What kinds of options do you have in your area?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Around here, you have the option between crappy OB A, or crappier OB B. There are no midwives locally, and the hospital has a high c-section rate, with nurses who push formula on mom's that actually need guidance and advice. If it's easy for you to nurse, they are great but if it causes them any trouble, then they just would prefer you use formula.

Personally, I have always had good experiences at my hospital and I like my OB but I have mostly uncomplicated pregnancies (some pre-term labor but nothing serious) and my labors have been quick and uncomplicated, as well as my recovery, so I was never much "work" for anybody. Anybody I have talked to that had complications or needed more assistance than usual from the nurses was treated poorly.

I am excited that they recently built a new hospital so I will get to stay in the room I deliver in and it will be private. In the past, I have always had to share a post partum room, so I got to deal with my bloody, disgusting self and care for my newborn, as well as listen to another new mom care for HER bloody, disgusting self and care for her newborn. Nothing better than looking at somebody else's bloody pad or mesh underwear when you're trying to pee!

There are some better options about 45 minutes away but I wanted to die on the 15 minute drive for both of my other labors, I can't imagine being in the car nearly an hour like that. I think by that point, I would either push my husband out of the car or jump out myself.

January 25th, 2013, 05:41 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It depends which hospital or location your in of which options are there.. good, bad, worse.. etc. Our hospital urges breastfeeding BUT if the baby is sick or premature then they give formula and that sucks cus its not fair to the ones who really want to breastfeed. My 7th son was born sick, and altho they didnt feed him first couple days when they did, they went behind my back and gave formula and said it wont have an effect on my milk that he wont or will like. Well it did cus he rather the bottle. That hit home big time. My dr doesnt like to do c sections but if an indcution is planned them you have to sign the forms anyways.. just in case. Our hospital hwere I had my boys are all private now, so in ways I rather stick with this hospital and just ream them out if they do something I dont like. I am considered a grand multip... meaning one to have many babies LOL and they tend to let me run the show under their supervision.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

January 25th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Lauruh's Avatar Mommy to Miss. Fusspot
Send a message via AIM to Lauruh
We have everything available here. I'm going with an OB who practices like more of a midwife. She is very low intervention and into natural parenting. We parent using both traditional and attachment styles so to have a doctor who caters to both preferences is wicked.

January 25th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Veteran
In my area you can have an OB, a birth center with a nurse midwife, or a homebirth with a nurse midwife. My first two were born in florida where birth centers and homebirths are done by CPMs instead of nurse midwives. In FL, nurse midwives are basically labor and delivery nurses who can actually catch the baby. they are very medical minded and pretty much have to do whatever their supervising OB tells them to. I am hoping that nurse midwives here are MUCH different and have more of the philosophy of the CPMs in florida.

I saw in the where is everyone located post that you are in Cali. California is a great state for midwifery; I'd be really surprised if there weren't any midwives that service your area. If you want to look into it and want some help trying to find one, I'd be happy to lend a hand.
DS ~ October 2007
January 26th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I go on post for my deliveries/appts. There is an OB/midwife clinic inside the hospital. If you are not a high risk pregnancy you automatically see a midwife. If you are high risk you have to see an OB. Last pregnancy I was high risk and saw only OB's. I have no idea how I will get labeled this time lol.

When you go into labor you are delivered by either a midwife or OB depending on whether or not you are high risk. You labor and deliver in the same room, and then get transfered to the mother/baby unit where you stay until discharged. Baby rooms with mama the entire time. I actually didn't mind the experience I had last time, so I have no real concerns doing this again here. It will be the first time ever that two of my kids will be born in the same state hee hee!!!

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
January 26th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Etph007's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My options locally are bad. I work at the local hospital and I wouldn't deliver there. The hospital I delivered at last time was great (about 40 min away) but this time I am with the high risk group which is about an hour and ten minutes away. Not ideal, but it's the best for us.
January 26th, 2013, 08:09 AM
CARLACB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a lot of different options here. If my doctor delivered at DePaul hospital, I would go because I sooooo love that hospital but my doctor ROCKS. Depaul is a Catholic hospital and tries to do everything as natural as possible. My sister had my niece there back in the 90s and they would give you the option between those big afterbirth pads or using cloth. They also had cloth diapers, midwives and doulas as an option, a jacuzzi, queen size beds, etc. Right after birth they actually prefer you to have skin to skin contact with your baby before they bath them (they actually do a dry clean real quick). I'm not religious nor do I do a ton of natural parenting things but MAN I just love that place. The only thing stopping me is me loving my doctor soooo much lol

The hospital I will give birth to this time is the same hospital that I had my first. I had to curse out a nurse because while I was sleeping she took my son without permission and gave him formula (b/c she thought I was tired). I was told she doesn't work there anymore but ugh. Other than that I had a pretty good experience.

