Should I get the Moby Wrap?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Keakie
  • 1 Post By jensma
  • 2 Post By breathing for two
  • 1 Post By MamaLaurie
  • 1 Post By kelbert

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
I've really been debating if I should get one or not. I have a homemade sling that I just never really liked. It always seemed too big or something. I have a regular baby carrier that I barely used as well. I'm not much for contraptions I guess. I won't be going out much after the baby is born, but I do have 5 kids that I homeschool and have to take care of. Most of my babies want to be held all the time and it makes it really hard to get anything done. How convenient is the moby wrap for nursing and doing household stuff? How much of a contraption is it to get into?
April 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
No BTDT, obviously, but I'm planning on getting one (or something similar - I'm comparing to the Boba wrap and a couple of other brands right now). My understanding is that even if you don't go out very much, it's nice to have the option to carry the baby around the house but still be fairly hands-free. I have a few friends who have used/are using Moby wraps and they're happy with them, so I'm feeling optimistic about it, personally.

A back carry would give you even more freedom to use your hands to clean, cook, eat, fold laundry, etc. but I'm fairly sure you can't use the Moby or anything similar for that - you would need some kind of SSC or a woven wrap. SSCs are relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to use, from what I can tell, while woven wraps run a lot more expensive and look a lot more complicated - that said, there are a lot of women who adore their woven wraps so it's all a matter of preference, I'm sure. An experienced mama can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm also fairly sure most babywearing mamas aren't comfortable using back carries for newborns, so that would be more of an option once the baby is a little bigger.

That's my plan, anyway - a Moby wrap for the teeny, tiny newborn stage and an SSC of some kind (still comparing different types and brands) for when they're a little bigger. Now I just have to hope that the baby is agreeable to being worn.

Looking forward to hearing from the BTDT mommies!
AIK112018 likes this.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
April 30th, 2013, 12:27 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
well if you're not one for contraptions moby may not be for you, as it does take some practice to learn to use. my only real complaint with mine is that its only cool here for a few months so i will be using mine with this baby but it wasn't really very practical with my last as she was born in an unusually warm february. it'll probably be too hot here to use it until baby is 2 months or so though. i have a babyhawk i plan on using as well. i bought it when my daughter was about 9m so i'm anxious to use it with a smaller baby. it is super snuggly though and i like the way it holds my babies, its just a lot of fabric and it took me until my son was 5m before i decided i was ready to tackle it. at that point i wished i had though.

If you're on the fence you can buy, i think its 2.5or 3yd, of jersey fabric at your local fabric store much cheaper and its essentially the same thing and will make 2 wraps.
Alpha_allie1010 likes this.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
April 30th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I am in love with the idea of wearing the baby, but I always end up just carrying them around. I like the idea of trying to make one, so we'll see. I don't mind buying one either, it seems like they aren't hard to get rid of if things don't work out. I have friends who swear by their slings as just being the best thing ever. Here I am on my sixth baby and I feel, I don't know, like I should be more coordinated or something?
April 30th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Destiny
I have and love my moby wrap. It's hard to get down, but once you're used to it you can wrap you and baby up like it's nothing.
The only things I didn't like about was that it was hot (especially with my July baby) and my kids stretched the weight limit on it pretty quickly (I have chunky babies, it technically has a higher weight limit, but the fabric stretches and bunches around 17 lbs and needs to be constantly readjusted). But it was incredibly convenient, especially with my high-needs toddler making trouble everywhere she goes, and it's pretty comfortable.

I have a moby and a new ring sling for infancy, a mei tai that works well starting around 5-6 months and an Ergo for when that gets outgrown (still using it with both of my older littles). I want to buy a woven wrap for the gap between moby (around 3-5 months) and mei tai, but I guess I'll see.
If you have a lot of questions some of the ladies on the attachment parenting board really know their babywearing, so you could try there
Keakie and MamaLaurie like this.

April 30th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Regular
I loved the Moby wrap for the newborn stage - it was great to put him in it and vacuum, clean the house, do dishes, etc. Once he got a little bigger it was hard to get him to comfortably stay in it. I just just never could get the hang of wrapping him up tight enough.
April 30th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Super Mommy
I have a carrier but didn't get it unitll DS was almost 3 months old. I only ended up wearing him for a month or two because he got really heavy (chunky monkey was 16 lbs at 4 months).

This time around, I am going to make my own moby-like wrap by just buying the same type of fabric ( my mom who sews has aleady investigated this by checkingout the moby in a store)and surging the edges. I feel like the wrap is going to be a better alternative for the newborn stage then the carrier...especially because I have a very active toddler who likes to explore.
May 1st, 2013, 06:46 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I like my Moby wrap. I like that I can still use it for my toddlers who are 22 and 27 pounds. I just carry them on my hip now. I could never breastfeed in it, mostly because my boobs were enormous. I am a chubby mommy and it fits fine. Word of advice do not buy black it shows every piece of lint and spit up Mark.

May 1st, 2013, 08:52 AM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I'm the oddball in my babywearing group because I actually don't like wraps. I just gave my Moby to a friend today haha.

May 1st, 2013, 05:12 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFantasticFour View Post
I'm the oddball in my babywearing group because I actually don't like wraps. I just gave my Moby to a friend today haha.
Is there a reason you didn't like it? I am curious as I want to make an informed decision about getting one. thanks!
May 1st, 2013, 06:17 PM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have one but my sister did and she loved it for the nb stage but not after. She said it stretched out too much after a few months to work very well for her. I plan to get a Boba carrier

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
May 2nd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_allie1010 View Post
I plan to get a Boba carrier
Mmmm, I'll have to take a look at one of those.
Alpha_allie1010 likes this.
May 2nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
AIK112018's Avatar Elizabeth
I agree on the Boba wrap. I have a store near me that sells them, and she showed me the difference between the boba and the moby. I REALLY like the boba wrap. She said once I have the baby to come back in and she will show me how to use it. Plus, I can nurse in it hands free so that helps me a lot since I have two other children. The extra fabric in the moby wrap just doesnt appeal to me at all.

I was thinking about the k'tan as well but the fabric in that compared to the boba is not as stretchy so its good for when the baby grows and it seems more breathable too.

I also want to add the lady who showed me the boba wrap said that they stretch out but they are easy to shrink back in the wash.
May 2nd, 2013, 05:33 PM
Super Mommy
Can some one tell me the difference between the moby and the boba? I just went to the boba site but because I live in canada its not really letting me ready any features etc.

thanks!
May 2nd, 2013, 05:47 PM
It's my understanding that the biggest differences are 1) the Boba is a little smaller and the material is a little lighter and softer than the Moby and 2) the Boba contains spandex (the Moby doesn't) so it's got a little more stretch.

If you google "boba vs moby wrap", it should pull up a few different blog reviews where different mamas compared them.

Last edited by Keakie; May 2nd, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
May 2nd, 2013, 05:50 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
I have been wondering about wraps too.. glad to hear all the input. I would like to know the difference between the moby and the boba too.

^Posted at the same time.. haha!
Keakie likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
May 2nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
THis is totally off topic but I joined a "baby wearing b/s/t" group on Facebook and HOLY CRAP!!!! There are mommies spending $350 on wraps!!! USED! I am so missing something!

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
May 2nd, 2013, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_allie1010 View Post
THis is totally off topic but I joined a "baby wearing b/s/t" group on Facebook and HOLY CRAP!!!! There are mommies spending $350 on wraps!!! USED! I am so missing something!
I think I'm in that group too - I joined it looking for things like wraps and mei teis... and it's all HUGELY expensive woven wraps. Total craziness! I can't believe it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search