And now I'm going to whine. A lot.

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2013, 10:19 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
Please don't judge me.

Although, if you do, I suppose I'm basically fine with that. Whining is annoying. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to do it.

I am SO f*cking tired of feeling like crap. And most of it isn't pregnancy related, which makes it doubly obnoxious in my opinion. As far as fetus induced symptoms go, I have terrible heartburn and I get completely wiped out tired by about 1 PM every day. And I pretty much always have a headache. But you know... compared to my other two pregnancies, that's really not that bad. My morning sickness is gone... which I've never experienced and in the mornings, I have a ton of energy. I have 30 or so contractions throughout a normal day, give or take, so I'm still on pelvic rest and as much bed rest as I can manage. But I'm not particularly worried about it. I'm blessed with an amazing team of medical people that are monitoring my pregnancy closely and I trust them to keep my little Eisley baking.

HOWEVER...

I am sick of being sick. My ears hurt and itch SO F*CKING BAD. I made them check me for an ear infection, but... nothing. Maybe it's allergies? I don't know. I've never had seasonal allergies before, so I'm not sure why it would start now. I can't think of another reason.

My throat was steadily on the mend, but my husband baked brownies (gluten free!) tonight and I was SO excited. I had a few of them and BAM. My throat is swollen and messed up all over again. What. The. Hell???? Is it a coincidence? Or is it really just the f*cking chocolate? They had walnuts in them... but again, I've NEVER had a problem with this before. It got to the point where I couldn't swallow and was having trouble breathing. We almost went to the ER, but I took some benadryl and things opened up a bit. I keep thinking that I must have some sort of viral infection because none of this makes any sense.

D*mn it, I just want to be well. This is my last pregnancy and I'm trying really hard to just enjoy it.

RAWWWWWWWR @(#*&^!&*@^!)(@*)(~!&~*&!&!#)*#Q&Q

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

Last edited by ValyntineG; April 21st, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
April 21st, 2013, 10:37 PM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can't be allergic to chocolate...it isn't allowed...I think it is the 11th commandment . But seriously....that sucks! Have they ever done an allergy test on you? They just take blood now...no scratch test anymore.

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
April 22nd, 2013, 05:01 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Whine away! If you can't do it here, where else can you do it???

I'm sorry you are feeling like crap! That sucks regardless, but especially when being pregnant and trying to enjoy every minute of it.

I just wanted to say that it is quite possible (and sounds like it to me anyway) that you may be allergic to something...possibly nuts! It can happen from one day to the next! My husband ate chicken at least 5 nights a week. One night he ate it, he was fine. The next day he ate it, his throat closed up. That was about 5 years ago and he still can't eat chicken!

Anyway, just be aware of that because allergies are such a serious thing!

Hope you feel better soon!!! <HUGS>
April 22nd, 2013, 05:38 AM
Veteran
Pregnancy does weird things to a woman's body. You can develop or lose allergies while pregnant. I have developed a lovely allergy to tree pollen this pregnancy, and my tomato allergy/sensitivity is practically gone. I'm hoping the seasonal allergy goes away when I deliver, because it is really annoying. Even if it mean my tomato allergy/sensitivity comes back full force.

If you've narrowed it down to chocolate or walnuts, I'd avoid those until about 6 weeks postpartum when your allergies should return to normal, if they are going to.
DS ~ October 2007
April 22nd, 2013, 07:07 AM
No, I haven't done an allergy test. I haven't met the deductible for my insurance yet, so I doubt I could afford to pay for it out of pocket right now.

The whole thing is just so ridiculously dumb. I guess for now I'll just stay away from chocolate completely until I can figure out what the issue is. :/

Go there. Buy stuff.

April 22nd, 2013, 07:48 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Would your insurance at least cover the pinprick allergen test? You've had at least one documented allergic reaction to something unknown - do they still force you to take it out of your deductible when that's the case?

I'm sorry you're so miserable. That all sounds awful, and I hope you can figure out what's causing the reactions soon. Limiting chocolate might be best for the time being (although that still doesn't give you great answers because chocolate contains a lot of different ingredients so it kind of leaves the door open when it comes to which ingredient is causing the reaction) but I really hope it either stops or you get some more definite information ASAP.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
April 22nd, 2013, 11:44 AM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sorry you are having such a rough time... I wanted to express my concern over your reaction to the brownies. That definitely sounds like an allergic reaction to me- anaphalaxis (sp?) is very dangerous (allergies when your throat closes up)... I would definitely talk to your dr. about that and avoid walnuts for the time being? Trouble swallowing is so scary. I've had this too and was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis, where your throat has a reaction to certain foods. I still don't know exactly what causes it. I haven't had any reactions in a long time.

Really strange about your ears itching too? Maybe it's some how related. I hope you get some answers and some releif soon

April 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
My insurance sucks. They pretty much won't cover anything until I reach my deductible. I talked to my OB about it though, and they're going to try to order a test through their office so it can be billed to me.

I really don't know what it is. I just find it so weird that it would come out of nowhere, but I'm reading that pregnancy can do that sometimes. Seriously, though? I have enough issues without this drama. I feel like all I do is b*tch about feeling like crap.
Alpha_allie1010 likes this.

Go there. Buy stuff.

April 22nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Aaagh!! That sucks...allergies suck in general to develop a new one while pregnant just seems unfair! Hope you feel better. And yes avoid all baked goods and chocolate( I know its sinful to say that to a pregnant woman! ) & feel better mama!

