BTDT Moms! Let's Talk Labor Pain....

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree31Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM
caseyswife123's Avatar Loving Mommyhood<3
Send a message via Skype™ to caseyswife123
Ok those of you who are already mommies, shed some light for us newbies!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a bit nervous about the birth process and the pain of labor. I'm no wimp, but I wouldn't consider myself a tough cookie either! I try to remind myself that women do it every single day, and usually go back to do it again. Curious as to what your experiences were.

So, in your birth experience, how would you describe the pain?
Of the contractions?
Of the actual pushing?
Of the recovery?
With an epideral?
Without an epideral?
Was it harder or easier than you thought??

Ready to give Brayden a brother or sister!
March 27th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Super Mommy
I have had three babies. First one was induced it was awful but I was so unprepared and young. My second was fairly easy I got the epi and it worked half ***. My last I was induced and I got the epi before I was unable to bear the pain and guess what it took the pain away until time to push and then I felt everything. It also numbed one leg for almost 24hrs and I couldnt do anything by myself. I am going natural this time in a birth center. No point in trying with the epi if it doesnt want to work for me

March 27th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It is a pretty tough question to answer!! Every woman is different and so is each pg/labor and delivery. With my first I tried to do it naturally but everytime I had a contraction I fought it. I would get tense and was not allowing my body to do what it needed to do-and I tired myself out super quick. I have rewatched video from it and for the most part I seemed okay-it wasn't until about 5cm that I had problems. It was my first time and I was scared and nervous...and did not have the best nurse on that shift (it was the 11-4am shift-the crappy one no one wants!!) Had I been there with the nurse who came in at 7am I might have done okay. I ended up getting an epi and after that there wasn't any pain.
With #2 I had an intrathecal. I ended up with 2 cuz it wears off (the time differs for each person) and by the time I was pushing I think the 2nd one was wearing off because I felt enough pain to move things along quicker because of it but not so much that I was miserable. It was perfect really.
#3 immediately had an epi and I felt no pain at all.
#4 I had something else going on so even with the epi I still felt quite a bit of pain, I can't even watch the video DH took without cringing at how uncomfortable it was.

I think the thing to consider is your attitude going in. If you are confident in your ability and realize that your body knows what it is doing and you are capable of letting go and allowing things to move along you will do great. Every one has a different tolerance for pain. Don't let anyone try to force you to go natural or medicated. It is up to you. I would find a class, (hypnobabies is amazingly positive) or a book even so that you can immerse yourself in positive info. If you go into it focusing on the potential pain that is all you will be thinking about and it won't help. If you go in with a positive attitude I think that no matter what choice you make (medicated or not) you will be happy with the outcome. I know lots of ppl whose L&D's were amazing and they did it natural but I also know ppl who tried and felt frustrated and defeated by the pain. I think your personality and support system make the most difference in what choice you make
Hope that helps!
caseyswife123 likes this.

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
March 27th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Destiny
I can't say this definitively, but I'm pretty sure it's different for everyone.

Of the contractions? it depends on what part of labour I'm in, but the biggest ones felt like intense pressure, before letting up.

Of the actual pushing? Productive, self-directed pushing feels great, it relieves the pressure and it's satisfying. If you push when you don't feel like pushing it's just exhausting

Of the recovery? I hate the recovery, even without tearing I just felt tired and sore for a long while afterwards. With my first I tore a little and had to sit on pillows, I was tired because I hemorrhaged and had afterbirth bleeding for over a month (nothing dangerous, but a big PITA)

With an epidural? n/a

Without an epidural? I think that not taking drugs helped me bond with my baby better, I also built up a lot of natural painkilling hormones and endorphins, so it took well over 12 hours before any pain set in, though it was hard to sleep with the adrenaline rush.

Was it harder or easier than you thought? First one was easier, the second one was harder. My son was not turned quite right, so I had back labour, and my contractions were more intense. I was expecting a second pain-free labour, but that didn't happen. I'm going to try a few exercises this time around to try to get baby positioned properly for birth.

March 27th, 2013, 11:29 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
i'll give it a shot, although I usually resist sharing my birth experience with Savannah with first time mom's because mine was (hopefully) unusual due to her induction.

