BTDT moms: transitioning into a toddler bed

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Anitha
  • 1 Post By Alpha_allie1010
  • 1 Post By L-SBB
  • 1 Post By stacyag

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2013, 09:39 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone have advice for transition from my bed to a toddler bed? Dakota is getting the boot! As I get bigger, it is not comfy to have a 3.5 year old there!!!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
April 22nd, 2013, 10:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I will be looking at these responses too Lekha is 4 and we ordered a twin bed for her which is due to arrive any day now...DH and I are still debating if we should put in in the Master bedroom with us or in her room!! Gosh how did it get this bad! She should be sleeping by herself by now
babybatax2 likes this.

Last edited by Anitha; April 22nd, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
April 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
321abc
Ill be watching for responses too. My 16 month old has been on his crib on his room since 6 months. He's starting to try to climb out though so I can't decide if I should convert it before the next baby comes or keep him on it until he succeeds in climbing out
April 22nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm watching, too! I have my son's mattress on my bedroom floor and he wakes up around 1 am and climbs in with me. He is SUCH a bedhog, though!

April 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You guys are no help

She has been punching and kicking in her sleep. It's horrible!!!!!! She needs to move it!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
April 22nd, 2013, 02:26 PM
bevyvuska's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to bevyvuska
My son got his big boy bed when he was abt 3. He went from crib to twin bed. He is too much of a bed hog to sleep all night with DH & I, so most of the time we read a story & he usually falls asleep with me. Then a few hours later when DH comes to bed he gets him up, has him go potty then climb into his own bed. This works well for us. Baby I know will either sleep in the bassinet next to our bed or with us, as that is what we did with our son & worked well.

April 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would make the transition as exciting as possible, letting the child pick out the sheets, etc... night light if needed.... oh, "what a big boy/girl you are for sleeping in such a big bed!!".

I've always transitioned my children into their own beds at a young age so they don't form this habit. My 4 yr old has been the only one to wake up in the middle of the night and climb in the bed with us- which was no problem- but, many times DH would put her back in her own bed once she fell asleep. She hasn't done this in a long time though. She stopped probably right before she turned 4.

April 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
321abc
If you decided to make the transition do it before baby comes. Here's a link
http://www.parents.com/toddlers-pres...08pttBigKidBed
April 22nd, 2013, 09:05 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
i'm probably not helpful b/c we transitioned our son at 16.5m. He never slept in a crib, he was getting out of the pnp by a year...it was kind of a nightmare and he slept HORRIBLY, so once emily was born and he was the one waking her up, he got the boot. he had a gorgeous nursery that was basically used as storage. lol we put him in his toddler bed and shut the door. the first few nights we went in there when he woke up. then we stopped and we'd find him awake in front of his door in the morning for a while then he was sleeping great. i think we practiced with naps for a few days first.
we're going through sort of a regression now. he can get out of his room and he does...ugh. so when i figure that out i might be more helpful.

gah i feel so bad now looking back on it. he was a baby. it would def be easier on me with an older toddler...well mentally. you're going to have a challenge i'm sure

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
April 23rd, 2013, 06:18 AM
Veteran
We are going through this right now too. My 19 month old was still sleeping in her crib in our bedroom. Well, she has to move in with big sister (age 9) before baby comes in Sept. New baby will be in our room in the crib. We moved her to the new room and got her a toddler bed. Did naps for a week which worked ok. She was already asleep when I laid her down. Then we tried sleeping through the night in the toddler bed. She screamed. Hated it. We put a baby gate on the doorway so she couldn't escape. So we decided she needed to get used to the new room. We moved the crib into her sister's room. She cried herself to sleep the first few nights but is now sleeping great in the new room in her crib. I plan on letting her continue to sleep in the crib in the new room until July when we will transition back to the toddler bed. Hopefully all goes well. It's hard b/c the kids are on the first floor and our master is on the second floor.

