Braxton hicks... What's considered normal?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Babybear4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 01:10 PM
321abc
First off, sorry for posting so much lately lol

I'm 18 weeks 5 days today and the last couple of days I have been noticing a lot of BH.
I haven't counted but some of them actually kind of hurt. One woke me up last night. I've been in labor before, it doesn't feel anything like that.
But I was on Pitocin.

I felt the baby moving a lot last night before I fell asleep so I'm pretty sure she's ok. I just don't remember having such intense BH until my 3rd trimester in my last pregnancy.
Should I be concerned?
April 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When is your next appointment? I would bring this up to the doc. Braxton hicks never hurt me or woke me up. They would just feel like tightness and a bit of pressure. Also pitocin contraction are supposed to be way more painful than natural ones right? Time them. I think you are not supposed to have more than 5 or 6 in an hour and also watch if they are getting more frequent more intense etc. Call doctor if either of those is true. I hope they just go away. Try drinking water and laying down on your side.

April 4th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what's normal with BH, all I can tell you is that I have them too, but they don't hurt at all. With my other kids, I don't remember this happening until I was much further along, but I've heard that it tends to come on a little earlier after being pregnant a couple of times.

As far as everything else, I agree with Anitha. Hopefully you have an appointment set up soon.
April 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM
321abc
I have an appointment on the 18th I think.
The only reason that I haven't called my OB is because since I'm under 24 weeks they can't do anything about it. I think they would tell me to drink water and lay on my left side. I think they are BH because they stop when I change what I'm doing (get up if I'm sitting/sit if I'm walking around) I have still been spotting a teeny bit but my placenta has moved up some
April 4th, 2013, 02:40 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I think it's all good as long as they're infrequent and not increasing in frequency in a way that it could signal some type of pre-term labor issue. Definitely good to mention to your OB next apt (or sooner if you're worried).

I never even knew when I was having BH contractions with Savannah...I can remember at several appts (on a monitor) they'd tell me "oh you're having some contractions) and I had no clue. Pitocin contractions are whole different experience...won't ever confuse those

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 4th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye10 View Post
I think they are BH because they stop when I change what I'm doing (get up if I'm sitting/sit if I'm walking around)
Thats the indication they tell you to use to distinqush real contractions from BH. I would maybe give your OB's office a call and let them know that they are frequent. Definetly pay attention to how far apart they are and how long they ask, even start recording the times to tell ur OB maybe?

I had ALOT of BH with DS and he was premature. So I would make sure your dr knows about them.

I think becaue they do let up and go away if you change positions, they are just BH and nothing else to be worried about tho.
April 4th, 2013, 05:33 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
Since this is my first I have NO idea what they feel like. I assume if I get them I will know?

I would definitely call the doc just to tell them about it. Can't hurt!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
April 4th, 2013, 06:52 PM
321abc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbert View Post
Since this is my first I have NO idea what they feel like. I assume if I get them I will know?

I would definitely call the doc just to tell them about it. Can't hurt!
Usually they feel like your tummy just gets really hard. Like a calf Charlie horse with out the pain.
April 4th, 2013, 07:09 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye10 View Post
I have an appointment on the 18th I think.
The only reason that I haven't called my OB is because since I'm under 24 weeks they can't do anything about it. I think they would tell me to drink water and lay on my left side.
I'm confused as to what you mean by this. What does before 24 weeks mean in regards to Braxton Hicks? I was hospitalized at 20 weeks for contractions during my last pregnancy and put on procardia to make them stop. I'm contracting a lot now at 17 weeks and they're definitely doing a lot more than telling me to drink water.

Definitely tell your doctor how your feeling. If you're having a lot, they may want to monitor you.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

April 4th, 2013, 07:26 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
Sorry, I was on my phone before and that post may have seemed a little... curt?

All I mean is that if they're so painful that they wake you up at night, that's definitely something to bring to the doctor's attention no matter how far along you are. You could be super dehydrated without realizing it, OR have an unresolved infection. Didn't you have a bladder infection a while back? It's possible that it's not totally cleared up and that can cause painful contractions. Braxton Hicks are definitely normal, but feeling them intensely this early is not. And there are a few things they can do to help regardless of whether or not you're 24 weeks.

With my first, I always thought that stuff was normal and so I never mentioned it to my doctors. The only reason I even called the night I gave birth to my son was because the "Braxton Hicks" were annoying me and keeping me awake. Shocked the hell out of me when the nurse condescendingly told me I was in labor and told me to get my *** to the hospital.

During my last pregnancy, I started having strong contractions at 17 weeks. I mentioned it casually to my doctor and they had me strapped to a monitor faster than I could say "Braxton Hicks."

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

April 5th, 2013, 09:05 AM
321abc
At our county hospital anything under 24 weeks is considered a miscariage so they don't do anything to stop labor. Is what I mean by that.
I've been drinking 64 oz of water a day. And I just got a clean urine culture.
I just left a message for the nurse to call me back at my OB office.
She called back as I was typing.
She thinks it has to do with my low lying placenta and that they probably are contractions but if they aren't regular it's ok. She said drink lots of water and stay off of my feet and that unfortunately 18 weeks is too early to give labor stopping meds (started with a p)

She didnt sound super concerned but that she did want me on bed rest though the weekend (yeah right! My husband is out of town and I have a 15 month old.)
April 5th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You could try calcium/magnesium as well. My previous OB always recommends that for irritable uterus and leg cramps.
ValyntineG and 321abc like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search