First off, inductions SUCK. I know there's a few women out there who had a breeze of an induction with their first (my mother being one) but at least my experience left me never, ever, wanting to be induced again. Cervadil, which is supposed to NOT be particularly painful, caused a reaction in me which started immediate - horrendously painful - contractions that did virtually nothing to progress me. I did 3 rounds of it in an attempt to move from from 2cm dilated which I walked into the hospital as, to a lousy 4cm dilated when they eventually started the Pitocin & let me get an epidural...that process of progressing 2cms took over 12 long, painful hours.

Meanwhile (prior to Pitocin being administered) my contractions were off their monitor's charts they were so strong - in fact they'd go up off and stay off for probably 30 secs - before coming back down to be registered. It felt somewhat like someone attempting to rip my spine out through my back - this was true of the entire labor, way way more painful than I envisioned and almost all of it focused on my back. Once I was able to get a epidural, which originally I didn't want, but after 12 hours of that I was in truth begging for one and then everything got much easier...the pain vanished, I could still move my legs a bit so it was a complete block (which I recommend, it's nice to still feel a little bit of what's going on).

We no sooner starting seeing progress from the Pitocin (which went fairly rapidly, 4 hours total to go from barely 4cms to pushing) when Savannah went into distress with rapid decels that weren't always timed with my contractions...I got rolled from side to side repeatedly and for a scary bit it looked like we might end up with an emergency C-section (in the end, it turned out she was born holding her umbilical cord and apparently was squeezing it (and causing her own distress) periodically) but eventually things calmed down.

Pushing was so easy, so much easier than I or the nurse expected. They actually had me stop pushing as she was suddenly, after only 4 pushes, almost out, so they could run and find my OB as they had expected I guess it to take quite a bit longer as a first timer. Not pushing when you need to push is WAY harder than the pushing itself I did end up with a 3rd level tear, probably due to how fast I pushed her out, but that just required stiches and some healing time - also wasn't as bad as I had feared reading about it.

Overall, the recovery wasn't as bad as I expected. More bleeding maybe that I imagined for the first couple of days in the hospital....but overall pain really wasn't bad, and you have such a crazy high after giving birth I don't think I slept in the first day at all (didn't even feel tired).

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
March 27th, 2013, 11:34 AM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At first it just felt like really rough menstrual cramps. My babies have all been posterior (aka "sunny side up") so the main discomfort I had to manage was severe back pain. When I got closer to pushing there was also intense pressure. Every thing came in waves that got closer together and more intense as labor progressed, until I reached 10cm then I got a good 30 min break before feeling the contractions again and the urge to push.

Of the contractions?
I think I covered this above...

Of the actual pushing?
I couldn't feel anything with my first because of the epi. With my second, I pushed once, felt a little burn as he crowned and he was out. With my last, I pushed for about 30- 45 minutes. She was in a REALLY REALLY terrible position so pushing hurt a lot and took longer then my other two. (Her body was posterior, but her head was looking at her right shoulder. Instead of having her chin tucked she was looking "up". Her head didn't mold AT ALL because The first part of her head to "crown" was her forehead/top of her head instead of the crown of her head in back.) I also truly got the "ring of fire" with her because her head was in such a weird position.

Of the recovery?
Recovery with my first was the hardest and longest, and I blame the epi. I had back pain for months after, but I felt close to "normal" at the six week point. After #2 I felt human in 2 weeks, but "good" after 5-6 hours post birth. After #3 I felt great as soon as I showered and "normal" (except for bleeding) at 3-4 days!

With an epideral?
I'm not a fan, for me. I know some women have awesome experiences with them though!

Without an epideral?
It's definitely more painful, but the recovery is so much easier, for me. And I feel so much more alert and "present".

I remember being surprised by how much it hurt with my first. Then with my second I was surprised by how much LESS it hurt then with my first. With #3 I was expecting it to be a cake walk and it was definitely my hardest labor to date.

March 27th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Of the contractions? To me, contractions feel like a huge painful rush of pressure and internal ripping, all at once. It's really hard to describe but with every contraction, I can feel my cervix being pulled up and stretched out. I am always surprised my cervix isn't just ripping right open.

