OT: any moms of toddlers with eczema?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By beckiethedoula
  • 1 Post By Anitha
  • 1 Post By 321abc
  • 1 Post By AIK112018

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2013, 09:36 AM
321abc
Just found out my 1 yr old has it and it wasn't terrible until this morning. Doc gave him an RX for cortisone and after 2 applications the patch on his face has spread and its worse. He doesn't want me to touch it to put another application of cortisone on it.
His doc suggested I stop using baby lotion and soap so we are now using Eucerine moisturizer and dove soap per his suggestions.

He's always had dry skin but he just recently started breaking out from it.
Any suggestions?
April 19th, 2013, 09:46 AM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
We use Aquaphor.

April 19th, 2013, 10:03 AM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If it is spreading I think his eczema is reacting due to food. Have you given new food, dairy? Just bathe him in lukewarm water no soaps no wipes sponge bathe to and blog to dry. My son has it bad if has yogurt dairy chocolate or certain soaps. I do this after a fees days it goes away
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

April 19th, 2013, 11:33 AM
321abc
The only new thing that he has been introduced to on the past 2 weeks is tomatoes
April 19th, 2013, 11:35 AM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both my oldest son and I have it. I use Johnson and Johnson head to toe body wash when I have flair ups because Dove dries me out really bad. Same with my son. I use Eucerin *Cream*, in the tub. Or coconut oil. The coconut oil honestly works the best. The RX creams I've been given always make things worse because I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to some of the other additives in them.
321abc and mommy2lilmen like this.

April 19th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I used to baby sit a little 1 yr old boy a long time back. He had eczema.His mom is a dermatologist and she always had me slather on Aquaphor on his problem areas. It definitely worked for him...
321abc likes this.

April 19th, 2013, 11:43 AM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hmmm tomatoes are highly allergic foods to,but I don't know if that causes exzema. Sorry your little boy has bad flair ups. My 2 year old does all the time and Im sure it will go into psoriasis as he gets older like his daddy.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

April 19th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Super Mommy
My 8 year old has had it for years and I use this product and you would never know she had it at all

https://simplyspatastic.myitworks.com/Shop/Product/448

April 19th, 2013, 12:23 PM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
Several years back a nurse practitioner recommended mixing equal parts Aquaphor with 1% hydrocortisone cream 3x per day for flare ups. This works really, really, well for us. Also, I would just bathe with the lukewarm water if you can get away with it. I think Dove soap is one of the worst, but I also think any kind of baby washes are terrible too. Also after bathing we use Vanicream. This is some great stuff! Since we've been using it (about 3 years) we rarely have flare ups. Maybe your little one is allergic to tomatoes?
April 19th, 2013, 12:54 PM
321abc
I'm going to avoid tomatoes and see if it clears up.
He's never had a reaction from pizza or pasta sauce.
He's just had fried green tomatoes 3 times with me in the past couple of weeks, last night included. And he woke up with a worse breakout
My3His1 likes this.
April 19th, 2013, 02:56 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hm... skye.. fried green tomatoes :-) yum..

oh yeah... back to the subject- my daughter is 14 and has had a rash on her face since she was born. She is really conscientous about it now. She is trying coconut oil, but she doesn't use it frequently enough for us to tell if it is working :-)... I think it may be dairy too. She was colicky as a baby and now she has been drinking alot of milk.

April 19th, 2013, 05:13 PM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son has had eczema since he was 3 months old. Cortisone cream works, but I've found that A&D ointment (clear kind) works just as well, sometimes even better!

oh my gosh now i want grilled tomatoes.... mmmmm!
321abc likes this.
April 19th, 2013, 06:29 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The doc gave us extra strength hydrocortisone. Maybe ask for the next dose up.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
April 19th, 2013, 06:35 PM
321abc
I believe what he gave us is 2% but I'm not certain
April 19th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Veteran
I have a weird allergy/intolerance thing going on with toatoes. I can have tomato sauces and such, but not very much and not all brands because I get itchy and terribly stomach pains. I can't even get ketchup on my skin or I will break out and blister. Food sensitivities can be strange things that behave in really weird ways.

I have a friend who had TERRIBLE eczema on her hands. It would blled and be painful for her to do anything. She tried a relief balm from a company called lemongrass spa and there was almost immediate improvement. her hands are still a little red and dry, but they are not cracked, bleeding and painful like they were before. (I want to note that I am NOT a lemongrass spa representative, so you don't have to worry about me trying to make money by selling the produc!)
DS ~ October 2007
April 20th, 2013, 07:29 PM
321abc
I went a day without applying the cortisone and the spot on his face is almost gone! He must be allergic to something in the cortisone cream.
I'm not sure it's eczema. I hate to second guess the doctor but it just seems like he would have had trouble with it before and no one in his family has it.

Time will tell

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search