For Mom's with other kids

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rebecca0217
  • 1 Post By Dolly Lama
  • 1 Post By rebecca0217

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was wondering what you have told, or plan to tell, your other kids about labor and delivery.
My oldest is 5 and is really the only one old enough to understand any of it. My 4 year old kind of does, but doesn't really care. The other two are too young.
My 5 year old knows how the baby comes out-he thought it was really weird. So this morning I was watching A Baby Story while doing laundry and they showed a pretty simple and tasteful birth that I thought would be safe to show my son. The mom was not screaming in pain and the camera angle was a good one. So I let him watch it. I was worried that he might freak but I was also worried that if he didn't see it then he'd make up his own idea of how it works (reason for that worry-before I told him where the baby came from he thought it would explode from my belly button) He at first was squeamish cuz there was a little blood, but after explaining it wasn't from an injury he was pretty excited. He asked a few questions and I guess I answered them fine I am relieved!

We don't plan on having him there for the birth but I do plan on filming it (from a tasteful angle of course).

So do you ladies think I did okay? Hoping DH doesn't give me the "you are nuts" look later!
Anitha likes this.

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
March 28th, 2013, 12:05 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
My daughter is too young to understand (and blood freaks her out) so when we tell her (we haven't even told her we're pregnant yet) her frame of reference is her favorite Blues Clues episode when Mrs Salt goes to the baby hospital to have baby Cinnamon lol. We'll probably keep it at that unless she asks specific questions - I always try to answer her candidly, but definitely don't want to scare her so we'll be careful in phrasing.

If your son is old enough, interested, and not scared by knowing the process in more detail I think it's a great thing for you to share the experience with him!

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
March 28th, 2013, 12:09 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine are 3 and are excited about a baby coming. They haven't asked question besides how did the baby get there and open your belly so I can see.

I think if they ask more as the big day comes we will answer it gently. No idea what we will say!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
March 28th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you did great!

My youngest has no clue what's going on but my almost-4-year-old keeps asking me when the baby is going to fly out, because we told her that she was so anxious to meet us that she just flew right out but I guess we weren't thinking that she would think that's how all babies were born. I don't know what we'll will tell her.

March 28th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You seem to have managed great!! My four yr old would be scared if I explained it to her. She hasn't really asked me that yet. SHe did ask how the baby got in and she went on to say, she hoped I didn't swallow it!! But she left it at that

March 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was more terrified about the "How did the baby get there" question! Luckily they were satisfied with "God put it there" answer. I have a prayer book that addressed that issue. It really helped me to understand how to answer the more sensitive questions. It explained how kids don't think like we do and sometimes we can give them the simplest answer that would never satisfy an adult and they are totally fine with it. It said never to lie because that creates distrust (so no saying a stork is coming) but you don't have to get into details either. So far that approach has worked. Now if I could just find a way to get thru the teen years that will eventually get here!!

March 28th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I was more terrified about the "How did the baby get there" question!
Thinking that the simple approach would work best, I responded with something like, "We wished for and were blessed with..." My daughter looked back at me and said, "Well my teacher says that this happens when a man and a woman..." I know I turned 3 shades of red because I wasn't ready for that one! lol

Just the perks of having an older child I guess.
L-SBB likes this.
March 28th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Super Mommy
My son is super curious and when he was 3 and I was pregnant with dd he wanted to know how it gets out.

I told him that mummy's have special holes in their bodies between their legs that gets bigger when the dr says the baby is ready to come out and the mommy pushes it out. Then the hole gets really small again after. And to head off the next question of " can I see ", I told him you can't see the hole until the baby is ready to
Come out. He was fine with that.

I'm more worried about " how did baby get in" this time
March 28th, 2013, 07:40 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
my kids are both too little, they're probably just excited we're bringing a baby home

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
March 30th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Veteran
I think you did great. Both my kids (ages 5 and 7) know how babies are born. My daughter has known since she was just under 2 years old since she was there for her brother's birth. She watched labor and delivery videos with me to prepare. When I went into labor, she was rubbing my back and snuggling me. It was the sweetest thing ever.

As for how the baby got in there, they know that the mommy has half of a "baby seed" and the daddy has half. If the two parts come together, the baby starts to grow in the mommy's belly in a special baby place called the uterus.
DS ~ October 2007
March 30th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH actually got irritated that I showed our 5 year old the video. It wasn't explicit or anything, but he felt it should have been discussed first. Oh well. I think he is being a prude sort of but I guess discussing it first would have been fine. Men
My3His1 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search