Of the actual pushing? I had a walking epidural with both kids, so other than some pressure, I didn't feel a whole lot during pushing until I got to the ring of fire and then it just feels like more ripping and burning.

Of the recovery? Recovery with my DD was tough. I had an episiotomy and I tore up my labia, then ended up with a hematoma and was bruised and swollen for a long time. After her, orgasms were painful and I couldn't stand for long periods of time without feeling a lot of pelvic pressure. That lasted up until I got pregnant with my son. After DS, I felt great. I didn't even NEED the peri bottle but I used it anyway, because the warm water feels so nice and clean with all of the blood and swelling after giving birth. I was hardly sore after having him and the worst part was the contractions when I would nurse.

With an epideral? Once I got my ITN, I felt almost nothing.

Without an epideral? Up until I got my ITN, which was after 7 cm's with both, I was stuck on my back strapped to the monitors and the pain was toe curling. Like, literally, I would lift my bum up a bit and curl my toes and cringe. I need to learn to relax through them a little better, which is much easier when I can move around as I please and lean or bend whichever way I need to.

Was it harder or easier than you thought?? Neither. It's just an experience that you can't even fathom until you've done it.

Last edited by Babybear4; March 27th, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
March 27th, 2013, 11:51 AM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
[QUOTE=caseyswife123;27234682]
Of the contractions?

I really thought I was a boss with my first because I dealt with the contractions until I was 7 centimeters and never really felt like they were painful. That assessment of my awesome pain tolerance was proven COMPLETELY wrong when I had my second baby. When I hit what my friends later told me was "transitional labor"... Oh. My. Gee. I have never felt pain that intense or terrifying in my LIFE. I was crawling backwards on the bed literally trying to get out of my own skin so I could get away from it. It felt like someone shoving a hot poker in my back and twisting it around and trying to shove it out of my belly button. The only thing keeping me going was that I knew the epidural guy was ON HIS WAY and I only had to deal with them for 10 or 15 minutes. Seriously, worst pain ever. I can't even... seriously... it was awful.

Of the actual pushing?
I love this part. And I had gorgeous epidurals, so I could FEEL everything and had total control... but it just didn't hurt. I knew exactly when and how to push... and really it only took me a couple to get them out anyway. Didn't hurt at all.

Of the recovery?
This part sucks... and the lady parts do sting afterward. But you've got this beautiful new baby! You're not pregnant anymore! Life is good. You won't care so much about that. Get some witch hazel pads and line your undies with them. It feels beautiful.

With an epideral?
Like I said, mine rocked. But I know TONS of people who had awful experiences with them, so don't trust me on this.

Without an epideral?
I haven't tried this one yet! And probably won't However, if nature has it's way, I might have to. I barely got my last one in time. I wouldn't be surprised if this birth went too fast for one.

It was definitely.... DIFFERENT than I thought. Though I don't know if I could say harder or easier. After getting the epidural, I was VERY confused at all those women on TV moaning and crying and heaving and sweating through their own epidural births. I found the whole thing pretty exhilarating and awesome. Then again, I know people that push for hours and that would probably suck whether you have an epidural or not.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

March 27th, 2013, 12:10 PM
321abc

Of the contractions?
First off I was induced. Please don't choose to be induced, it's not a pleaser experience.
The contractions did not become unbearable until about 8 hours after Pitocin was started and I was still at a 1. I am confident that I could have handled it without an epidural if I hadn't been induced.

Of the actual pushing?
Even with an epidural it was a tad bit uncomfortable but it was a good pain like "it's almost over and I get to hold this sweet baby"

Of the recovery?
Honestly, I would say that was the worst part. I tore and I was sore
For a long time. It hurt to sit lol.
But my actual body wasnt that sore.

With an epideral? Yes.

Without an epideral?

Was it harder or easier than you thought?? It was harder than I thought, but I really think that's only because I was induced .
I'm doing it again, so it wasnt tha bad
March 27th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I love talking about this!! Even though the birth didn't go 100% like I wanted it to, I still cherish those memories. Before I embark into my experience, I do want to emphasize that everything I am writing here are just my experiences and perception only. No generalization whatsoever. It's supposed to be different for everyone.

