baby clothes!

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my first little one, but I am quite aware that newborns grow out of newborn clothing pretty quick. BTDT moms: Just a round about guess, how many newborn outfits do you think she would need? & since we're due in September should I get half Summer clothes and then the rest Winter, because they are only going to be Summer babies for a couple of months, and then for about 5 months they will need to be bundled up. I just wanted a little guess on what I should get, and how much..

May 1st, 2013, 06:06 PM
Veteran
It really just depends on the size of your baby when she's born. My babies were under 7 pounds, but I know some people who's babies never even fit in newborn clothes.
DS ~ October 2007
May 1st, 2013, 06:12 PM
Super Mommy
Depends on the size of baby unfortunately... my DS never fit into newborn and he was 8 and a half pounds. My BFF's sons were around 7 pounds and the 0-3 months were way too big for about a month. I would have some newborn sleepers and some 0-3 months just in case.

*Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!*
06/12 11/12

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 1st, 2013, 06:12 PM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Karlee was in hers for a while cuz she was a slow grower. She was born at 8lbs 6oz. honestly tiny babies can't regulate their body temperature very well yet so they tend to need to be bundled more than you think.

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
May 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
Great question! I was wondering this myself. One of my friends gave me a TON of hand me downs.. so I shouldn't have to buy a whole lot.

BUT I am going to want to.. I can't wait to buy little girl clothes

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
May 1st, 2013, 06:23 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
being its your first and you can just put the clothes away if needed for the next one, you could get 5-7 newborn and 5-7 0-3 just in case. I would get long sleeve sleepers, cotton, and you could get some that open feet. Don't get the fleece kind cus she may over heat. babies, newborns heat runs out their head, so you will need to keep her warmer than you think, unless it was July. For starters my recommendations are enough for 1 outfit a day unless needed. You can always go and get more if she needs once shes born. My babies ranged from 6 11-8 8 in weight . My 6th son was in preemie clothes for the first few weeks of life, yes he was almost 7 pounds but was short. my 5th who was almost 9 pounds barely fit newborn diapers LOL and fit newborn for a few weeks and jumped to 3 months. He was chunky. I did not expect my 6th to be that short. so to have been in preemie was a shocker to say the least. My 7th son was in newborn for a little over a month and stayed in 0-3 for another month then jumped to 3-6..so it really does vary. This one I think she will be in preemie also.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

May 2nd, 2013, 05:13 AM
Veteran
Also, it depends on how often you want to do laundry! hahaha!

I would get maybe 5 newborn outfits and the rest 0-3 months since you know your baby will fit in those. If you are having a baby shower, people LOOOOOVE to buy newborn clothes, so I'd wait until after that to see what you need.
DS ~ October 2007
May 2nd, 2013, 05:28 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kid was 7 lbs. 12 oz (50th percentile) and I only had maybe 3 or 4 newborn outfits. I took the advice of seasoned moms and only bought 0-3 stuff and it was good advice. She stayed very tiny and was in those 0-3 months clothes until almost 6 months old.

May 2nd, 2013, 06:24 AM
Super Mommy
My kids never fit into newborn sized anything. They were both 9.5 pounds.

If you can buy from places like Kohl's, Buy Buy Baby, Target then get whatever you want....you can return there forever with the receipt

My kids were born mid october in NJ. They spent the first few weeks in the cotton onesies before moving up to fleece ones. I had about 7-10 of them. One of my kids was a spitter and the other an up the back pooper....they went throught 2-4 changes a day and I did laundry all the time.
May 2nd, 2013, 06:26 AM
Thank you ladies so much, I didn't want to buy clothes she will never wear so ill let people know to get me a variety of newborn and 0-3 for baby shower.

May 2nd, 2013, 05:44 PM
Super Mommy
I would have maybe 10ish newborn sleepers if you know the gender.

we were on team green with DS and Ihad about 4-5 outfits/sleepers in the newborn size and it wasn't enough..I honestly did a load of his laundry everday. DS was in newborn for about 6 weeks because he was 6.5 lbs and preterm. I sent my MIL to the store to buy more clothes a couple days after we got home because i was so tired of every sleeper being dirty.

Just don't take the tags off and have your mom or someone who will be around to either a) wash them or b) return them once the baby is here and you have an idea of what size you need. THis is except of course the going home outfit!

