imagine.

Hope someone is bringing you some Montreal bagels...mmm, I'm jealous you have access to them all the time
fancypants27 likes this.
September 19th, 2013, 08:51 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OH my goodness! She's so adorable! Hello there, Lexi
Despite the rocky beginning, I hope you're both doing well now and she gets to stay where she belongs: in your loving arms. Take care, both of you, and please keep us posted on how you and her are doing. Thank you for sharing your story
fancypants27 likes this.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
October 4th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
*lurking* I am glad everything turned out ok. She is a little cutie...
fancypants27 likes this.

October 8th, 2013, 02:31 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizza411 View Post
She is amazing and beautiful. I'm glad everything worked out in the end and that Lexi is home safe with you! Sorry you didn't get your pain relief though, and that you had to hold the baby in, I can't even imagine.

Hope someone is bringing you some Montreal bagels...mmm, I'm jealous you have access to them all the time
So funny that you mentioned Montreal bagels.. actually had my aunt pick up a dozen for me the day we got hone. Lol

www.hiboutchoux.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search