I had been having braxton hicks on and off starting from about 25 weeks I think. But they were just that. Just the tightening of the uterus. I could put my hand on my belly and could physically feel the tautness and then the relaxation after the contraction was over. In the beginning these were unnerving. But soon I got used to them. They were kind of fun even in a weird way!

So when I was about 39 weeks and a couple days I found some blood in the TP. Just mucousy stuff tinged with blood. I knew right away that it was mucous plug. That evening I started having what I thought were more BH cntxns but they got more and more intense/tight and a bit annoying even. I still didn't think much of it as there was no pain whatsoever. We went to bed and I woke up some time in the middle of the night and realized I was just having a BH cntxn that was a little bit painful....like menstrual cramps..then it passed. No more pain. Then I went back to bed and it came again after some time. I think abt 15 mins later I had another one. These were making it hard for me to go back to sleep. I kind of knew something was up. I managed to get a few hrs of fitful sleep.
The next morning I was still having these and there was no doubt in my mind that these were real contractions. They felt like a strong pair of hands coming around my belly and sqeezing tight. The cramp would start from my lower back and kind of creep toward the front of my belly from either side. I started timing them and found that they were coming every 10 - 7 minutes. The duration of the pain was just abt 15 - 30 seconds. Still nothing I couldn't handle. I was walking about doing my thing.
By afternoon the pain got a little more intense that I would get distracted when I was talking or lose my train of thought. Sitting started feeling very uncomfortable and by late afternoon...I was walking and hanging on to the back of the couch bent at the waist. That helped with the pain. I could no longer talk when a contraction came on. Still I was fine in between contractions and even went and took a shower, dressed etc. I was getting ready to go to the hospital. They were still only about 6 minutes apart. I was getting a little tired though...By 6.30 PM we left to the hospital and as I was at the register giving all the details, I had to stop answering the questions and let DH take over. I also remember screaming at DH on the way to the hospital for not slowing down at a bump - that hurt! Finally they strapped me down to monitors and informed me that I was 4 cm dilated and was contracting every 3 minutes . Apparently I was having big contractions and small ones alternately and I wasn't really feeling the small ones, but the monitor was picking them up.

At this point, the pain was getting a bit much for me as I was flat on my back...I needed to walk & bend forward! I started to moan & vocalize a little and the nurse looked downright alarmed!! The next thing I know she was offering the epidural. I said I didn't need it at least not yet. She was like ok and left. Two mins later the Dr. came in & explained that they would be breaking my waters & it would be lot more comfortable if I got my epidural now as things would get much more intense after the water is broken...I looked at DH who was zero help!!The Dr added that oh btw it could be another 8 hrs before the baby came. I caved of course!

The epidural needle did not hurt. At all. I think I already had so much endorphins in my blood stream. But it was uncomfortable getting into that bent double position with the huge belly during the middle of a contraction.

The epidural was great. I had feeling and could move my legs, but no more pain. After abt 6 hrs I had the urge to push...(Like there was pressure on my rectum). They had me push for 40 mins or so...but by the time they set everything up and the Dr was ready I no longer had the urge to push for some reason and I had to push with brutal force with 'nothing' to help me along. My hemmies were screaming with pain( yes I do have them ) and they finally did an episiotomy after numbing that region, because my DD was posterior( sunny side up) & out she came.

Overall it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! I was pissed they had me get the epidural sooner than I wanted and pissed abt the episiotomy (but not sure if that could have been avoided). As for recovery...my episiotomy took abt a week to 10 days to stop hurting. They had given me the peri bottle to wash and a numbing spray. Other than that my hoo ha felt fine.

I am much more confident this time. And barring any unexpected complications I think I will stay at home until much longer. My daughter was posterior and those are supposed to give you horrible back labor & I thought I did ok with that. With this baby I hope to do some exercises etc. to try to get the baby in the right position. We'll see

Last edited by Anitha; March 27th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
March 27th, 2013, 12:17 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
I want to say this about induction: For some bizarre reason, after my doctor realized that stopping my labor with my first child wasn't an option, they put me on pitocin to "speed things along." I realize now that this was because they desperately wanted to C-section me. Which pisses me off, but whatever... I digress.

