Taking any and all suggestions- today only

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2013, 08:44 AM
Veteran
So friends, it is totally official, we leave tomorrow on our journey back to Ghana, and get to come home with our daughter!

We are totally excited and feel ready to be parents, but are a bit intimidated by having our toddler (17months old) having to travel for basically 24 hours... (some is layover time, some is flights, but total, it is a whole day).

Before we finish packing and leave tomorrow, I was wondering if any of you who have traveled with toddlers would be willing to share your wisdom on how to best keep them happy and occupied when they are awake during traveling.

Thanks in advance!

March 23rd, 2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran
IPAD- if you don't have one see if you can borrow one possibly someone that already has kids so it has all the good stuff on it. Load it with music, sesame street, movies, yo gabba gabba. Crayons & paper. Hand sanitizer- since the like to touch everything then put their hands in their mouth.

The most important tip is some candy/snacks for take off and arrival. It can be very hard to to get a toddler to sit down for the 15- 20 mins while they want you in your seat. Give her a pile of candy that she can't resist makes is much easier. Congrats!!!
Baby #1 2007 13 weeks
Baby #2 2008 8 weeks
Diagnosed in 2012 with PCOS and Homozygous MTHFR 677T

Proud mommy to baby girl B born 10/30/10
March 23rd, 2013, 09:16 AM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
I'd say make sure you have plenty of snacks for her. You don't want to have a hungry cooped up toddler on your hands. If you have one download some toddler apps onto your tablet for her to play. MY 23 month old loves to play with my tablet, you just have to be willing to let them play with it. .
March 23rd, 2013, 09:23 AM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second the food! I really like coloring books and crayons and any "new" toy, for distractions. I'm not a big fan of electronics, but I know a LOT of people recommend tablets for toddlers!

Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS Mama!!

March 23rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
We tackled a 16 hour drive with my dss when he was a couple of months over 3. It wasn't a plane, but we found that having movies available helped a lot. Toys were okay but he had a habit of dropping them over the edge of his car seat and no one could reach them until we stopped. Colouring books were nice, and he absolutely loved the sticker book that Grandma gave him for the trip. Tablets are definitely an easy way to occupy time (we didn't use the tablet on the drive at all, but he plays with it at home) or, if you don't have one, they can be more apt than you'd expect with a smartphone, if you can get child-friendly games or apps.

And to echo everyone else, SNACKS. Lots and lots of snacks. We tried to bring more protein-laden ones, but they also had fruit, crackers, etc.

Good luck! So excited for you guys!

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
March 23rd, 2013, 09:48 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
I agree with everyone else's suggestions! Snacks are a must!!! Books, coloring books, Ipad, portable DVD player with movies etc are also a great idea!

I am just so excited for you and can't wait to hear all about the trip when you get back!!!
March 23rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I like everyone's suggestions! Also she needs o drink or eat when the plane is going up and landing to help her ears pop. Also bring color books and books to read to her once they make you "turn off all electronic devices". In the end...just remember you will never see those people again so oh well if goes horrible lol!! They also should give her a certificate for her first flight if you ask for it which is fun to have. We survived with the DVD player and Ipad games. Lots and lots of snacks too!

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
March 23rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Super Mommy
My kids could play with. Travel magma doodle for hours on the plane. They also like switching he ice cubes between all the different cups. A small doll with a hair brush.
Post it notes. They are fun to pull off, put all over, color, and move around.
Lots of snack and different types.
Lots of walks on the airplane too.
March 23rd, 2013, 08:48 PM
Maenfayne's Avatar Veteran
No suggestions here, just a big huge YAY! What a happy moment for your family!!! Happy and safe travels, I can't wait to hear more once your family comes home

10.03.13 8lbs 11oz 21 inches
Excuse my typos, there is either a baby on my boob or sleeping in my arms

Thank you *sharon* for my adorable siggy

March 23rd, 2013, 10:00 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
go to the dollar store, or buy some cheap little toys that are safe for her age and bring out a new one every once in a while.. make sure she doesn't see the bag and bug you for them all right away. Also, keep a favorite snack or two for the really rough moments..... a roll of masking tape would probably keep your toddler busy for awhile too.

March 23rd, 2013, 11:47 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Another thing that is cheap and easy is a box of Kleenex.

Another thing is wrapping things...

Benedryl it might help make her sleepy but if she has not been in a motorized conveyance often like American babies she might get air sick. An off use of benedryl is nausea treatment.
March 23rd, 2013, 11:56 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I feel bad for you, I got one of my adopted babies at two and a half and it was rough. I think I had him for two weeks before going on a long car ride. Not kidding he screamed for 12 hours straight and puked a few time too.

Remember she doesn't know you and may not even know what you are saying to her. You aren't' t used to her either and she might be a runner, a Houdini or a climber. She hasn't trained you to keep your eyes on her every second.

Whatever you do know you are doing advanced parenting under very difficult circumstances.

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search