Au Natural?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree28Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 08:18 PM
kaylacaroline's Avatar Veteran
Anyone planning on a completely natural birth? Or done it? (Baring any complications, of course)

I'd really like to do it. As long as there is no surprise C-Section.

I have a weird high pain threshold and really think I would be able to do it.

Should I get off my high horse and prepare to cry for meds? Lol

March 25th, 2013, 09:08 PM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
You can definately do it! I've done it twice and had really great experiences both times. I had to be induced last time, so I opted for the epidural. I took some hypnobirthing classes a few years back that really helped me. I think the main thing is to just relax and let your body do what it was designed to do.
March 25th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am absolutely determined to go natural this time around. I've gotten an ITN (walking epidural) during transition both times and while I wouldn't say I regret it, I know I can do it without and I really want that experience.

This time around, we are in a much more natural birth friendly area, so it will likely be easier for me to do what I want in labor, like move around and decline an IV if I feel like that's the path I want to take. Nobody will question me or push it much because it's such a normal thing around here.

March 26th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Super Mommy
I am delivering at a birth center so no epi no anyhting but all natural and amazing nurses and midwives

March 26th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Regular
Both my deliveries were without pain meds, and I plan for this one to be also. My second delivery was actually induced, and I still managed to deliver without pain meds. I do believe that the births were quicker and easier on both the babies and me as a result. That said, I have never ruled out the possibility of having pain killers...my labors were quick and my babies little, which made the natural birth thing a heck of a lot easier. If I end up laboring for many many hours, I want to have painkillers as an option.
One thing to be aware of is that labor and birth hurt, a lot. I say this not to scare you, but to prepare you. Don't believe anything that says otherwise. It is not just "pressure", or "like strong menstrual cramps", once you get past the early stages. It is pain, probably worse than you've ever experianced. If you go into the delivery room thinking that whatever techniques you've practiced will make the pain go away, or that it won't be so bad, then you might be surprised by the pain and become afraid that you can't handle it. If you go into it with the mindset that you know it will hurt like crazy, but that it is just pain and you will get thru it, then you are much more likely to be able to endure it. Make sure you have clear in your mind what your reasons are for going natural, maybe even write them down. During my last birth, I had to have someone remind me of my reasons while I was in transition.
March 26th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Regular
Both my deliveries were without pain meds, and I plan for this one to be also. My second delivery was actually induced, and I still managed to deliver without pain meds. I do believe that the births were quicker and easier on both the babies and me as a result. That said, I have never ruled out the possibility of having pain killers...my labors were quick and my babies little, which made the natural birth thing a heck of a lot easier. If I end up laboring for many many hours, I want to have painkillers as an option.
One thing to be aware of is that labor and birth hurt, a lot. I say this not to scare you, but to prepare you. Don't believe anything that says otherwise. It is not just "pressure", or "like strong menstrual cramps", once you get past the early stages. It is pain, probably worse than you've ever experianced. If you go into the delivery room thinking that whatever techniques you've practiced will make the pain go away, or that it won't be so bad, then you might be surprised by the pain and become afraid that you can't handle it. If you go into it with the mindset that you know it will hurt like crazy, but that it is just pain and you will get thru it, then you are much more likely to be able to endure it. Make sure you have clear in your mind what your reasons are for going natural, maybe even write them down. During my last birth, I had to have someone remind me of my reasons while I was in transition.
March 26th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Wanting a natural birth and/or feeling that a natural birth is the best choice for you doesn't mean you're "on a high horse".

I'm planning to have a natural birth at a birth center (assuming nothing risks me out of delivering there, in which case I'll be planning to birth at a hospital with the midwife in attendance and I'll still be attempting a natural birth). I've not BTDT so I don't have any experience to share with you, but I started learning about birthing choices and natural childbirth nearly 3 years ago and feel confident and comfortable with that choice moving forward. My birth center is really big on Hypnobabies and I've been encouraged to take the classes closer to delivery time.

In the mean time, I found Giving Birth Naturally to be a great resource for information. If you're more of a documentary person, I would definitely recommend 'Pregnant in America' or 'The Business of Being Born'.

