One thing after another! Update in original post!

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By L-SBB
  • 2 Post By Babybear4
  • 1 Post By 321abc
  • 2 Post By Heidijens1
  • 2 Post By 321abc
  • 1 Post By mirdeemrlvs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 08:49 AM
321abc
I lost/someone stole my wallet!!

The last time I used it was Tuesday. I noticed it wasn't in my diaper bag when I was leaving to go eat with friends last night but was in a hurry and assumed I had misplaced it in my house. (I'm reorganizing and switching out bedrooms so that was highly likely)
I called my husband and had him check our bank account online and he said he didn't notice anything so I brushed it off.

At midnight I couldn't sleep and I decided to look at our bank account online and noticed that this jerk that stole my wallet spent $60 two times on an inmate calling card or service and over $100 paying a phone bill from a different company than what we use, oh and $.86 on something lol.
I was irate!

I called and canceled my card this morning and then went to the bank to dispute charges and filed a police report. I'm really hoping they find this person because not only did they have my debit card but my ss card (stupid of me I know) and my drivers license.
This is super frustrating!!

I heard from the detective that investigated my stolen wallet and fraudulent charges. He told me since the charges were made online they cannot prosecute. Something about they have to be caught on camera or they have to use it in person so they can contact the teller that processes the payment. The bank is refunding my money and I put a fraud alert on my credit but I'm a little dissapointed that this person got away with it. I guess they really needed the money. But, they will have it on their conscience for the rest of their lives I guess that will be enough punishment

Last edited by 321abc; April 9th, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
April 5th, 2013, 08:54 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
ugh oh that just sucks! I had my wallet stolen years ago and it's a nightmare just dealing with getting your IDs redone and cancelling everything. I'm so sorry it happened to you - definitely jump on the SS issue though, I'm not sure what they do but you don't want someone using it (or selling it) to someone who can then impersonate you with new govt issued IDs based on it.
Keakie likes this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 5th, 2013, 08:54 AM
kaylacaroline's Avatar Veteran
That happened to my Mom. Except the person racked up 34,000$ over night. Sold her Visa number to a ring of people. Thank god Visa wiped it out after and investigation. That's also when we found out it doesn't matter what your credit limit is.

Is you bank going to cover what you lost? Also, they may have set up direct payees and stuff. Make sure you look at EVERYTHING.

That really sucks ***. People can be awful.

April 5th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow!! That is such a nightmare! ugh ugh...I think you have done everything necessary...what a pain it would be to replace all of that. My head hurts just thinking about it...also keep an eye on your credit report regularly!

April 5th, 2013, 09:10 AM
321abc
Thankfully we don't have any credit cards! And I have no credit lol
So they won't have much luck opening anything in my name.
Since it looks like they paid a phone bill with it I'm hoping the police can track them down.

Oh and yes our bank covered it without a question
April 5th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That is horrible, I am sorry! I am glad that you got the card cancelled and your back helped you out!

If you ARE worried about somebody trying to open lines of credit in your name, you can call the credit bureaus and put flags on your credit, so they have to call you to authorize any new lines of credit.
Alpha_allie1010 and 321abc like this.

April 5th, 2013, 09:39 AM
321abc
I may do that anyway.
They would have a pretty big down payment and they can't get that from me since I cancelled my card, but I would hate to suddenly be responsible for some thief's bills.
Keakie likes this.
April 5th, 2013, 09:51 AM
321abc
This is one instance that I'm glad my husband has everything in his name and that I don't have credit!
April 5th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
From someone with personal experience with Id theft. They have your SS # thats pretty much all it takes to open a credit account. You need to be calling/ contacting the credit bureaus NOW and be putting a flag on your credit. Even just so you know if somebody tries to open an account.
You also need to get to the police department and file a report NOW. they need to have this info to possibly catch who is doing this and if somebody does try to use your identity you will be able to have it on police record of it being stolen.
Please don't wait, do it now!! You don't want to even wait a day. esp sense they have your Drivers license and your ss#!
Alpha_allie1010 and Keakie like this.
April 5th, 2013, 10:05 AM
321abc
I have already filed a police report
Keakie and Heidijens1 like this.
April 5th, 2013, 10:32 AM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh man!! I'm so sorry! A couple of times, my husband has used his debit card on line and had the number stolen and I've had to cancel his card and dispute charges. That was frustrating enough! I'm so sorry for what you are going through. It's not like you can change your ss#...
321abc likes this.

April 5th, 2013, 10:42 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
ugh i'm sorry. i guess at least you got lucky it was't someone who drained you immediately hopefully they get it all sorted out soon.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
April 5th, 2013, 11:29 AM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
Ugh.. that is so scary and so frustrating!

I had this happen when I was in college. I was in band and someone stole my purse out of my instrument bin.. ***? They even had a set of my car keys. I had to have someone come pick me up from school because I couldn't get home. Then I had to cancel my debit card, one CC and a gas card. SUCKED.

Hope you got it all sorted out and they catch that jerk!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
April 5th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Veteran
The first time I had my card number stolen, it was my debit card and the bank refused to give me the money back. I was furious. Thankfully, my dad used the same bank (and has quite a bit of money that the bank would definitely miss if he were to leave) so he was able to help. It was embarassing as a grown adult to go into the bank and have my dad fight my battle for me, but it got me the money back. After that, I started using only a credit card. My number has been compromised twice since then, both times I just reported it to the company, they immediately took the charges off my account, cancelled the card and sent me a new one. They even offered to give me a cash advance with zero interest if I needed money in the few days it took for my card to be mailed to me.

I'm SO glad your bank gave you your money back. Definitely watch your credit to make sure nothing is opened in your name.
DS ~ October 2007
April 5th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
That's so scary! I'm so sorry. I lost my wallet once, and it was such a pain to replace everything. Thankfully my debit card couldn't be used without a PIN, and I had no credit cards at the time, but it's still a miserable thing to go through.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
April 5th, 2013, 04:23 PM
321abc
I guess they paid their bills online that's the only way I think they could've gotten away with it. I didn't sign the back of the card so the cashier should've asked for identification.. I know they had my ID but they would have to look like me to get away with it.
April 6th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Veteran
I don't sign the back of my cards either, but very rarely am I asked for ID when buying something. MAYBE once every 2-3 months I am asked. :/
DS ~ October 2007
April 9th, 2013, 12:56 PM
321abc
Updated in original post

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search