Will you ladies read my parenting blog sample?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 321abc

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2013, 11:47 AM
321abc
I found a website that is looking for parenting bloggers and I thought, why not give it a shot.
They didn't give me a topic other than parenting so I decided to write about breastfeeding.
Everyone told me it was butterflies and rainbows and didn't tell me that it was going to be tough at first and I almost gave up at first. I thought I would write a silly, yet encouraging article about it but not sugar coat it as much as what people did for me. Don't be afraid to tell me if its ridiculous, I haven't written since English and Journalism class in high school. I also don't want to make a fool of myself by sending it in lol

The Not So Sugarcoated Truth about Breastfeeding

Let me start by saying that breastfeeding IS what is best for your baby and itís a great way to bond with your baby. Itís actually one of the most precious things I have ever experienced. This is what most people will tell you as well! But, what about what they donít tell you?

It isnít always easy. Sometimes your baby wonít latch right away like you would think. Sometimes it takes hours or even days to get the hang of it, especially if you donít have the best ďequipment.Ē
It will hurt! Not forever, but latching will sting and it will sting again when they unlatch, for at least a week. Make sure you have a baby safe nipple cream on hand to ease the pain. If it hurts the whole time, you may ask your nurse to check the babyís latch to see if they have it down correctly. Ideally, you would be at a hospital or birthing center with a great lactation consultant or with nurses that support and encourage breastfeeding. Unfortunately that isnít always the case. Donít let them force formula on your baby if you donít get it down right away, keep trying, itís worth it!

Once you get the latch down things do get easier, but then you play the waiting game. They say it should take a couple of days for your milk to come in and in the meantime baby will snack on colostrum. Mine didnít come in until day 4! To help your milk come in it is important to nurse at least every 2 hours or sooner if your baby seems hungry. You will know when your milk comes in. Then it gets even easier! Baby is getting his fill of tasty milk and you get a little more rest. It will take a few weeks for your supply to establish so make sure you carry extra nursing pads with you for leaks or sometimes even squirts! (YIKES!) Before you know it your body will have adjusted to your babies needs and will continue to adjust to his needs as he grows.

You will come across people who discourage breastfeeding, especially in public. My grandmother is one of them! Donít let them get you down! Thatís why women have breasts, God didnít give them to us to flaunt. Donít let someone make you go to the bathroom to feed your baby if you arenít comfortable with that and in most states itís illegal to be asked to leave a store or restaurant because you are breastfeeding. If you are uncomfortable feeding in public, bring a small ice chest with some expressed milk and feed with a bottle. (This is only recommended after a good latch is established.)

Even though breastfeeding has its trials, no one will convince me that itís easier to make a bottle every two hours for the first few weeks of babyís life and they certainly wonít convince me that formula is better. I encourage you to give it a try! Stick through the first two weeks and then decide if you want to continue. It is special, rewarding and beneficial for mommy and baby!

Last edited by 321abc; April 3rd, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
April 3rd, 2013, 01:45 PM
321abc
I just reread this and see some misspelling and punctuation issues that I will fix if I decide to send it in
April 4th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's a great article. Couple of this I would suggest adding:

In the last but one paragraph, you could mention about capes and covers as an option if modesty was discouraging them to breastfeed in public.

In the very last paragraph, just a little bit about whatever little breast milk the mom can give is beneficial, so its very important to atleast try before deciding on formula. Also a mention of many medical reasons and extenuating circumstances where no amount of trying succeeds and moms sometimes end up having to give formula. This is nothing to be ashamed of and feel guilty of.

JMO. Goodluck!!

April 4th, 2013, 12:10 PM
321abc
Thank you for the input.
I completely agree! No reason to be ashamed of feeding formula if it doesn't work out. I switched at 6 months because of reoccurring mastitis and clogged ducts. I don't know why I didn't add that'
Anitha likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search