With my second, I told my new doctor (who I love) that I wanted nothing to do with pitocin this time around. She said something about nipple stimulation and said we would talk about it when the time came.

When the time DID come, it was Easter weekend and my doctor was not available. The on call doctor insisted on pitocin and I was not a happy girl. I told them that I did not NEED it and they basically said "Prove it."

So every time the nurse left me alone, I sat there and tweaked my nipples like a freaking PORN STAR. The contractions took over and were SO strong and SO regular that they basically decided that pitocin was pointless. So I was saved. Saved by nipples.

Luckily, once they called my doctor and told her I was in labor, she said to hell with her vacation time and came to deliver my baby anyway.

Anyway, if you're in a situation where you don't want pitocin... just play with your nipples. It totally helps.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

March 27th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValyntineG View Post
I want to say this about induction: For some bizarre reason, after my doctor realized that stopping my labor with my first child wasn't an option, they put me on pitocin to "speed things along." I realize now that this was because they desperately wanted to C-section me. Which pisses me off, but whatever... I digress.

With my second, I told my new doctor (who I love) that I wanted nothing to do with pitocin this time around. She said something about nipple stimulation and said we would talk about it when the time came.

When the time DID come, it was Easter weekend and my doctor was not available. The on call doctor insisted on pitocin and I was not a happy girl. I told them that I did not NEED it and they basically said "Prove it."

So every time the nurse left me alone, I sat there and tweaked my nipples like a freaking PORN STAR. The contractions took over and were SO strong and SO regular that they basically decided that pitocin was pointless. So I was saved. Saved by nipples.

Luckily, once they called my doctor and told her I was in labor, she said to hell with her vacation time and came to deliver my baby anyway.

Anyway, if you're in a situation where you don't want pitocin... just play with your nipples. It totally helps.

March 27th, 2013, 12:22 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValyntineG View Post
Oh. My. Gee. I have never felt pain that intense or terrifying in my LIFE. I was crawling backwards on the bed literally trying to get out of my own skin so I could get away from it. It felt like someone shoving a hot poker in my back and twisting it around and trying to shove it out of my belly button. The only thing keeping me going was that I knew the epidural guy was ON HIS WAY and I only had to deal with them for 10 or 15 minutes. Seriously, worst pain ever. I can't even... seriously... it was awful.
This is so exactly how I felt...I don't know if it was "normal" or due to being induced but the pain was so awful at the peak of the contractions it actually created a fight or flight reaction in me, like I was ready to get up and run (as if I could have LOL) to escape it. Ahhh fun labor memories

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
March 27th, 2013, 01:24 PM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran

Well, my first labor was a dry labor and felt like someone was twisting a knife in my gut non-stop. My other 4 labors were pretty easy until I hit transition, then the pain intensified big time. If you can get through this the pushing stage comes as a huge relief.

Of the contractions?

They start off easy and then the pain intesifies as your contractions peak and then it eases off again. When you hit transition it hurts pretty bad!

Of the actual pushing?

It is a huge relief to push and once you start to feel an incredible burning sensation like nothing I can even describe, you're almost done!

Of the recovery?

Very easy without an episiotomy. I would much rather tear any day than endure the recovery from one of those. It is positively awful!!!!!!!!

With an epideral?
For me I have had 2 and I had complete feeling of my legs and felt all the pain of them coming out. My last baby the epi only worked on half my body, but the pain wasn't bad at all, even with pitocin. I was able to tell when it was time to push.

Without an epideral?
What I love about natural childbirth is for one thing, no IV!!! I always feel hindered hooked up to that thing. I like having the freedom to move around if I want to. Yes, it hurts, but if you can just relax through the contractions they are bearable.