I believe that it hurts. I believe that I have no capacity to understand how much it will hurt. I also believe that my body was built to do this and I can handle it. It doesn't make me "better" than someone who chooses a different path. I actually kind of hate the stigma that if you choose a natural birth, a home birth, etc. that you're being uppity or something - it's just what I believe will work best for me.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my fabulous siggie!
March 26th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
As long as I don't get any pitocin with this one, I might try for a natural birth. With 4 of mine I had pitocin and got an epi around 7-8cm. With my other one I had a partial placental abruption which made labor extremely fast and painful - I barely got my epi in time. As long as all goes well I think I could do it natural, but it depends...

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
March 26th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not so confident. I have pain tolerance. But I am not a good advocate for myself when I am in pain. And DH gets panicky and agrees with whatever Dr's and medical staff say. I therefore think an epidural is in my cards. Last time I went to the hospital for all the wrong reasons. Labor was progressing nicely and my contractions were getting stronger and closer together. But I was still very much in control and did not feel like the pain was too much. I went because I had been having contractions for 24 hrs, plus it was about 5.30 PM and I didn't want to go to the hospital in the middle of the night! I was stupid. I should have stayed home until I couldn't take the pain any more and I would have had a great chance of delivering all natural. But As soon as I went I was strapped down, not *allowed*/*encouraged* to vocalize during contractions and offered an epidural so that my water could be broken! Things just were not in my control anymore.

What I am planning on doing is staying home as long as possible. I just hope I don't progress too fast and end up giving birth in the car or something!

March 26th, 2013, 08:11 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an epidural, that they turned off about 8 hours before the girls were born. I consider them natural ;-)

Rylan was fairly easy, Dakota was born breech and that was rough. I plan on no epidural this time. They insisted I have it just in case they had to do a c-section.
Happy Song likes this.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
March 26th, 2013, 08:25 AM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an epidural with my first, but went without for my 2nd and 3rd. I definitely prefer to deliver without pain meds. My recovery was easier, I was able to feel what was happening to my body while pushing and prevent major tearing by laboring down (instead of pushing) and letting my tissues stretch more slowly, I was up and showered and feeling human within an hour or two of delivery.

And yes, labor HURTS, for me. I am definitely not one of those doulas/women who call contractions rushes and pretend they're just "pressure". It is PAIN, BUT it comes in manageable and contained waves that, if the labor isn't augmented with pit or cytotec, usually build in intensity over the course of labor. You get breaks. Little ones, but their so helpful.

My babies have all been posterior, meaning horrible back labor through the whole thing. It's still manageable with the right preparation and support!

You can do ittttt!!!!

And if you can't? Epidural anesthesia has improved VASTLY from when it was first introduced and most women can still move their legs with them and are up and moving pretty quickly after delivery!

There is nothing wrong with choosing pain relief if it's what YOU want and need!

And that's my two cents.
iCathy likes this.

March 26th, 2013, 10:28 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
I've done labor 3x without drugs (I have a high pain tolerance as well)....twice only having cervidil to help start things....never got to the pitocin stage (at least not that i remember with my first lol) but anyways...like I said I didn't get an epidural with any of my kids....and do not regret it...but I will say this...do not go in thinking you have a set in stone plan...plans change...specially being your first you do not know what will happen and what the pain is like...but you can do it if that's what you want and do NOT feel bad if you do give in...its okay the only thing that matters is a healthy baby at the end
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Veteran
My first was pain med free (though I don't consider it 'natural' because it was an induction) hospital birth. My second was 100% completely natural homebirth. This baby will be a homebirth, too.

