TMI question for BTDT mommies (and everyone else too!)

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By LauraS214
  • 1 Post By Keakie
  • 1 Post By mirdeemrlvs
  • 1 Post By jensma
  • 1 Post By TayAnd2Angels
  • 1 Post By breathing for two
  • 1 Post By AmbzAsh
  • 1 Post By Anitha
  • 1 Post By beckiethedoula

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 06:12 PM
AmbzAsh's Avatar Little Miss Sunshine
Hey ladies!

So today I went in for my appt (I had it moved up from Thursday due to some "issues" I've been having). I am 15 weeks today! First of all, baby sounded great on the doppler. His heart rate was steady in the 160s. No worries there!!

Over the weekend, I started having some cramps and lower back cramps/tugging/pulling. Then, on Saturday night, I had some thick mucous discharge....it looked like pure snot. It was so weird. And there was a lot of it. I called my doc and she said not to worry...it was pretty normal and they would just check me at my appt. Well the thick mucous-like discharge continued so I called this morning and got my appt changed to today.

Well, after a culture was done and she checked it, I have bacterial vaginosis (BV) and a bladder infection. I am two medications for the next week.

Have any of you had this while being pregnant?! I am seriously freaked out because she told me that BV has been linked to the possibilty of premature labor and low birth weight. Of course after telling me that, I freaked out.
April 1st, 2013, 06:16 PM
LauraS214's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never had that but I hope the meds work for you and that everything is ok! (I'm sure it is)
AmbzAsh likes this.

April 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
No BTDT here either, but I'm glad that they seem to have caught it early and hope you heal up quickly. I would try not to worry - a lot of those scary scenarios tend to happen in situations where it's present and ignored for a long time.

I'm glad that everything else is looking good!
AmbzAsh likes this.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
April 1st, 2013, 07:40 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
a syringe filled with hydrogen peroxide 3% works to cure BV. You can google it. I personally use this when I have flare ups. If you are uncomfortable, taking a bath in epsom salt helps to releive symptoms right away. So does the hydrogen peroxide. For the bladder infection, try cranberry supplements.

you'll see that the medication that they give you is apparently not very effective against reoccuring BV (if you do a google search)
AmbzAsh likes this.

April 1st, 2013, 08:55 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
i haven't had it either but i feel like its pretty normal from my understanding. glad you've got it cleared up though!
AmbzAsh likes this.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
April 1st, 2013, 10:45 PM
TayAnd2Angels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had it but I wouldn't think at 15 weeks either of those things would be a concern. I hope you feel better quickly. No fun at all!
AmbzAsh likes this.

April 2nd, 2013, 05:31 AM
Destiny
I had preterm labour caused by BV (it was masked by a very nasty and persistent yeast infection.)
Make sure you get tested for it again after your treatment, because it does reoccur. I would also suggest looking into alternative preventative treatments.
AmbzAsh likes this.

April 2nd, 2013, 07:04 AM
AmbzAsh's Avatar Little Miss Sunshine
I'm definitely going to ask to be rechecked at each appt after this one. Thanks for that tip, Destiny!

Thanks for the Peroxide and Cranberry tips, Mirdeemrlvs! I will definitely look into both of those!
mirdeemrlvs likes this.
April 2nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No experience here. But just wanted to give you hugs. Glad they caught it early and will be keeping an eye on things.
AmbzAsh likes this.

April 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any experience with BV during pregnancy, but I did have it while not pg and the antibiotics they gave me for it RUINED me. My bowels turned to water and I got the worst yeast infection I've ever had in my life. So if you're taking them I would definitely get a good probiotic like Florestor.

I have had chronic UTI's in the past and I keep CranActin the house at all times. If I even think I might be getting one I start double dosing. I haven't had a UTI in 4 years by doing that.

I hope it all clears up for you!
mirdeemrlvs likes this.

April 2nd, 2013, 10:32 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had BV and took a vaginal suppository for it. I wonder if this might lower the risk of any side-effects like bowel issues or whatever? I had zero problems from the meds and it went away and did not come back for a long time. I tend to get it after I have a baby for some reason... within the first 6 months PP. I think pregnancy and birth messes with our ph down there.

I would ask your dr. about doing any home remedies before you do it. Personally, I would just take the meds and call it good. Antibiotics should work within days and you should notice a dramatic difference.

I'm pretty sure that BV should not cause a real problem with your pregnancy unless it was left untreated. Thankfully, you noticed and are taking care of it so try not to worry too much. I think the real concern is that some women don't have many obvious symptoms. Just FYI, sometimes the only symptom I had was a yucky "fish" smell (tmi - gross, I know), sometimes ONLY on contact with water, like in the shower. So when it's gone and you're worried about whether it has come back, pay attention when you are in the shower. Also, if you're really concerned, you could ask them to just go ahead and test you once a month. They might think it's over-kill but it's a very simple test that they can do in the office.

Also, I don't *know* but I would highly suspect that the crampy feelings are due to the bladder infection and not the BV. BV usually causes no crampiness in the pelvis unless it is left untreated for a LONG period of time and gets so severe that it turns into Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. But bladder infections commonly cause crampiness and aches and pains in the pelvic area. Just thought it might help you psychologically to know that it's probably your bladder causing the aches and pains and not your uterus (besides normal uterine stretching perhaps which you might feel, infections or not).

Anyhoo, hope you feel better soon!! Antibiotics usually kick butt in a matter of days.

[/url]

April 2nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
Veteran
OMG I'm so glad you posted this. My doc called yesterday and said "well, your pap smear was normal but there was bacteria there that doesn't belong" so they want me to use this gel something or other for five days before my appointment on Monday, where they'll run a culture and see what it is. I wish they'd stop scaring me.

They told me I had a UTI, but I never had any symptoms. I took the antibiotics for it for 4 days and couldn't keep ANYTHING down, so I stopped. No ill effects of not taking the drugs, either.

Anyway, now that you say you're having this issue, I wonder if that's what's up with me, too. I do have a sort of delicate pH. Any type of antibiotic is pretty much guaranteed to give me a yeast infection.

I'll definitely try the home remedies mentioned, and I'm so glad there are apparently suppositories for it (in case that is what I end up having). I'm 90% certain that any attempt at further oral antibiotics would have the same result.
April 2nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
Veteran
OMG I'm so glad you posted this. My doc called yesterday and said "well, your pap smear was normal but there was bacteria there that doesn't belong" so they want me to use this gel something or other for five days before my appointment on Monday, where they'll run a culture and see what it is. I wish they'd stop scaring me.

They told me I had a UTI, but I never had any symptoms. I took the antibiotics for it for 4 days and couldn't keep ANYTHING down, so I stopped. No ill effects of not taking the drugs, either.

Anyway, now that you say you're having this issue, I wonder if that's what's up with me, too. I do have a sort of delicate pH. Any type of antibiotic is pretty much guaranteed to give me a yeast infection.

I'll definitely try the home remedies mentioned, and I'm so glad there are apparently suppositories for it (in case that is what I end up having). I'm 90% certain that any attempt at further oral antibiotics would have the same result.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search