Tooth extraction??

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaLaurie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 07:47 AM
321abc
I really need a top molar pulled. I've had issues with it for years. It's been filled till there's nothing left to fill and now the little bit of tooth that was left had just fallen away. It should have been pulled ages ago but that dentist insisted I needed that tooth. Anyway I went to the dentist about it right before I got pregnant and he said he needed to refer me to an oral surgeon. I'm not sure if that was because I need all my wisdom teeth out as well or why. (They are a mess, either partially erupted or came in side ways. I hope these missing teeth don't mess with the results of 3 years of braces) anyway, my mom asked her oral surgeon at an appointment about the specific tooth that needed to be pulled and he said he would do it with local anesthestetic but he would not touch my wisdom teeth until after I deliver and he wanted to personally speak to my doctor before he takes that molar out. I know I should have handled it before I got pregnant but I got pregnant shortly after seeing the dentist and we didn't have the money at the time anyway. The tooth is becoming an issue, the gum area around that tooth bleeds every time a brush my teeth. It doesn't hurt unless I'm brushing it roughly or picking food out with a tooth pick. I don't think it is infected. But, I most certainly don't want it to become infected. I plan to speak to my OB about it on Thursday.
As anyone else had an extraction while pregnant??
April 30th, 2013, 08:23 AM
321abc
I actually just called the most recommended dentist in town and they said in most cases they will not pull a tooth unless its infected during pregnancy, but that I could ask my doctor about it and if he gave permission the dentist may do it. I don't think it's infected, its not throbbing or keeping me up at night, its just annoying. If its safer to wait I most definitely will.
April 30th, 2013, 10:01 AM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
I had 2 teeth extracted in March. The top molar in the back that had a filling in it broke off and I never got around to getting that fixed. I knew I should have taken care of it before I got pregnant, but I figured I'd just wait until after the baby was born since it wasn't bothering me at the time. Of course, it had to start bothering me pretty much right after I got pregnant, and I waited it out as long as I could. I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst tooth pounding pain, was the most awful pain I have EVER felt. That was the last straw for me, and I had to have it out. My wisdom teeth are fully erupted and I had to have one out along with the bad tooth because the roots were all grown together. My ob told me not to hesitate at all to have dental work done while pregnant. She said there is no good reason not to, and that a tooth infection would be much worse for the baby than just having it out. They have meds that are safe. I did a lot of research online and it turns out lots of people have had extractions while prego and baby was just fine. Definitely talk to your ob and then just let your dentist know you're pregnant. Good luck!
321abc likes this.
April 30th, 2013, 10:19 AM
321abc
Thanks! I really think I'd rather have it out now so if its hurting badly afterwards I don't have a newborn to nurse. Maybe my OB will say go for it!
May 3rd, 2013, 05:28 AM
Veteran
My mum had this issue when pregnant with my brother and ended up having it out because if it ended up cracking and getting infected then it could mean real trouble. I hope you're doing ok!
May 3rd, 2013, 07:16 AM
321abc
It's not infected. My OB said to leave it up to the dentist but that as long as it wasn't infected it would be ok to wait

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search