Too much testing and insurance??

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Super Mommy
Ugg! I'm so annoyed!

My drs office said to make sure my hubby comes to my first appt. I get there and pay my copay then they ask DH for his insurance card bc he was getting blood work. He asked specifically if insurance covers all this from an ob for a man and was told yes.

We go into the appt and my dr tells us how since our last baby 2.5 years ago they have all this new amazing generic testing blah blah.

So they draw 10 vials of my blood and 3 of DH. The whole time my DH keeps wondering about insurance... And the dr tells him not to worry they do this standard now.

So.... Fast forward a month and ....

DH gets slammed with $480 bill from the lab for his deductible and coinsurance for this lab work and I get a bill for $900 for just 2 of the tests done for my deductible.

I feel like the dr office pulled a fast one on us. They should have told us in advance (like the local hospotal does) of all the new things they do with billing codes to be able to check with insurance before hand about coverage. It's totally wrong for them to pass these off as routine at the first visit with no advance information and then have patients socked with thousands of dollars in bills!
I'm nervous for my maternit21 bill and my nt scan bill now. I guess we'll just forgo the tv and couch we were gonna buy for the basement playroom we just spend $5000 refinishing

My SIL 's dr does the same genetic testing but just the women first. If anything major then the hisband ... Makes more sense to me.

Not even sure if I can even call the dr office to complain... The lab billed me!

Uggg this is ridiculous
March 30th, 2013, 06:19 PM
amyhk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That does sound like a lot. 10 vials of blood? Wow. I only had three and one was for Maternit21 which I requested. Haven't gotten that bill yet either. I'm sure it will be a lovely surprise in the mail. I'm preparing for it, though, since we now have a high deductible insurance policy. All of our medical bills are "nice" surprises lately. DH supposedly gets more in his paycheck each time to make up the difference. Who knows. Can you call the insurance company and get more information on what they will and won't cover?

March 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG
I don't pay for anything except for private lab tech stuff. I would hate to pay, however, my dr has limited tested he is allowed to do for his patients and I got reemed out when I got pregnant with #7, cus he said he got audited with my 6th sons pregnancy. He only got audited cus my issues were the same with #5 and #6 and the medical system thought he was frauding cus their due dates were the same LOL well that's besides the point of your thread.
I agree they should of done ONLY you first and or explained everything instead of saying here, NOW PAY. like jeeze Id go off on both, the lab and the dr! Sorry its a lot of money to just spring on someone. SOrry that's my opinion.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

March 30th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
That completely sucks.

I got a surprise Bill from my Doctors office and called my insurance. So stressful to deal with this stuff.

March 31st, 2013, 06:16 AM
kaylacaroline's Avatar Veteran
I couldn't imagine having to deal with all the bills you ladies have to deal with. Just to have a **** baby? I thank my lucky stars I live where I do, everything here is free. Well, our high tax rate pays for it all, but I haven't put out a single dime throughout this pregnancy. Just another wonderful thing about Ontario.

I would have probably called and freaked on the doctor. That's a lot of money to dish out when you're not prepared for it.

March 31st, 2013, 08:05 AM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That stinks! How big is your deductible? With DD we had the same thing happen but it actually wasn't the Dr office fault. We had been seeing them since Sept and had already paid our deducible and then when Jan 1st hits you have to cover a new one. Our regular Dr visits are 100 covered by insurance.....after our deductible. So suddenly we got bills for my typical Dr apts. Thank fully after we covered our deductible we never got any more except our portion of her delivery bill.

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
March 31st, 2013, 09:08 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
honestly i'd try to dispute that. call your insurance and tell them what you were told. idk what they can do to help you but it is worth a shot. ugh what a PITA!!

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
March 31st, 2013, 09:13 AM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am also curious why your DH had to get blood work? Mine answered some family history questions with DD but we never had to do blood work wither time. There is so much new stuff now then a few years ago!

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
March 31st, 2013, 02:46 PM
Super Mommy
My hubby got blood work to test for 125 genetic disorders, same as me, to see if we could end up with a child with a disorder. It's new testing they didn't do 3 yrs ago for DD.

I have a 2k deductible and my husband $250 but its not on regular office visits or routine blood work ... Just things like MRI , outpatient procedure, hospital stays, surgery. So I knew I would have to pay for my nt scan and birth .... But not any of this bloodwork testing that my dr does routine. Obviously our insurance companies don't feel that way and I'm sure the dr office knows they aren't considered routine. That's my issue, that the practice should have presented it as extra testing with billing codes, not as routine.

I have an appt wed morning and I am going to raise hell. It's $1400 I wasn't expecting ... That's a freakin lot of money for tests that were not necessary
March 31st, 2013, 03:06 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I would be really annoyed too, I'm not sure what tests they ran on your husband but with the exception of karyotyping (which we had done as part of RPL work up) generally they test mother first and only follow up to test husband if something carrier related pops on mother's test (like CF, where both parents have to be carrier...why bother testing husband if mom is neg for carrier?). Doing that aggressive proactive testing they def should have warned you first about cost so you could double check with insurance before opting for it. With the karyotyping we we warned (not just by OB, but also by LabCorp where the blood draw happened) that if insurance declined to cover the tests would run around $1200 for each of us, so we went in eyes wide open on potential out of pocket cost (my insurance did cover it, thankfully).

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 1st, 2013, 04:11 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
man... I would be ticked!! That is SO messed up. The dr. isn't sure or doesn't care and you get stuck with the bill!! For a dr, it wouldn't be a big deal. That's messed up. Sorry!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search