Anyone else "feed the freezer" before baby?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2013, 01:39 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is a great idea, especially for moms of more than one child. DH and I have a small farm and we are pretty self sufficient. We hunt for our meat and grow our veggies. Everything gets canned / frozen in meal-size portions. We raise our own chickens for meat and eggs and those too are frozen in meal-size portions.

I don't like reheated frozen meals either. Although Lasagna, chicken parm and mac and cheese freeze and thaw pretty well.

Here are a few suggestions for you ladies who aren't thrilled with reheated / thawed meals to help with dinner time after the baby comes:

Stock up on butter (you can freeze it)
Cans of fat free low sodium chicken stock
Tomato sauce (if you don't make your own)
Pasta
Frozen veggies
Chicken/pork/beef in 1 lb increments
Flour and Sugar
Spices

Anytime you are short on time or don't feel like cooking, throw the meat, veggies and chicken stock in one pot and in 45 min you have a great meal to put over pasta, rice or biscuits.

All these ingredients are versatile and can be used in grilling, roasting or stews.

Happy Cooking!

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
February 28th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never really frozen food in advance - it requires too much forethought hahahaha!!!! I usually just wing it and probably will this time too Plus I will have my boys here who can help cook if dad is gone when baby arrives.

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
February 28th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm loving this thread right now as I've been thinking lately about how I'm going to manage after the baby.

This will be c-section number 3, and from previous experience, I can't say that it's going to take me a good little while to recover from that. We have no family around, and no close friends here (we haven't been here that long). DH is only going to be able to miss so much work, and honestly I don't know if I want him cooking for me anyway - microwaved hotdogs anyone?

For once in my life, I'm going to be organized and make this happen. I'm going to have to use all that's in my freezer (it's stuffed full of frozen veggies now), then plan and execute whatever I decide to stuff in there . Hopefully I can cram enough in there to last for a couple of weeks at least.
July 16th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I wanted to bump this now that a lot of us are in the third trimester. Dh and I were talking about our freezer meals this afternoon and I had to come find this thread for ideas.

Anyone else getting their list together?

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
July 16th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have thought about this. THe whole dinner thing can be a PITA any time but the thought of prepping meals for after the baby comes is intimidating me. Like right now I just took hamburger out of the freezer and have no idea what I am going to do with it...anything you more experience ladies can put in this thread would be awesome!!

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
July 16th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Super Mommy
Today I spent 2 hrs making meals in large batches, portioning them and freezing them. I made:
- sweet and sour meatballs (4 meals)
- home made mac n cheese (3 meals)
-ham and mushroom casserole (3 meals)

tomorrow I am going to do:
- lasagna
- chicken and rice dishes

Once those are done, I was thinking made just doubling up what I cook for dinner over the next couple of weeks and freezing half of it. Oh, and I like the idea of freezing slow cooker dishes.

I didn't get this far with DS, so it definitely feels good having something in the freezer.
July 17th, 2013, 07:29 AM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I think I'm going to. DH doesn't think we have the room in ours but I think we need it this time. There's going to be too much going on with our move and his birth!

July 17th, 2013, 12:17 PM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
I really want to do this- but we don't have central air and so far this summer has been brutal. the kitchen is like a sauna, I've barely managed to properly prep and store our farm share each week

But, I HAVE at least been stocking up on meats and other things for the freezer when there have been sales. We have a deep freezer, so at least we will have lots of food while I'm out of work (only have about 3 1/2 weeks of vacation time to be paid and taking the rest unpaid). But, I am hoping to get a little cooking done ahead, at least. Maybe it'll cool down a bit soon ?

Or maybe I need to focus on things I only need the crockpot for and not the oven?

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

July 17th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All I have done is chicken teriyaki prepped and frozen. I have the things to do premade hamburger patties this weekend. Maybe I will have the energy to prep and freeze some of my crockpot meals.

July 17th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Veteran
I decided to do this. Especially since neither of our parents cook the same kind of healthy real food meals we do, I don't want the cooking to go to them. So my grand plan is 30 pre prepped freezer meals that just need to be cooked, either in the crockpot, skillet or soup pot. Last Saturday we prepped 10 of the 30...but my husband was pretty grumpy about it by the end and requested less next time. I also want to make some mason jar soup mixes that will just be combined with water and cooked. I will try to post my master list later when I'm not posting from my phone. I'm really excited about it though.

August 12th, 2013, 03:13 PM
It's crunch time!!!!

I made and froze 3 dinners' worth of meatballs, and then tonight I just made 2 extra pans of enchiladas. I hadn't even planned to, but miraculously I had the ingredients and the pans.

Anyone else? I know it's so hard to get up the motivation at this far along, but it is sooooo nice when you're enjoying the fruits of your labor. Some people can eat out/order in all the time, but DH and I get really sick of it really fast. Plus, expensive.

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; August 12th, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
August 12th, 2013, 03:39 PM
We're definitely the type of people who get sick of eating out pretty quickly too - and yeah, it's totally expensive. Even freaking Wendy's costs us like, $15 for small sized combos for dh and I.

I've officially started shopping, but haven't started cooking anything yet. In my defense, a lot of that is because we've been waiting to be able to order a chest freezer. It's finally coming on Friday. I think dh and I are going to try to tackle all of the cooking over a weekend or something, but I might do some of the pre-cooking this week, just to get going.

August 12th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I believe we bought both the deep freeze and the food saver when I was pregnant with Elizabeth for this reason. The freezer I don't know how we ever lived without. The foodsaver gets sporadic use. When we used to shop at Costco I used it all the time to separate huge packages of meat. It's getting use again now...

August 13th, 2013, 09:56 AM
There are 12 lbs of pork butt in my crock pot! Had to smash the lid on!

And 6 lbs ground beef worth of meat sauce on the stove. Lasagna to be assembled after I get the kid from camp.

I am planning to add about 9 meals to the freezer tonight. 17 down, 20 to go!
Keakie likes this.

August 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't done any yet! I'm doing them all next Friday at my freezer meal workshop. :-). I'll have about 30 meals in an hour done!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
August 13th, 2013, 07:54 PM
mommyof4plus's Avatar Veteran
I considered it... however, our freezers are stocked with frozen meat and no room... that and I will be pushing to get all my school projects done before the delivery, and getting the house spotless... so I won't be cooking beforehand.. though I might regret it later
August 15th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I started yesterday! All of my chicken dishes require shredded chicken, so I've been loading up the crock pot with drums and thighs. Yesterday's batch is portioned off into containers and labeled with what it's supposed to be used for, and after today I should be all set to just toss it in with whatever meal I'm making.

I wanted to cook the chicken ahead of time because the crock pot is hands down my favourite way to get chicken off of the bone, but obviously takes more time than the oven. Our freezer is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow and it should be ready to start putting things in by the end of the weekend, so I'm ramping up as much prep cooking as I can.

August 15th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Whoo hoo! Two days ago I got those 3 lasagnas, a thing of meat sauce, and 3 dinners of pulled pork into the freezer. Next is probably to prep all my crock pot meals and freeze - maybe this weekend.
Keakie likes this.

August 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
i have started looking for recipes on pinterest. this is my 3rd kid and the first time i have attempted this. i just hope it works.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
August 22nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
I put away two dinners of taco soup, 3 of black bean cream cheese chicken, and a couple steaks in a marinade. That makes like...23 down and 17 to go.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search