Generally unhappy with OB and Insurance and such. Also, TMI.

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Heidijens1
  • 2 Post By Babybear4
  • 2 Post By My3His1

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran
So, every time I go to the ob, I get a call a couple of days later that I need to go spend $30 on this over the counter supplement or $30 on that antibiotic. They're doing a pap every visit, which is fine I guess except that they send it to an outside lab. So on top of the copay for the office visit, I then have to pay $50 to the lab for a pap test.

Last time, they said my pap was negative for HPV, but that there was a "weird bacteria" they wanted to test. I asked what they were testing for and all I got back was "Oh, it's just bacteria". Now, I might be concerned I guess, except I'm not having any symptoms at all. No weird discharge or smell or pain or discomfort ever. Not when I pee, not when I have sex. Everything down there seems to be going on just fine.

So they call me last week and tell me about the test for the bacteria that requires that I get another $30 prescription. Some gel that I'm supposed to apply for five days before they test. So does anybody know what this gel is used to test for?? Because my ob clearly isn't going to tell me.

I haven't picked up the prescription yet. I got angry at them and their testing when ON THE SAME DAY they tell me I need to get this gel, I also get a total of $240 in bills from the lab for pap smears and blood work and this, that, and the other AND a $317 bill from the ob for various services.

Ugh. I mean, why do they insist there's something wrong with me when there's nothing wrong with me?

Also, why am I paying ridiculous premiums for health insurance just to have to pay ridiculous sums out of pocket as well??

...okay, I'm done ranting. Thanks for listening, ladies.
April 8th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
Sounds like you need to be looking for a new OB. I mean really it that the type of person you want delivering your baby? one that won't even answer your questions now sure doesn't sound like the type who is going to listen to your later when you are closer to delivery.
April 8th, 2013, 11:31 AM
321abc
I would definitely get a second opinion. There is no reason for them to give you a pap every time! They only do one pap per pregnancy at my OB plus a strep b swab.
Sounds like they want your money, not whats in your best interest
April 8th, 2013, 12:05 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sounds strange... pap every visit? They should be telling you specifically WHy and what they are looking for and why they want you to apply the gel. Very strange.

April 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is really weird! A PAP every single visit? That's not right. And they need to be telling you what they are testing/treating for. It's your RIGHT to know.

This is the whole reason I am hoping to go the midwife route this time around. I am so sick of OB's who forget that I am hiring THEM, that I am PAYING them for their services. I just don't get why some doctors act like they are completely in charge of your body, your experience, your care. YOU have a say, too. You have every right to ask what, when, where and why.

Anyway, if I were in your shoes, I would probably be looking for a new OB who would keep me informed of my care. You don't have to put up with that kind of treatment!
Keakie and My3His1 like this.

April 8th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree about a second opinion. That just seems so weird to me that they'd do a PAP so often, not answer your questions and not be understanding of financial concerns. Have you looked this person up online for reviews? You'd be surprised how often you find interesting things out about doctors from former patients.

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
April 8th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran
I would not fill the prescription and promptly find a new OB. That is ridiculous. Not only the amount of testing, but the way you are being treated when you ask about your own health. Almost sounds like they could possibly be testing just to make the money.
Alpha_allie1010 and Keakie like this.
DS ~ October 2007
April 8th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
all of the other ladies. I would be out of there, stat.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search