Appointment with the new OB.

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Babybear4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Had my first appointment today with the new OB and wasn't too impressed. We waited forever, then the nurse asked me all of the questions that I had JUST answered on my paperwork, then the doctor came in and asked me ALL of the same questions, listened to the heartbeat and shook our hands.

The receptionist had told me he would do a thorough examination, including an ultrasound. Then, the nurse said he would likely have me scheduled for an ultrasound in a couple of days or he may do it today. Then, the doctor told me that they will schedule me for an ultrasound in about 6 weeks...so not what I was expecting.

Plus, I have to go to a lab for any blood tests, which I know is fairly normal but it's not at all what I am used to. My previous OB did all blood tests in office.

Since I was expecting an ultrasound today and to potentially be able to find out the gender, I was, obviously, pretty disappointed. I called a place that's about 2 hours away and I am scheduled for an elective ultrasound to find out the gender on Saturday!

I am also going to be meeting with a homebirth midwife on Monday and after my appointment today, I honestly think that's the route I want to go. I just want to be treated like a human. I want to feel like somebody cares. We have nobody up here and the last thing I want is an obstetrician who has to read my chart just to remember my name. I also submitted some information to find out what my insurance will cover for a homebirth, so I am just hoping to find out some good news there!

So, that's my long, whiny update!

April 4th, 2013, 08:49 PM
estherm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I hope you get in with a midwife you truly feel comfortable with!!
I LOVE my midwife..

Are all the midwives by you only homebirth midwives or do they have hospital privileges as well?? Just curious

Es

Thank you Jaidensmum!

April 4th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by estherm View Post
Oh I hope you get in with a midwife you truly feel comfortable with!!
I LOVE my midwife..

Are all the midwives by you only homebirth midwives or do they have hospital privileges as well?? Just curious

Es
The ones with hospital privileges work in OB's offices, so I would still be required to see an OB on a rotating basis and could end up with anybody in the office for delivery.

April 4th, 2013, 09:56 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can totally sympathize.. I struggled with deciding on an OB.. I even changed my insurance to get a civilian OB vs. a military one. I am not very impressed with her at all. I tried to change my insurance back, but I can't for a year. So, I am stuck... it's good you have an elective ultrasound place near and get to find out soon :-)

April 5th, 2013, 07:19 AM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
How frustrating! I would have said "I was told I would get an u/s, so you better give me one!" Its like none of them communicate with each other at all.

I like my doctor, but when I went for my first visit with him it was so rushed. Squeeze here, poke there, congratulations, see you later... My RE before this was amazing, so I am used to that. He was so nice and funny and took all the time in the world with us. OB offices are NOTHING like that. Makes me sad.

Yay for your gender scan! I would have done the same thing

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
April 5th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Finding is a decent OB is soooo hard!! I am not too impressed with mine either and i am bracing myself to fight her every step of the way when it comes to interventions! Good luck in your midwife search

April 5th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Ugh, I'm so sorry that your OB appointment didn't go as well as you hoped. That doesn't sound like a great appointment to me either. I was disappointed that I had to move my anatomy/gender scan by 3 days. I would have been crushed to have to wait several more weeks. Glad that you were able to get an elective U/S in anyway, and can't wait to hear which team you're going to be on this time!

I hope that you end up with someone you feel really confident with, whether that's an OB or a midwife (and can I say how awesome I think it is that you're considering that route? ).

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
April 5th, 2013, 08:39 AM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Boo on crappy OB's! They aren't all bad, but when they are, it sucks! I'm excited for your gender u/s! I still have 4ish weeks before I get mine!

April 5th, 2013, 08:56 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
I'm so sorry your Dr's appointment did not go as you expected. I can totally understand your frustration because I would be just as frustrated. That was totally unacceptable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search