Car Seats

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By kimberlyw
  • 1 Post By Alpha_allie1010
  • 1 Post By 321abc
  • 1 Post By Maenfayne

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2013, 10:56 AM
Hi Everyone!!! Has anyone done any research on infant car seats yet, I just started and it is so confusing..... so many things to look at!! I am hoping to spend under $200 for an infant car seat and 2 bases! Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
March 21st, 2013, 11:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I can tell you this - if it is on the market then it is safe for your baby Outside of that I think it all depends on your needs - some are made for smaller babies (like premies), some have a lot of bells and whistles, some are bare bones, some take up less space (so better for a compact car), some are bulkier. If you go to the car seat board and tell them what vehicle you drive and what needs you have they can make really good recommendations
Alpha_allie1010 and Keakie like this.

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
March 21st, 2013, 11:24 AM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We used the Graco sungride 32. Honestly I make tall skinny babys. We out grew it height wise way before weight. My DD will be 3 in May and still doesn't weight 32lbs! We picked it because I liked the pattern and it snapped into my BOB jogging stroller
Babybear4 likes this.

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
March 21st, 2013, 11:54 AM
321abc
I agree, if its on the market it's safe.
I can't remember what we have. It's made by graco I believe.
I wish it were lighter. My baby was a chunk when he was in his infant seat! Make sure you get a handle with a good grip. Also check with your car insurance some provide a free car seat
kimberlyw likes this.
March 21st, 2013, 11:56 AM
Maenfayne's Avatar Veteran
Make sure it fits your car! Some seats simply do not fit in certain cars. Most stores will actually allow you to take the seat out and install it into your car first before buying. If they won't, make sure they have a good return policy.

Like Kim said, any seat on the market is safe to use. However, it's is ONLY safe if it fits your car and your baby.

I highly recommend getting your seat checked by a professional, somebody who actually has their CPST (child passenger safety technician) certificate before going to the hospital, AND after you get your little one in there. There are several events that are completely free to go to. The smallest things such as slightly loose straps can have drastic effects on baby.

Personally, I'll be going with a cheap little infant carrier for the first coupe months since it'll be chilly outside. Then I'll be switching to the Graco Size4Me 70 which is by far the best seat I have seen. I've yet to test it out in my car, but I'm blessed with a huge back seat so I doubt it'll be a problem.

Also, since you're trying to find a seat with two bases under $200 I'm just going to throw this out. Please please please avoid the temptation to buy a "gently used" car seat off craigslist. While the seller may be fully intending to sell a good seat, you never know if the seat has been comprimised by a slight accident or even age. Yes, car seats do indeed expire.

JM has a pretty awesome car seat forum, it's been fairly quiet, but there are some extremly helpful ladies over there. Check it out I also love carseatblog.com They have recomendations and reviews, unboxing videos, and just a buttload of stuff lol

Can you tell I love car seats? lol I'll scamper off now

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye10 View Post
Also check with your car insurance some provide a free car seat
This reminded me, IF you ever do get in an accident, even a slight fender bender, the seat can be damaged. Make sure to tell your insurance company if your seat was in use during the accident. They should replace the seat at no cost to you.
kimberlyw likes this.

10.03.13 8lbs 11oz 21 inches
Excuse my typos, there is either a baby on my boob or sleeping in my arms

Thank you *sharon* for my adorable siggy

March 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM
MandersM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
if it is on the market then it is safe for your baby
This isn't actually true. Well, it might be perfectly safe, but I know that Canada has different rules & regs wrt to car seats than the US does. Car seats in Canada have to be CMVSS certified.

I'm definitely struggling with the "what car seat & why?" decision too! I'm liking all the feedback from BTDT mommies!!
2nd GP Appt: 02/20 - wasn't able to pick up a heartbeat
3rd GP Appt: 02-21 - due to spotting, still no hb
1st U/S: 02/25 - 10wk u/s due to spotting > saw the hb and our little blob!!
NPT U/S: 03/15 - got a wave from our LO!! And all looks well. We went public!!
3rd GP Appt: 03/22 - heard the hb...157!
1st OB Appt: 04/22 - LOVE my OB. She doesn't rush, as is pretty knowledgable about crohn's and pregnancy. hb = 159!
20wk u/s: 05/06 - Loved seeing our little babe again! Tech was very tight lipped though, and no medical info was given. And we're holding off on the gender until the reveal party!!
Reveal Party: 05/18 - IT'S A GIRL!!!!
OB Appt: 05/22 -

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search