Family names?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rebecca0217

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Who is using them? With DD I really wanted to use my Grandma's name. all of the cousins agreed who ever had the first girl could use it...well after 6 boys (3 of which my sister had) I had the first girl!!! I was so excited cuz I was the youngest and didn't think I would get to use it but anyway...so Karlee's middle name is Genevieve after her. Well we had always kind of planned to use family names for middle names. My sister did it with all of her boys but I am at a total lose now! If it is a girl her middle name will be Caroline after my moms middle name. BUt for a boy.....I got nothing.... my sister already used my dads and DH is a junior and HATES his middle name. He didn't even know his grandpa's middle name! My grandpa was an *****. Beat my grandma till she finally left him and my dad didn't even go to his funeral. My other Grandpa was an alcoholic and not a great man but sobered up when he was older but we weren't really close. Should we just scrap the whole family name thing if it is a boy? How do you feel about family names?

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
March 30th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We named DD Lorena Ann; Lorena was my grandmothers first name and Ann is mine and my mom's middle name. DS is Vincent Robert after DH's grandpa, who was Robert Vincent.

If this baby is a girl, her middle name will be Carleen which is a mix of my mom's first name (Carol) and my MIL's middle name (Eileen). If it's a boy, I have no idea but I want to figure something out.

March 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think that if its an important tradition and has meaning for you and your family-then use family names.
For us we try to use family names and we have the added challenge of using Bible or saint names as well for either the Middle name or first.
Our First 2 boys were easy-John Robert after Dh's uncle and father, Luke Thomas saints name plus my Dad's name. With DD we Chose Natalie Rose, saints name but not a family name-just one I have liked since I was little. FOr DS#3 it was tougher. Scott is not a Saint or Bible name so Anthony was chosen (he is one of my fave saints) For this one the middle name will be Amado after my grandfather and the first name has to be a Bible/Saint name-we are talking about James but aren't settled yet. If its a girl the name is going to be Clara Nicole after my great-grandmother. It makes my older relatives very happy and I think instills a sense of family unity even if those ppl are already gone.
But if you hate the names or have simply run out of them there is nothing wrong with choosing a new one. Perhaps you could widen the list of possibilities by including role models or very close friends of your older family members-like a grandparents best friend.
Happy Song likes this.

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
March 30th, 2013, 12:51 PM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
Well, my oldest son is named Gregory after his Daddy. We named our 2nd daughter Rose Marie. Rose after my Mom and Marie after her Auntie. My youngest son is Zachariah James, after my Grandpa. I love family names, but I think they should be used if you really love and respect the person you are naming them after.
March 30th, 2013, 02:14 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
Helena is named after my grandma and grandma if we had a boy his name would have been after my grandpa and dhs grandpa....would your maiden name work for a middle name? or do you have a brother (or your dh that you could use for a middle name?)
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 30th, 2013, 03:02 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can't you "reuse the middle names"?

Rylan's middle name is Lee after MIL and Dakota's is Rose after me and my mom. We are debating whose name to use next for this one, but it will be a family name.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
March 30th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Our boy name is Emerson Cade or Cade Emerson. Either way Emerson is my DH grandfather's name.

For a girl my mom and MIL made is easy on us their names are Marilyn Anne and Mary Ann. I am not sure of the first name but the middle name is probably Elizabeth Anne or Elizabeth Nicole after myself.

I like the uses of surnames and reusing family names that your sister used is fine for me. There are also variations of a name like Nicole, you could use Nicolette, Nico, Nicholas, or any variation from any language if you don't want an exact repeat.

Good luck!

March 31st, 2013, 10:16 AM
Super Mommy
I say use any family name you want even if your sister has used it as middle names for her children.

My evil SIL named her son my dad's 1st name and i straight up told them when they announced names prior to his birth that I didn't care but don't get mad if I use it if I have a boy. We hvae nothing to do with them now so I totally plan on using it as a middle name if this baby is a boy. ..and she will bet ****** by I don't care. DS is Jacob Matthew James. DH is Matthew James and his dad is James. Jacob is a derivative of my grandfathe's middle name but we used it becase we both really liked it.

I think as long as your kids don't have the exact same name then using the family names you want is ok evne if she has used them as middle names etc.
March 31st, 2013, 07:10 PM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use family names too. DH is James Michael, his dad is Vincent James, and his Grandfather is James Vincent. My DS1 is Tristan James, and DS2 is Kaden Michael. DD is Caitlyn (is form of Catherine-my name) and if this one is a girl, I think DH and I have agreed on Vivian Lei-Lei is my mom's middle name

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 31st, 2013, 07:35 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think reusing family names is totally acceptable! My sister gave her second son the same middle name I gave my second son "Edward" after our deceased grandfather. I didn't mind one bit.

All my kids have at least one family name in their names.

April 1st, 2013, 05:40 AM
AmbzAsh's Avatar Little Miss Sunshine
Using family names as middles names is very important for my bf's side of the family and I am totally fine with that.

So our little's guy middle name will either be Colin, Ian, or Sutherland. All of these have been used in his family except Colin. Not sure if we will use it though.

I say go for it! I think reusing a family name that has already been used is totally fine!

April 1st, 2013, 12:42 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_allie1010 View Post
Who is using them? With DD I really wanted to use my Grandma's name. all of the cousins agreed who ever had the first girl could use it...well after 6 boys (3 of which my sister had) I had the first girl!!! I was so excited cuz I was the youngest and didn't think I would get to use it but anyway...so Karlee's middle name is Genevieve after her. Well we had always kind of planned to use family names for middle names. My sister did it with all of her boys but I am at a total lose now! If it is a girl her middle name will be Caroline after my moms middle name. BUt for a boy.....I got nothing.... my sister already used my dads and DH is a junior and HATES his middle name. He didn't even know his grandpa's middle name! My grandpa was an *****. Beat my grandma till she finally left him and my dad didn't even go to his funeral. My other Grandpa was an alcoholic and not a great man but sobered up when he was older but we weren't really close. Should we just scrap the whole family name thing if it is a boy? How do you feel about family names?
My husband is the FIFTH and if we were going to have a boy, we weren't going to have a sixth! His name is very different.. but, we had thought of a name that has the same amount of letters and sound "proper" like his. But, now we can't use it...... with a girl, I've come up with a name that rhymes with my sister's name and DH's sister died of cancer recently and we'll use her middle name (Mae).. not COMPLETELY sold on the name though, just "testing" it out...

April 1st, 2013, 01:00 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
I think its great to use family names if they are someone that means a lot to you. I wouldn't use the name of someone I wasn't close to. Also I would have trouble giving a name just because of tradition. Especially if it wasn't a good name. I LOVE my great grandparents that are both gone, but I couldn't find a way to use Oval or Elvie..

We are using family names because we want to. Our middle name will be JoAnn. My MIL's middle name is Jo and my mom's middle name (mine too) is Ann. If I didn't like the name I wouldn't have done it.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search