Baby shower, & registry..

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This time is upon us ladies! It's about time to start planning baby showers, and figuring out what our themes are going to be, and setting up our registries....I think. When are we supposed to start doing this stuff? I know you can never plan too far in advance but as far as setting up a registry, when am I supposed to do that? My baby shower is going to be July 6th, yeah I know 4th of July weekend, but I don't care, I am more important, lol. Should I set up my registry at the beginning of May or at the end, because I'm not sure, and as far as the baby shower goes, I GOT THIS, haha! I love baby showers. My mom and Miah's godmother, and the MIL are supposed to be setting up my baby shower and everything but I already have everything planned out and I know exactly how I want it, but they can most definitely buy everything and set it up! I want everything to be perfect since this is my first baby shower, and I LOVE to plan, and decorate so it just seems right that I join in! Now mom was wanting to do it at Hacienda or something like section off half of Hacienda and do it, but I'm think more subtle like in a club house or something, but that would mean making our own food which wouldn't be a big deal, I just don't think Hacienda screams baby shower, ya know? Anyways I know I said a lot I just wanted to share! Oh and I for sure know what cake I am getting for the baby shower!

HERE IT IS:

I wont have the top tier of the cake or the monkey just the bottom two tiers with little baby shoes on top. I LOVE THIS CAKE.
AIK112018 likes this.

April 20th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
If you already have things you want to put on a registery why not just set one up now? It's not like you have to share it till later.
As for me, I might start avoiding baby shower posts as I haven't had one for any of my kids and I doubt I'll somehow get one for this baby. I love to read about other people's and go to them but I think I'm to emotional during pregnancy and this is one thing that always annoys me, that nobody even cares to give me one. Sorry I just went off there. Just wanted to let you know why i might not respond to any more.
April 20th, 2013, 02:33 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidijens1 View Post
If you already have things you want to put on a registery why not just set one up now? It's not like you have to share it till later.
As for me, I might start avoiding baby shower posts as I haven't had one for any of my kids and I doubt I'll somehow get one for this baby. I love to read about other people's and go to them but I think I'm to emotional during pregnancy and this is one thing that always annoys me, that nobody even cares to give me one. Sorry I just went off there. Just wanted to let you know why i might not respond to any more.
If it's any consolation:

My alcoholic crazy stepmother threw my first 2 "baby showers". They were really just an excuse for her to invite people to her house, get loaded, and tell everyone how much I suck as a human and parent.

I chose to throw my own "shower" for Emie. I called it the "Baby-Q" and told people not to bring gifts, just show up and be happy with us that we're pro-creating.... Ummmm... I can't even explain the kindness we were shown at that party, between the turn out and the gifts, I spent a good 75% of the time suppressing tears. I was overwhelmed.

Throw yourself a "Baby-Q". Do it.

Oh, to answer the original question:

You can do your registry when ever... As for the shower planning, I obviously suck at that stuff so your guess is better than mine!

April 20th, 2013, 05:53 PM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
My aunts are planning my shower! I don't know when it will be, hubster knows though. I'm assuming in August some time. My aunt Donna is the main planner, as far as I know, and she has good taste, and I trust her, so I'm not going to go all control freak and try to influence the turn out of decor or themes. LOL. In the meantime though, I have slowly started to research baby stuff and build our registry!

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

April 20th, 2013, 05:59 PM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Picture isnt showing up for me
April 20th, 2013, 06:11 PM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My registry is already done. lol! I am way too excited

Our baby shower will also be in July. Our theme is LUAU and we are hoping to have it by the lake, and then have everyone who wants to go camping afterword.

here is some pictures
April 20th, 2013, 07:58 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
I haven't started a registry yet.. freaks me out! Too much stuff.. I have to get organized first.

Our shower will be in late July probably.. before school starts back. One of my friends and a few of my moms friends said they want to do a shower. I have known the two ladies my whole life.. they have daughters close to my age.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
April 20th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know why he picture wont show up, it's not showing up anywhere. OH WELL, that has been my day..

April 20th, 2013, 08:33 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I won't be having a shower since this is #3. But I am doing a registry because I have a coupon to sign up for one and get a $10 gift card!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
April 20th, 2013, 10:58 PM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I probably won't have one either, but can't wait to see pics of everyone else's!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 20th, 2013, 11:10 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
The best advice I can give about baby showers is this:

Make it co-ed: Most baby showers involve a bunch of women sitting around cooing over layettes and playing lame shower games. Invite the guys and it turns into a WHOLE different kind of party. At my brother's shower, the men ended up on the porch smoking cigars, drinking whiskey and shouting at each other about who was going to make the best father. It was hilarious. At my first and only baby shower, the guys grilled massive turkey legs, dressed up as pirates and played Liar's dice until 2 AM.

