U/S today- happy but confused about dates

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By MelChicago
  • 3 Post By Babybear4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Just keep breathing.
I posted last week that I was worried and discouraged by an ultrasound that showed a smaller sac than expected. Well, today I had the follow up. I'm definitely pregnant There's a great looking gestational sac, yolk sac and fetal pole, measuring 6w1d. The tech said she could barely detect a flickering that was likely the heartbeat, but she wasn't able to record it.

Now, my LMP started December 6, so I was pretty sure I should be 7w1day today. (Last week's u/s on Jan 16 showed me at 4w5d, when I thought I was 5w6d). The tech said according to their computer, where they note LMP, they calculate me right on track with what they expect, with due date 9/20. But my general practicioner and every online calculator says my due date should be 9/12.

I guess I'm not too concerned, considering that an appropriate amount of growth happened between last week's and this week's u/s. But I'm just curious about the discrepancy in dates. Any thoughts?

I had a missed mc and a d&c in November, so this has all been difficult, but I'm feeling more encouraged. I know that I'm doing the best I can to take care of myself and this little one, and will just keep trying to look forward.
January 25th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My guess would be that you ovulated about a week later in your cycle than is "average", causing the discrepancy in dates. It sounds like baby is growing right on track, so I would go off of what the ultrasound says at this point, rather than LMP as that is much more accurate.

January 25th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Just keep breathing.
I did use ovulation predictor strips which had me ovulating at CD 15-16, though.
January 25th, 2013, 01:59 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the typical woman ovulates 24-36 after the last positive opk

based on your measurements today and your last, your right on track, meaning baby is growing right where it should be, making you about a week later than expected WHICH right now, it doesnt mean much cus you could have baby a week earlier, some go on to have babies 2 weeks late. Glad things are going well and that baby is there and growing.

The fact that the baby has grown appropriately is the most positive thing you should focus on
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

January 26th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That is fantastic news!!!!

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
January 26th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Super Mommy
Glad to hear the follow up U/S went well! Not sure why your dates would be off?

*Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!*
06/12 11/12

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 26th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Just keep breathing.
Thanks Ladies! Yes, I'm seeing my OB on Tuesday (I thought I'd be scheduling the appt for when I was 7w5d, but I'll only be 6w4d) and will ask her. I suppose it's theoretically possible to ovulate twice? or maybe I didn't REALLY ovulate despite the positive OPKs, just had a fake LH surge, and really ovulated a week later? I'll probably never know. As long as the baby keeps growing normally, he or she can come whenever s/he's ready!
January 26th, 2013, 05:55 PM
I'm in your EXACT situation! LMP was 12/6. I went in at what I thought was 7 weeks but they measured me 6w1d! So I must of ovulated or implanted later than what I thought. It's all good, we got a heart beat so that's great news! My due date went from 9/12 to 9/18.
January 26th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran
Happened to me too, My LMP was 12/5 but baby was measuring 11 days earlier. I was super scared and upset, but we did get to see a nice strong heartbeat so I'm trying to stay positive. I'm going back next week for another U/S to make sure the baby is growing the way he/she should be. Nerve-wracking for sure, but they said that this is fairly common. My cycles were all screwed up from having my IUD taken out, so it makes sense that I could have calculated wrong.

Make a pregnancy ticker

January 26th, 2013, 09:49 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelChicago View Post
Thanks Ladies! Yes, I'm seeing my OB on Tuesday (I thought I'd be scheduling the appt for when I was 7w5d, but I'll only be 6w4d) and will ask her. I suppose it's theoretically possible to ovulate twice? or maybe I didn't REALLY ovulate despite the positive OPKs, just had a fake LH surge, and really ovulated a week later? I'll probably never know. As long as the baby keeps growing normally, he or she can come whenever s/he's ready!
YEP that is quite possible, to gear up and show positive opk but not then a few days later to ovulate. My fertility dr said that to me, then I googled it.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

January 27th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My cycles are so irregular anywhere from 21-35 days apart. So my due date could be a week off either way. I won't know until I get my 20 week u/s though. Try not to stress too much!

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
January 28th, 2013, 06:49 AM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lurking over here. Something similar happened when I got pregnant with DD. We were actually preventing. I know exactly when I got pregnant though because DH was gone for the whole month except for two weekends when I saw him. He came home for Thanksgiving and I thought AF was on her way. Little did I know I was ovulating on CD 32 or so and we didn't use protection. When I told my OB when I got a + hpt he said things didn't quite line up so we would do an early u/s for dating. LMP due date was 8/2 and u/s due date was 8/21 and I had DD 8/24 at exactly 7lbs.
So, everything depends on ovulation. And it is possible to have an LH surge and not ovulate especially after a loss. Good luck to you though!

Oct '11 June '12
January 28th, 2013, 07:25 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
that's great about the u/s!! it's most likely that you ovulated a little later than you thought...or your little bean took its time implanting? but every baby grows at its own rate....

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search