Neighbor mothball issue

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By ValyntineG
  • 1 Post By Mrs.Julie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Veteran
Suggestions welcome. We have some lovely rowhouse neighbors, who have never done an awesome job of keeping up their house. The wife is blind and the husband has part time work and they have 3 kids who live with them (all with kids themselves), and money is tight. The issue is as follows: a couple of years ago their gutter rotted off and squirrels started to nest in their attic. Squirrels also made their way to our side of the house (we have a finished attic). DH and I hired trappers to get them and seal up entry points. Trappers did the best they could, but said that squirrels were also getting in through shared wall/roofline. Happened nesting season after nesting season (trappers would be called in each time). We'd always let it go because they don't have a ton of $ and we could deal with it temporarily. This year, however, pregnant and exhausted, the squirrel noises were too much so I made DH go over and talk to the husband. He admitted $ was very tight but that his wife was also bothered by the noises. 3 weeks later they got the gutter fixed. We were excited.

However, since then, it's become clear that in addition to fixing the gutter they must have tossed a box or so of mothballs into the attic area. The smell is starting to come into our house and when I lean out over our balcony towards their house its super strong. Can I reasonably send DH over again to ask them to remove mothballs? They are basically our parents age, we're new to the neighborhood, they've been here 40 years and we made the fuss in the first place. The smell isn't overwhelming but is noticeable and I'm starting to worry about the effect on the baby.

How would you handle this?

Last edited by Chichidc; April 8th, 2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Typos made meaning unclear
April 8th, 2013, 09:04 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
That is the most bizarre problem I have heard in a WHILE.

I'm not sure how I would handle that! I mean, I know that I would spend a lot of time TALKING about how I was going to march over there and demand they remove the mothballs immediately.

But to actually go over there and confront the old, blind people?

I think I would just get some glad plug ins and try to get used to it. I'm not saying that's the right answer. I just know that's how I would probably deal with it. I speak my mind... but not to old blind people. I tell old blind people how lovely I think they are and offer to bake things.

OH WAIT.

I know what I would do.

I would offer to clean their house (for real) when the not blind one wasn't home. Then I would sneak past the blind one into the attic, remove all the mothballs and never speak of it again.

Problem solved. You're welcome.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

April 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM
321abc
I would just tell them the truth about the smell bothering you and it would really be helpful if they could remove the mothballs since you a pregnant.
Maybe there is an alternative? Maybe you could buy them some live traps and then fix up the hole that the squirrels are getting into. I know it's no fun to spend money on someone else's "problem" but if they are having trouble getting by it might make their year!

Also, if they fixed the gutter and no more squirrels can get in... Then they can't get out either. So the moth balls would be pointless.
April 9th, 2013, 04:14 AM
Veteran
I would totally offer to go over and clean their house but they have 3 kids about my age who live there with their own kids and their kids get really standoffish when we offer to do stuff. Last year my DH weed whacked their yard (after asking if they'd like some help) and then started to mow it and one of the kids came out and started to say stuff like "what, you don't think we can do this ourselves?!?"

It's a fine line...
April 9th, 2013, 04:14 AM
Veteran
I would totally offer to go over and clean their house but they have 3 kids about my age who live there with their own kids and their kids get really standoffish when we offer to do stuff. Last year my DH weed whacked their yard (after asking if they'd like some help) and then started to mow it and one of the kids came out and started to say stuff like "what, you don't think we can do this ourselves?!?"

It's a fine line...
April 9th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Hi! Lurking as I saw this posted as a hot topic. Moth balls are TOXIC!!! Many people are unaware of how bad they are for you.

Perhaps tell them you are highly allergic to mothballs and you are trying to figure out where they're coming from. They will probably dump them out and not feel attacked- people take things so personally! Good luck!
kimberlyw likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 08:14 AM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
Oh that is a tough one.. the smell would drive me insane! Anything smelly makes my head hurt.. I can't wear perfume or have candles in my house

Talking to old people about stuff like that is tough. But I wouldn't want to be breathing that in all day. Asking them about it may be the only solution.

OR could you get into their attic from yours? Like make a hole, sneak in and steal them and throw them away?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search