OT: What would you do with a bunch of corn tortillas?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By kimberlyw
  • 1 Post By Babybear4
  • 3 Post By WorkerBeeMama
  • 1 Post By Keakie
  • 1 Post By Babybear4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I bought some last week to make a southwest chicken soup, and still have a ton leftover. I'm not a fan of corn tortillas for quesadillas, tacos, etc. (prefer flour ones for that) but am trying to find something I can make with them to use them up. We had some really yummy fried corn tortilla dishes while we were in Mexico for our honeymoon, but I don't know what they were called or how I would find a recipe for something like that.

So, tell me... if you had 3/4 of a package of small corn tortillas what would you do with them?

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
April 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't like corn tortilla's for much either. The only thing I have had and liked was frying them up in a pan with some oil and topping with meat, cheese etc. its like a giant nacho chip. I *think* I might have had them in enchilada's-like a casserole with corn, meat and sauce cooked in the oven but I'd have to ask my Mom...its been a LONG time since I have had it!!

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
April 9th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This:

Crispy Fried Tacos with Salsa Verde Recipe — Pauladeen.com

It is the BEST mexican food recipe I have ever had homemade It takes some time to make it, but we have it at least twice a month - we love it that much! Whenever I make it we usually fry about 15 or so and still have some of the chicken meat leftover to freeze for a lunch later. The salsa verde is hands down the best I have ever had - probably because it is made fresh Also, I prefer to dip my fried taco (really it is more of a taquito) in cheese dip (2 cans of rotel tomatoes and 1 block of velveeta melted together).
Keakie likes this.

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
April 9th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Pineapple pork tacos! They are AMAZING.

You take pork loin, marinate it with lemon juice, smashed up garlic cloves, cilantro and chicken broth over night, then put it all in the crock pot the next morning.

Fry up some tortillas, put the meat, add cheese, completely drained crushed pineapple and cilantro.
Keakie likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 01:33 PM
321abc
You could make chicken enchiladas with them.
1 can of chicken
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 small can of green chilles
Onion to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of sour cream
2 cups of cheese.
Preheat oven to 350

Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl, then place a bit on each tortilla and place seam side down in a caserole dish, use the left over sauce mixture to cover the tortillas.
Cover and bake for 15 min or until warm
April 9th, 2013, 02:59 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ooh, ooh, scramble some eggs, put the tortillas over the stove fire and burn each side a little, then put the eggs in the tortilla like a taco or taquito and add some tabasco. I LOVE eating this for breakfast, I don't know why, but it is just so yummy and healthy to me.
321abc, Keakie and Maenfayne like this.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 9th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca0217 View Post
The only thing I have had and liked was frying them up in a pan with some oil and topping with meat, cheese etc. its like a giant nacho chip.
I think that's a tostada, which is exactly what I think I'm going to make. There was a great sale on pork roast this week, so I'm going to try carnitas-style tostadas with some refried beans and an attempt at the sort-of-coleslaw that goes on top. Hopefully it works out well!

All of the other suggestions sound freakin' amazing too, though. Definitely bookmarking this thread so I can come back to it for future meal plans. Thanks ladies!
Babybear4 likes this.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

April 9th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I freaking LOVE tostadas! They are seriously my favorite meal! My MIL makes them and they are always so delicious. She makes this tomato onion sauce to go over them, too. I think I have the recipe somewhere, I will look later this evening and post it if I can find it.
Keakie likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Oh, cool! I'd definitely be interested!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search