Convertible car seat?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By Babybear4
  • 3 Post By ValyntineG
  • 1 Post By babybatax2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2013, 08:55 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
BTDT moms.. what do you think of convertible car seats? Would it be better to get one of those, or get an infant seat, then get another one when they are bigger?

I was looking online at Babies-R-Us and wasn't sure which was the best. There are just too many to choose from

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
April 20th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I prefer the infant seat, since you can put baby into it before getting into the car, then you can just take the seat out and put it in the back of the cart at the store, or snap it into a stroller. This time, we will try to babywear more but I just always found it easy to let a sleeping baby stay in the seat and carry them around that way.

April 20th, 2013, 10:51 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
Oh thank you.. didn't even think about that. So convertible car seat pretty much just stay in the car, is that right?

I want to try to baby wear too.. but sometimes being able to keep her sleeping in a seat would be nice.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
April 20th, 2013, 10:52 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
I prefer the infant carseat for the same reason Shelley mentioned. It's so much easier for the first few months, especially since they sleep so much.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

April 21st, 2013, 07:12 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I babywore almost 100% of the time and only carried baby in in the bucket if she was sleeping, but I still go for the buckets anyway. Here is Houston it is HOT and the inside of the car is over 100 degrees most of the year. Being able to keep the bucket in the house so that it did not burn the baby was a really convenient thing. Same thing if you live somewhere very cold. Buckets kept in the house are room temperature.

April 21st, 2013, 07:35 AM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I'm finally just getting a convertible. All three of my kids used my daughter's infant seat and it was annoying to lug around. This time I insisted we spend a little but more and got a My Ride 65. I babywear so I think we'll be fine.

April 21st, 2013, 08:33 AM
Super Mommy
I like infant seat for at least first 6 months then convertible

April 21st, 2013, 08:33 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I prefer in baby seat first. It will be cold and winter and its much easier to put baby in the carseat with blankets then wrap them up take them outside, get them in the seat, but take theirs coats off. I am going to wait til next summer to use a convertible for baby.
H_Hplus1 likes this.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
April 21st, 2013, 08:34 AM
321abc
I agree with the infant seat. Much more convenient for me. Baby can sleep in it while I grocery shop instead of having to use the weird plastic ones that come on the shopping carts. When my son outgrew his infant seat we bought one that we could use rear facing or forward facing.
April 21st, 2013, 09:08 AM
Destiny
I use the convertible. I hated lugging around the infant seat, and even though it wakes up baby to take them out and put them in a wrap they're out again in under a minute.
Plus I always forgot to take it out when we got home. I'd say that there're different reasons for both. You'll have to weigh them for your own personal circumstances.

April 21st, 2013, 01:56 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm debating the same thing right now. I only really use the infant seat out of the car for the first 3-4 months and even then it's only occasionally. I prefer to wear the baby, too. I'm also thinking it'll save me money to just buy another Britax Boulevard and use it exclusively, until baby's in a booster, instead of buying 3-4 different seats over the next 5 years.

April 21st, 2013, 02:37 PM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a 3-in-1 car seat and I love it (and it doesn't expire for 10 years!) We use the bucket when they are tiny and then get another 3-n-1 that goes up too 100lbs so they only ever need the one seat

FYI 3-n-1s rear face for infants, forward face, and convert to a booster seat too!

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
April 21st, 2013, 04:39 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
ugh it is so hard for me to say. that carrier thing is such a pita, but at the same time its nice to have free hands to just pick up/put down if you need to esp if the weather is bad or the baby is asleep or whatever. we didn't transition our kids to a convertible until they were 9-10m old but i wouldn't be opposed to doing it sooner. we got a heck of a deal on our seat so i couldn't trade that. I feel like when baby is itty bitty as long as its nice i might try to baby wear more just because it will definitely give me 2 free hands to wrangle my other kiddos!

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
April 21st, 2013, 04:49 PM
Veteran
I can not stand bucket seats. I think they are SO annoying! They are obnoxious to carry around, they are NOT safe to put in shopping carts (unless you put them in the basket, then there is no room for merchandise), depending on your baby they might only last a couple months anyways. I always wore baby in a sling, even with my first when I had a bucket seat. Maybe I was just lucky, but both my babies stayed asleep when moving from sleeping in the carseat to the sling. Most of the time, if they weren't asleep in the car, they fell asleep in the sling anyways.

With my second, I went straight to a convertible seat. He used it until it expired when he turned 5. The carseat he has now will go from 5pt harness to high back booster to backless booster, so it will last until he's completely out of any type of seat.
DS ~ October 2007
April 21st, 2013, 05:06 PM
My kid who was 80% for height stayed in hers almost 18 months (She could still fit in it by weight!!!), and many of the kids I know do not only not stay asleep when being transferred, they don't go back to sleep once woken either. E sure never was going to go back down once she was up. Too much to see!!!

Oh, and restaurants. I am a babywearing evangelist, I wore my kid forever and have an extensive collection of carriers. But I have never found a way to comfortably eat while babywearing. I always secretly think people who claim to wear their babies in restaurants are lying, although I fully admit they might possess a secret I do not.

Now her brother will use the same one. Then when he needs a convertible, we'll give him her Myrides and get her Nautis. That's 5 seats for two kids birth through forever, with both cars outfitted. We could have done it in 3 seats if we were willing to switch the seats back and forth between cars.

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; April 21st, 2013 at 05:11 PM.
April 22nd, 2013, 04:52 AM
Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Oh, and restaurants. I am a babywearing evangelist, I wore my kid forever and have an extensive collection of carriers. But I have never found a way to comfortably eat while babywearing. I always secretly think people who claim to wear their babies in restaurants are lying, although I fully admit they might possess a secret I do not.
Back carry, and you either stand or sit hunched over.
Desperate times, desperate measures.

April 22nd, 2013, 07:36 AM
Ahh, we sit in booths generally. And she never let me sit when I was wearing. It was for walking or standing and swaying only. Thankfully she started sitting up pretty early and could do the highchair.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search