Blended Family of 5 and 1 on the way.
Makhari 6
Maleaha 5
Coty, Jr 7
January 26th, 2013, 08:19 AM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a couple really great hospitals here, the one only 5 minutes from my house is probably the most "natural" birth friendly. The University hospital is about 15 minutes away and is next door to Primary Children's Hospital so it's where most people with complications (with the baby) usually choose to deliver, but it's not very "natural" birth friendly. We have a bunch of "birth suites" popping up all over northern Utah. We have one CNM (which is a nurse with a Master's degree specialized in Ob/Gyn) who delivers in hospitals and homes. We have a bunch of CPM's (which is a certified professional midwife, not able to deliver in hospitals, but eligible for licensure here) who deliver in homes and birth suites or birthing centers. And we have a TON of Lay Midwives (midwives who learned through a more traditional route, like apprenticeship, and usually choose not to be licensed) who deliver mostly in homes. (Licensure in Utah is not legally required.)
I see a Lay Midwife who is currently filing for CPM status through MANA. I love her. I was her Doula for her first birth 9 years ago. She delivered my daughter 18 months ago.

January 26th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Destiny
Our options are not so great, the local hospital (30 minutes away) has terrible OBs, the one good family practitioner just closed her practice. I'm told the next one over is just as bad, pretty sure I'd have to travel at least 3 hours for a remotely decent hospital. No birth centers and only one midwife, who is thankfully fantastic.

We're pretty deep in the boondocks, I just pray I never have a high-risk birth and have to deal with our ridiculous local hospital.

January 26th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by My3His1 View Post
In my area you can have an OB, a birth center with a nurse midwife, or a homebirth with a nurse midwife. My first two were born in florida where birth centers and homebirths are done by CPMs instead of nurse midwives. In FL, nurse midwives are basically labor and delivery nurses who can actually catch the baby. they are very medical minded and pretty much have to do whatever their supervising OB tells them to. I am hoping that nurse midwives here are MUCH different and have more of the philosophy of the CPMs in florida.

I saw in the where is everyone located post that you are in Cali. California is a great state for midwifery; I'd be really surprised if there weren't any midwives that service your area. If you want to look into it and want some help trying to find one, I'd be happy to lend a hand.
There are a couple that would do homebirths in the area, but none that work in the local hospital and I prefer the hospital environment for birthing. The city I live in is nothing like most of California. Where we may be moving to, on the other hand, is one of the most hippy-dippy areas in the whole state, so I would have more options for midwives if I was interested.

ETA: I COULD be wrong on there not being any midwives that practice in the hospital, because I did find ONE midwife in my town but her reviews were absolutely HORRIBLE.

Also ETA: There are tons of options if you are willing to drive 30-45 minutes for appointments. There is also 1 birth center, and those midwives also do the homebirths in the area, I believe. But like I said before, my labors are fast and intense and I typically start weekly appointments earlier than the usual 36 weeks so I prefer to stay closer to home.

Last edited by Babybear4; January 26th, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
January 26th, 2013, 11:45 AM
pmdc5286's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pmdc5286 Send a message via Yahoo to pmdc5286
The closest hospital that can deliver with any chance of a complication is 45 min away. There is a hospital that can deliver non-eventful pregnancies about 20 min away. While I don't have any problems with the hospital 45 min away, we are in the process of deciding which hospital and OB group that we want to use.

Choice 1 is the group that delivered my daughter and handled each and every complication. The hospital has a NICU, High Risk Unit etc. I love the drs there and do not have a problem returning to them.

Choice 2 is the group at the hospital where my neurological team is based out of. I do have several neurological issues, including a shunt. When I was pg with my daughter, the OB had to call the neurosurgeon several times during the delivery. This is a teaching hospital, so there would be drs in the hospital should something happen. This hospital also has a children's hospital attached with a wonderful NICU.

Both hospitals are about an hour and a half from my house. The benefit to Option 2 is I am comfortable with my oldest driving in the area with the youngest kids. Hospital 1 area, I am not comfortable with him driving alone in the area.

Which option would you pick?

Thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

TTC #3, Our first together

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search