You can absolutely do it! Take good childbirth classes like bradley or hypnobirthing that prepare you for a med-free or natural labor so that you are prepared. It's not easy (especially not in a hospital setting) but it can definitely be done and it is SO incredible and amazing and totally worth it!
DS ~ October 2007
March 26th, 2013, 11:00 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I planned natural with Savannah, but her induction was in a single word ungodly...and I never regretted getting an epidural after 14 hours of that induction b/c I have absolutely no doubt I would have had a C-section otherwise. If I can avoid induction this time I will try unmedicated but my experience with the epi was positive (it was mild enough I could still feel legs, etc) I won't be upset if I need one.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
March 26th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Regular
Homebirth...yikes. I sure hope you have a good Nurse-Midwife, My3His1...I've heard that some women with only a highschool education are passing themselves off as midwives, when they don't have any ability to deal with complications. And births can develop complications frighteningly quickly. I'd rather have a full medical team nearby. Perhaps the risk of a C-section is higher in the hosptial than at home, but I'd rather risk a C-section than risk a dead or brain-damaged baby.
March 26th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Destiny
I'm planning my third homebirth, third natural birth.

I think that a natural birth is entirely possible. I think the big thing is to relax into labour and know some natural pain relieving options (like waterbirth, counter-pressure, etc.) reading up on natural childbirth or taking a class would be beneficial as well.
Good luck!

March 26th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMorgan View Post
Homebirth...yikes. I sure hope you have a good Nurse-Midwife, My3His1...I've heard that some women with only a highschool education are passing themselves off as midwives, when they don't have any ability to deal with complications. And births can develop complications frighteningly quickly. I'd rather have a full medical team nearby. Perhaps the risk of a C-section is higher in the hosptial than at home, but I'd rather risk a C-section than risk a dead or brain-damaged baby.
Most practicing midwives are highly trained professionals who are able to evaluate the risks of complications and the ability to determine when something warrants an emergency transfer well in advance. In addition, most women who are planning or who are considering a home birth ask about their midwives' certifications, delivery history, transfer policies and practices and references before they agree to use their services. MANY babies are born at home without "brain damage" or being stillborn.

Please keep these types of comments off of the boards. While you are absolutely entitled to make your own birthing decisions according to what you feel most comfortable with, it is horribly inappropriate for you to single out another poster, attack her decisions and imply that she hasn't done any research while making her birthing plans or that she's risking killing her baby by choosing a home birth. I won't even go into the fact that your reasons for attacking her choices are based on hearsay, exaggerations and uneducated opinions regarding midwifery, home birthing and hospital vs. out of hospital risks as a whole.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my fabulous siggie!
March 26th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
One thing I am doing to help prepare myself is reading natural birth stories. I may look into hynobirthing but really, I am just hoping this labor is so quick that I just don't have time to think about it. My last labor was 5 1/2 hours and I would be willing to bet that it would have been shorter had I not gotten the ITN. Once I got it, my contractions stopped at 9 cm's and I was given pitocin to get through the rest of it.

March 26th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Regular
Wow...I hadn't realized that my comments came across as an attack on anyone...I thought I was simply voicing the reasons for my own choices. My3His1, if I upset or offended you, please accept my apologies.

It is true that the vast majority of babies that are born at home are completely healthy, and the idea of having a birth at home is quite appealing. I did in fact consider it myself, and my research quickly turned me against the idea. I read a number of stories about women who attempted a home birth and developed complications and couldn't get to the hospital on time, so the baby suffered oxygen deprivation. The pain in these stories, and the regret in them, is so raw. For me, I would risk any ammount of personal pain or bodily damage (ie C section) to protect my baby from that, no matter how remote the possibility. I certainly didn't mean to imply that another poster had not done her research or had not weighed the risks.

A certified nurse-midwife truely is a highly trained professional, and I have a great deal of respect for them. That is why I said that I hope the poster has of those. However, there is a certification out there for mid-wives that have only a high-school education, and I was alarmed when I learned about that. I did want to bring people's attention to the difference between those two certifications. That may have come across as implying that another poster had not done her research, and again I apologize if I created that impression.
MoreThanEnough likes this.
March 26th, 2013, 12:52 PM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an epidural for my Daughters birth back in 2007. Her labor lasted long and it was VERY painful. She weighed 6lbs at birth.

I went all natural for my Sons birth back in 2009. His labor was fast and short, and not as painful! He weighed almost 8lbs at birth.

I wont say the medication was the reason it hurt...but I will say that I am planning on having an all natural birth again this time.

I would absolutely love to have a homebirth... but unfortunately $4,000 isn't something I can afford :/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search