Let there be alcohol: It makes for hilarious memories and it doesn't force people to be "pregnant" just because you are. My sister in law (a deaf education teacher) drank so much rum at my baby shower that she ended up telling the same story 5 times in a row, complete with VERY animated sign language and some parrot noises. We have her on tape. It's the best.

Scrap the typical baby shower games: No one wants to sniff a diaper and tell you what flavor baby food is in there. No one cares how much toilet paper you can fit around your belly. Get creative. Make it fun. My brother and his wife had a medieval theme for their baby shower, so they bought those little horse toys (you know... the ones with the heads on sticks that you ride?) and plastic lances. Then we all jousted in the backyard. It was ridiculous.

Tell people that presents are super optional: Most people will buy them anyway and you take the pressure off people that want to come, but really can't afford to buy a gift. Plus, you'll get WAY less unnecessary sh*t. My friends with no kids always bring the stupidest presents to baby showers. Like, how many blankets can one baby possibly need? When in doubt, get diapers, for chrissakes.

I know you said July 6th, but... : Don't do it on a holiday weekend. Less people will come, people will be secretly annoyed and it won't be as fun as it could be, I swear.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

April 20th, 2013, 11:14 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
I have seriously been thinking about having a coed shower. My DH actually showed interest in being there. I really didn't think he would want to go to a shower, but he does!

Thanks for the tips Brie!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
April 21st, 2013, 12:49 AM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a friend offer to throw me a shower with #5 I ended up being the one that bought everything, decorated everything, hosted everything and entertained everyone. We invited men and their kids to, and ugh what a chore it was to entertain everyone and not enjoy my own baby shower. I got the weirdest of looks that I was lieing about my due date cus I got so huge and that upset me I was embarrassed then my ex crashed my shower drunk cus he did not want me having a kid with someone else who wasn't him meanwhile he was resenting me for having 4 with him go figure. I havenet had one befor #5 and after and I nonchalantly asked my sisters to throw one and no one is, cus of other situations regarding this babys diagnosis. I want to throw my own but one sister is telling me how to do it so I am not going to bother. I don't like to be center of attention and if I do a registry no one gets from that anyways. This is my first girl and I want it to be special and I guess it being #8will be stupid to have my 2nd baby shower, Oh well. With #5 I had it july 25 cus I was due for him September 29. It was hot and miserable. This time I plan to do it end of June IF I do one on my own.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

April 21st, 2013, 06:53 AM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
No baby shower for me, since this is #6 for us. I had 2 showers with my first. One was a ladies shower only and we played all the dumb games. I really didn't enjoy it. The second one was a coed shower and it was so much better! No games and everyone just had a good time. Have fun planning ladies!
April 21st, 2013, 07:37 AM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I'm not due yet if we will have one. My friend offered to throw me a shower but we don't need too too much and if we buy a house, we may have a housewarming and I don't want people to have to buy twice. At the same time, showers are so fun and it's our first boy!

April 21st, 2013, 08:23 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
My mom will likely want to throw one. She's pretty easy going, so I think she'll be fine with the idea of having it be co-ed, not doing some of the silly games, etc. I just want everyone to come, celebrate and have a good time with us.

I've started a registry but it's mostly so that I can keep track of things we're looking at. It's private and not searchable, and I probably won't change that until closer to the shower date.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
April 21st, 2013, 08:27 AM
Super Mommy
This is number 4 so we are doing a baby q lol so much easier and im not into most shower games
beckiethedoula likes this.

April 21st, 2013, 08:29 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love the idea of a baby q. Do you do gifts? Or is it just a party?

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
April 21st, 2013, 08:34 AM
Super Mommy
I will register and share the info but say no need to bring gifts
beckiethedoula likes this.

April 21st, 2013, 09:33 AM
mommyof2boys0207's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIK112018 View Post
My registry is already done. lol! I am way too excited

Our baby shower will also be in July. Our theme is LUAU and we are hoping to have it by the lake, and then have everyone who wants to go camping afterword.

here is some pictures
I love this theme! Great choice and to have it by the lake and camp afterwards is perfect!
DD- Savannah - June 30th, 2011
DS- Jameson - September 18th, 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search