Lower back pain and mild crampy/tightness feel...anyone else had this?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By mirdeemrlvs
  • 1 Post By Dolly Lama
  • 1 Post By hopingthistime
  • 1 Post By MS_Mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Hello ladies! A lot of you probably don't know me. I check in with y'all every few days, but I read a lot more than I post. I teach full-time (8th grade science) and have two little ones (5 and 7) who do dance/gym/soccer/t-ball...and I'm getting married in two weeks...so things are more than a little hectic right now. I posted some when I first found out I was pg, but haven't had much time lately. But anyway....

This morning when I bent over to pick up some laundry, my lower back got a sharp pain in it. The pain has "dulled" over the course of the day, but its still pretty sore. That on its own may not cause me worry, except this afternoon I got a crampy or "tight" feeling in my lower abdomen. When I lay in bed, I feel pretty good. But when I get up to do things, if can feel both the back pain and the tight feeling in my abdomen. Anyone know what this might be?

I probably won't go to the doctor over this until at least Monday, as my doctor's office is closed for the long weekend now....so please don't try to scare me! But if you have had anything silimar and know what it might be, I would sure love to hear!!! Thanks so much in advance for your help!
March 28th, 2013, 09:37 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does the pain come from the back and radiate to the front? You could be having BH contractions.. Have you tried drinking lots of water and laying on your left side? You sound really busy. Maybe you just need to take it easy?
Alpha_allie1010 and Keakie like this.

March 29th, 2013, 03:59 AM
The back pain just stays in my back, I think. I'm probably not drinking enough water. I know I don't rest much. I need to try to do better at both!
March 29th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My $0.02 worth...Could it be 2 unrelated things going on? Back injury from you picking up laundry, then maybe some BH?

I've had both at the same time, and I'm pretty sure that's all it was with me. I've had nothing but back problems since I've been pregnant, then add in some BH, and there was the perfect storm for me to freak out!

Hopefully you can get some rest.
Keakie likes this.
March 29th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I haven't felt anything like that, but what the other ladies have said makes sense. I hope you feel better! Life does sound really hectic for you right now!

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
March 29th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Veteran
I'm popping in from the october ddc. It might not be related to pregnancy at all - a few years ago I had a herniated disc in my lower back and had to have surgery; while I was waiting for surgery (two weeks before), I ended up having appendicitus. Obviously those are a little more extreme than what you might be dealing with and I am NOT trying to scare you (!), but at the time, I remember noting that the days my back really hurt were also the days that I had lower ab pain.

I guess I'm just mentioning this because it's possible if you tweaked some things in your back that the pain/ irritation can radiate to your lower abs or other areas. So I wouldn't worry if I were you - take it easy and relax your back (try ice and/or heat), and hopefully you'll feel better in a few days!
Dolly Lama likes this.
March 29th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Veteran
I'm popping in from the october ddc. It might not be related to pregnancy at all - a few years ago I had a herniated disc in my lower back and had to have surgery; while I was waiting for surgery (two weeks before), I ended up having appendicitus. Obviously those are a little more extreme than what you might be dealing with and I am NOT trying to scare you (!), but at the time, I remember noting that the days my back really hurt were also the days that I had lower ab pain.

I guess I'm just mentioning this because it's possible if you tweaked some things in your back that the pain/ irritation can radiate to your lower abs or other areas. So I wouldn't worry if I were you - take it easy and relax your back (try ice and/or heat), and hopefully you'll feel better in a few days!
March 29th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Thanks so much for the feedback! My back is still the same this morning, but the tight/crampy feeling seems to be better. It probably is two unrelated issues. I had a loss the first time I was pregnant, which has made me always panic about what terrible thing might be wrong with me whenever anything seems a little off when I am pregnant. I really appreciate the kind words and support!
March 29th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It might be braxton hicks contractions, call your OB and explain what you are feeling, he might be able to give you a better answer! Good luck!

March 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_Mommy View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback! My back is still the same this morning, but the tight/crampy feeling seems to be better. It probably is two unrelated issues. I had a loss the first time I was pregnant, which has made me always panic about what terrible thing might be wrong with me whenever anything seems a little off when I am pregnant. I really appreciate the kind words and support!
I had a sore back and cramps throughout my entire pregnancy...then I started spotting when I was 12 weeks, and it totally freaked me out (I has two early loses and this is my third pregnancy, so I don't know what is 'normal' and I worry about everything!). the first time I had spotting I went to the urgent care clinic because it was the weekend. They sent me for an US on the Monday and everything looked great! Then the brown spotting turned pinkish red (sorry, TMI), so I made an appointment with my doctor. She did a pelvic exam and told me that I have a highly vascularized cervix, and that the blood can irritate the uterus causing cramping. The back pain was either due to the cramping or ligament stretching. She sent me for another US just to make sure (this was two weeks after the previous one) and everything looked excellent! Growth was right on track, HR was 145, and he/she was moving like crazy! All this happened 3-4 weeks ago. The point is that we tend to worry about every little thing, and I think this happens moreso when we've experinced a loss. For what it's worth, my doc told me that these things can be normal (every person and every pregnancy is different), and that I only need to worry if I have contractions and heavy bleeding
March 29th, 2013, 04:04 PM
AIK112018's Avatar Elizabeth
I get that sometimes too. Since this is your third (or more) pregnancy, things gets achy a lot faster than other mommas who are going through their first or second pregnancy.
This is my fifth pregnancy, and I am getting back pains, hip pains, braxton hicks contractions, and round ligament pains. I feel the back pain more when i am doing things around the house....

It also depends on how far along you are as well. The further along in pregnancy you are, the more your joints will "loosen" to make room for baby. Also make sure you are getting enough nutrition in for baby if you arent... the baby will "take" what he or she needs from you if there isn't enough coming through from foods and vitamins you eat. I hope the pain goes away for you soon!
March 30th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and your suggestions! I also found in my reading that dehydration can cause uterine cramps in pregnant women and realized that my fluid intake may be too low. Now I'm trying like crazy to down fluids. The tight feeling in my uterus really seems to be affected by the amount of fluids, so I think that's what I'm dealing with. The back pain got better...I guess that was from bending over wrong. Thanks again ladies!
mirdeemrlvs likes this.
March 31st, 2013, 08:12 AM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had this too. Maybe try going to the Chiropractor? I have been having a ton of Braxton Hicks also.

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
March 31st, 2013, 11:25 AM
mommyof2boys0207's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It would a lot like braxton hicks. You want stop them but it wouldn't hurt to bring lots of water.

Wow lol auto correct sucks!...*it sounds like*...and *drink* lots of water
DD- Savannah - June 30th, 2011
DS- Jameson - September 18th, 2013
March 31st, 2013, 01:46 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yep I get this a lot, Braxton hicks I think. I was that way all day yesterday and today dh is taking over, so I don't get that way again. I cant risk bedrest again
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search