April 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
Maybe it's all just pregnancy related. I have never in my life had any trouble with chocolate. Since I got pregnant if I have any at all it makes me sick as a dog! It literally puts me completely out of commission. WIERD! I know that as you get older sometimes you can become allergic to things you always ate before, but I really think it has something to do with being preggers.
April 22nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
TayAnd2Angels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValyntineG View Post
My insurance sucks. They pretty much won't cover anything until I reach my deductible. I talked to my OB about it though, and they're going to try to order a test through their office so it can be billed to me.
Your OB sounds really amazing. I'm sorry you are feeling so crappy My grandma was allergic to chocolate and I was always horrified by the thought. Does it happen when you eat regular chocolate, or was the brownie thing the first time you've reacted to chocolate?

April 22nd, 2013, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayAnd2Angels View Post
Does it happen when you eat regular chocolate, or was the brownie thing the first time you've reacted to chocolate?
I had a bad reaction to a chocolate bar last week as well. But a few days ago, I had a reese's peanut butter cup with no problems. I'm comparing the ingredient list on the brownies and the chocolate bar, but the things they have in common aren't typical allergens so I just don't know.

I said in my last post about this... Many types of chocolate have always aggravated my throat. If I have strep, for example, I can't eat it at all. It makes my throat burn. Always has. But I've NEVER had it swell up like this to the point that I can't swallow and have trouble breathing.

Benadryl is keeping the swelling down, but my throat aches and burns. I cut up some cherry tomatoes for Sebastian, ate one and the pain from the citric acid was practically radiating through my toes. But my husband says it doesn't look infected at all. I'm so confused.

Go there. Buy stuff.

April 22nd, 2013, 12:58 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
That sounds horrible.. feel free to whine! I would be.

I think the fact that that happened after I ate a brownie would just piss me off!

It does sound like you have an awesome OB. Hopefully they can figure out what it is, so it doesn't keep happening.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
April 22nd, 2013, 01:00 PM
TayAnd2Angels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValyntineG View Post
I had a bad reaction to a chocolate bar last week as well. But a few days ago, I had a reese's peanut butter cup with no problems. I'm comparing the ingredient list on the brownies and the chocolate bar, but the things they have in common aren't typical allergens so I just don't know.

I said in my last post about this... Many types of chocolate have always aggravated my throat. If I have strep, for example, I can't eat it at all. It makes my throat burn. Always has. But I've NEVER had it swell up like this to the point that I can't swallow and have trouble breathing.

Benadryl is keeping the swelling down, but my throat aches and burns. I cut up some cherry tomatoes for Sebastian, ate one and the pain from the citric acid was practically radiating through my toes. But my husband says it doesn't look infected at all. I'm so confused.
That sucks. It sounds like a minor allergy that you always have that is worse during pregnancy. What a crappy thing to be allergic to while pregnant with a girl. Sweets were my life when I was pregnant with both girls. Ugh. I'm sorry.
Keakie likes this.

April 22nd, 2013, 01:23 PM
Were there any nuts in the chocolate bar that caused the flare up a few weeks ago? It could be a nut allergy that's only triggered by specific nuts. My anaphylaxis allergy is to peanuts and I test allergic to a lesser degree with one other nut (I don't remember which one - it's either pecan or walnut) but am not technically allergic to any others. I used to eat almonds all the time before they found out about my allergy. I don't eat any of them now because they tend to be processed together and so the risk is sky high, but that's purely a cross contamination concern. My FIL is allergic to walnuts but can eat other nuts including peanuts without problems.

I'm not sure how ingredient lists differ with gluten free foods, either, but didn't you mention the chocolate bar was gluten free too? Are there any substitutions that are commonly used in GF food that could have been present in both the chocolate bar and the brownies?

It's probably not infected - just inflamed. Not that that makes it any more fun to deal with, but it probably just looks more flushed and swollen than usual as opposed to looking infected.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

April 22nd, 2013, 01:32 PM
The info for the chocolate bar says that there's a probability of it containing nuts but they're not technically one of the ingredients. I eat a LOT of nuts though. Pistachios, almonds, pecans... I love them.

And yeah, most gluten free things have similar ingredients. Xantham gum, Rice/almond coconut flour, Potato starch... things like that. But everything I eat that's not naturally gluten free has those same ingredients. Gluten free bread isn't a problem and I cook with rice flour all the time. So I don't think it's any of those.

Go there. Buy stuff.

April 22nd, 2013, 01:35 PM
That's so strange. I really hope your OB's office can run some allergy tests for you so you can get some answers.

April 22nd, 2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah, it's mostly just ridiculous. I think I'm more aggravated than worried LOL. I don't like it when things don't make reasonable sense. I'm an immediate-answer-and-solution kind of person and it annoys me to know end when I can't figure out the cause of a problem.

Go there. Buy stuff.

April 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My best friend became allergic to chocolate after having her second baby. unfortunately, allergies can come out of nowhere

I would wait til you meet your deductible and then get the allergy testing done.

Or you could do a test in your ob's office where you try a little bit of chocolate and see what happens. Just have benadryl on hand in case of a bad reaction.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 22nd, 2013, 10:37 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
As for the itchy ears I feel for you on that, my ears have been crazy itch since I got my bfp.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search