April 23rd, 2013, 08:22 AM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We moved my daughter to a toddler bed right at 2. We took her mattress out of her crib and laid it on the floor for 3 days and she woke up on it every day so we converted her crib to the toddler version. Then at 2.5 we got her a full size bed. Honestly...we had zero issues. She was old enough to know she needed to stay in her bed but she wasn't sleeping in our bed and was used to falling asleep in her room alone. She stayed in our room till 6 months in the bassinet park of the pack n play and then moved to her own room. Sometimes we will lay her down and she will get up and get a book and get back into bed and "read" it but as long as she is quiet and in her bed we just let her do it. She will fall asleep in a few mins and just sleep with like 3 books lol.
Anitha likes this.

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
April 23rd, 2013, 08:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh Allie !! How lucky you are. When we tried to put DD to sleep by herself at 6 months, she just screamed her head off and I tried the CIO method for exactly 8 excruciating minutes, before i went to get her. All our attempts after that to get her to sleep by herself have been failures I really really hope it works out this time!

April 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We made sure to lay DD down while awake from day one as much as week could off of a recommendation from my sister (who has 4 kids) and I am glad we did...sometimes she would fuss for a few min but not often. She would fall asleep while nursing but we would wake her up when we went to lay her down. Even now at almost three when we put her down for the night she we read our books, sing our song, and say prayer and just walk out of the rood and she just say "night night....love you" and that is it...no kicking screaming or tantrums....

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
April 23rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_allie1010 View Post
We made sure to lay DD down while awake from day one as much as week could off of a recommendation from my sister (who has 4 kids) and I am glad we did...sometimes she would fuss for a few min but not often. She would fall asleep while nursing but we would wake her up when we went to lay her down. Even now at almost three when we put her down for the night she we read our books, sing our song, and say prayer and just walk out of the rood and she just say "night night....love you" and that is it...no kicking screaming or tantrums....
I did that with my son, also but he is a VERY high maintenance child and for some reason, all of the steps we took to help him to be a good sleeper/independent completely backfired on us at some point or another and now...well now we're stuck and I have no idea what to do. Kid is STUBBORN and won't budge on what he wants.

April 23rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
yeah i'm convinced with some kids you can do it all right and they're still difficult. my son has slept great for like maybe 8 weeks of his life. As a baby he fought sleep, didn't sttn at all until way past a year, then regressed before i had the baby and fought us. we had to force him into his room...he got it until a few weeks or so ago and now he's waking up agian a few times a week. its MISERABLE. he would cry forever, cio was our only option so i had to just listen to him scream til he'd wear himself out. emily on the other hand is a peach. you lay her down and 97% of the time she doesn't fight it. as infants tyler would be up for 2 hours at a time at night, emily went right back down without a fight...i'm just HOPING this baby is like her! i can't handle doing what i did with him all over again. i was completely non functional until like 10am with him b/c his nights were so screwed up.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
April 23rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
We moved Savannah to her "big girl" bed (twin size) not long after she turned 2 and we made a big deal out of it by repainting her nursery to her favorite color (purple) and letting her pick out the sheets for her bed. She adjusted really well, and has a lot of fun picking out her bedtime book & having us read to her in her bed before lights out.

Good luck with the migration - we still will sometimes have her in bed with us if she wakes up from a nightmare in middle of the night, but I hear you on it gets to be a big challenge for us pregnant with little one wiggling & kicking next to you (and in you LOL). KUP on how it goes!
Alpha_allie1010 likes this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 23rd, 2013, 11:20 AM
Super Mommy
I'm no help... i transitioned my son to a big boy bed ( a full size) just before he was 3 since i needed the crib for #2

for weeks i told him that since he was getting to be such a big boy he would get a big boy bed when he was ready. I reiterated the rules of the big boy bed. You may not come out until mommy or daddy come to get you. You can be awake in your bed but you may not come out. He helped pick out his bedding and was really excited for his airplanes.

He was so excited about his new bed, being BIG, and really understood our expectations. ( it helps that he is a "rules" kid ).

he tried a few nights (well after we transitioned him) to test us and try to get out of his bed a few times. He saw the wrath of mommy and never did it again

i'm already telling DD that when she is big she gets a big girl bed with a pillow b/c i need her crib for #3 she couldn't give two sh*ts about rules, so this will be interesting....
Alpha_allie1010 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search