I would have to say it is easier than I imagined. On TV they show all these awful scenes of people screaming and flipping out and it doesn't have to be that way. It's always been my goal to never lose control like that. Honestly, I never even felt the need.
March 27th, 2013, 01:57 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol well all mine vary, I think no medicine helps me recover fast. its painful but not as bad as I make it seem in my head every labor. lol I notice with epidural the pains are worse in recovery, maybe cus I am not used to the pain?? lol I don't know. I love the labor, its so worth it cus I know the pain wont last and I am rewarded with a lot of night wakings, diapers, puke and more
Happy Song likes this.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

March 27th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was in labor, contractions coming every few minutes, water broken and all for around 24 hours. During this time they wouldn't allow me to have an epidural because I would not progress past 3cm (they said I needed to get to 4). I was one of those woman who was backing up the bed in an attempt to jump out of my own skin in order to escape the pain...Ultimately I was rushed to the OR for an emergency c-section because my daughter's heart rate was rapidly dropping, so I didn't get to experience the pushing.

Hopefully you have a better experience.
March 27th, 2013, 07:19 PM
LauraS214's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me the epidural caused more pain than the contractions did. I will do everything in my power to not be forced into it again. I switched doctors for this reason and she won't push it on me so I'm very happy about that

I was induced both times and given a lot of pitocin. I was perfectly fine until I got the epidural. Each person and labor is different though so who knows

Expecting a baby GIRL on 09.19.13

March 27th, 2013, 07:29 PM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, in your birth experience, how would you describe the pain? Indescribable. I certainly don't want to scare anyone, but the pain is intense and the worst you will probably ever feel. Is it worth it? 1000% yes.

Of the contractions? See above

Of the actual pushing? Pushing wasn't bad. I have had 1 epidural work, 1 fail, and 1 au natural. Once that baby is about to come out, you don't care, you just want to hold your baby. At first, it really does feel like you have to poop, just a warning! Push like you are having a BM.

Of the recovery? Hated epidural recovery. Best recovery was the natural delivery, but it did hurt more.
With an epideral?
Without an epideral?
Was it harder or easier than you thought? Induction is the worst!! It sounds great, but my best advice is to avoid induction al all costs!! My births were easiest when they happened on their own.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 27th, 2013, 09:20 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Of the contractions?

Like when you have to have a bm really bad, but multiply that by like 100.

Of the actual pushing? almost like a releif, but the pain is still there and intensifies and there is a burning, but an incredible joy that you are about to meet your baby.

Of the recovery? Depends. I've ripped real bad, been horribly constipated, bad hemorrhoids, had BAD blood clots, didn't stop bleeding for about a week.. never had a c-section, so I guess not really that bad. It is hard to heal and take care of a baby and be up all night.

With an epideral? I've had two epidurals. The first one didn't take well and I still felt most of the pain, the second one I didn't feel a THING. The strangest part was pushing without feeling and pain.

Without an epideral? Recovery is much faster. I like that you can still feel your body and you don't have to sit through actually GETTING the epidural which is no fun when you are usually having contractions every 3 min. because you have to be about 6cm to get it.

Was it harder or easier than you thought?? It think it's always harder than I think. But, you do forget the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCathy View Post
So, in your birth experience, how would you describe the pain? Indescribable. I certainly don't want to scare anyone, but the pain is intense and the worst you will probably ever feel. Is it worth it? 1000% yes.

Of the contractions? See above

Of the actual pushing? Pushing wasn't bad. I have had 1 epidural work, 1 fail, and 1 au natural. Once that baby is about to come out, you don't care, you just want to hold your baby. At first, it really does feel like you have to poop, just a warning! Push like you are having a BM.

Of the recovery? Hated epidural recovery. Best recovery was the natural delivery, but it did hurt more.
With an epideral?
Without an epideral?
Was it harder or easier than you thought? Induction is the worst!! It sounds great, but my best advice is to avoid induction al all costs!! My births were easiest when they happened on their own.
agree. The contractions with pitocin are MUCH more intense. My body goes in "shock" with pitocin. My body shakes and my teeth chatter.

March 27th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirdeemrlvs View Post
Of the contractions?

Like when you have to have a bm really bad, but multiply that by like 100.
OMG yes! When I started getting my first contractions when labor began with my son, I sat on the toilet because I thought I needed to have a BM but it hurt SO bad. I just sat on the toilet thinking "OMG, I am going to have a watermelon sized poo." and then I went "Oh, wait. This is coming in waves. I'm in labor."
rebecca0217 and manda622 like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search