Also, I would focus on sleepers and undershirts etc. I wouldn't buy too many of the super cute little outfits in the newborn stage because you hardly go anywhere because that would involve showering and packing the 100 things you need. Save the super cute adorable outfits for a bigger size when you actually feel human and being part of society again.

thats just my thought
TnPhotoMama81 likes this.
May 2nd, 2013, 09:55 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Here September is temperamental temperature wise... last year it was over 100 until the 7th. On the 13th I was rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night dragging my kids out in the first cold snap.

I take a layered approach. Onesies and FOOTED sleepers. If it is hot hot a onesie, if it is regular a FOOTED sleeper, if it is cold the onsies and the footed sleeper.

Rule of thumb baby wears one more layer than you, I am laying in bed in pjs with a blanket. My new born would be wearing onsies, socks, hat, then FOOTED sleeper, then blanket style item (swaddled, blanket sleeper, sleep sack)

Keeping track of socks sucks. I recommend waiting until they wear shoes to go down that rabbit hole, I used footed sleepers, robeeze boots, and tights to avoid socks. Yes tights on boys. I avoid pretty socks like the plague. Seriously they do not stay on and one always eats the other, some times right off your babies foot.

My babies have ranged from 7 lbs 8oz to 8lbs 7oz most babies lose weight. My first did not regain her birth weight until she was six weeks old. Breastfed babies usually lose more weight that formula fed babies. Any ways I have six nice new born outfits for her, I bought one each week to take her picture. Most of the daily wear stuff, onsies and sleepers your baby can wear big but not small.

For my fifth baby, I am buying him a new new born size sleeper because he will be induced nine days before his due date I guess he will be 7lbs 10oz he has enough hand me downs which I have not sort yet to know what he needs.

If you are buying practical clothing, always go for a zipper over snaps. Seriously in the store nine snaps send reasonable but at 4am with two 15 minute cat naps those snaps are not going to match, or even a well rested husband can be stymied. Plus zippers don't gape and expose a piece of tender thigh meat.

If you cloth diaper your baby will size up faster too. They call it fluffy butt for a reason!

May 3rd, 2013, 06:31 AM
I have the exact opposite opinion on almost everything! Lol. I won't buy or use a single piece of baby clothing ever if it has zippers or feet. And you are 100% right about the socks as any mom knows, but that just means I buy a really cheap kind and lots of them. Not that we will put socks on a kid here until December anyway...

My kid lived in the long gowns with the elastic bottoms for a while. The next one will too. Didn't even need socks because of the length (born in July), and the next one probably won't either. There is NO easier way to have nighttime diaper changes, since you don't have to undo/do anything. LOVE them. My BFF hated them though and kept her newborn in a onesie and socks 100% of the time. You never know what your sweet spot will be.

May 3rd, 2013, 10:00 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
its true. i wouldnt' get much i'll tell you that. My first was so teeny we had to go and buy him smaller onesies, only the target carters line was skinny enough and long enough. my daughter was 7lb and she fit in newborn clothes for a couple of weeks. i looooooved her nb stuff but i would say maybe 10-15 outfits is more than enough and you're really jsut staying home then anyway so onesies/sleepers are perfect for lounging. maybe do onesies and pants? i know you'll probably want some cute outfits but i definitely wouldn't get many.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
May 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
wow, I never would have thought about it like that. I honestly would have went out and bought a bunch of cute baby clothes, and socks and stuff not even knowing. & I didn't even think about the fact that I will be staying in most of the time, lol. Thank you all for your advice and knowledge on baby clothes!

May 3rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
i'll ditto jensma in less is more until baby's here and you have better sense of what you like (and dislike) clothing wise. We bought almost nothing newborn size because from about 36 wks on Dr was so worried about how big I (and she via u/s) was measuring, so I totally expected a huge baby...turns out she wasn't huge (7lbs14oz) but not small either, and yet they curl up so tiny even the newborn outfits looked gigantic on her at first.

I loved zippy or snappy one piece sleepers for day (she was born in late Nov, so it was cold) and sleep sacks for night...but you may find you like something else entirely. Try one of a few different types of styles and then after a week or two go buy a bunch more of what you liked the best.

In Savannah's case, she grew unbelievably quickly...so by 3 months was in 6-9 month clothes and so on (continues to this day, she's currently a size 5 LOL), so also be prepared for the opposite where suddenly you're having to replace clothes very quickly if baby is on the high end of the growth chart (aka don't spend a lot on expensive clothes)

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Last edited by L-SBB; May 3rd, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
May 3rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlsshp9 View Post
wow, I never would have thought about it like that. I honestly would have went out and bought a bunch of cute baby clothes, and socks and stuff not even knowing. & I didn't even think about the fact that I will be staying in most of the time, lol. Thank you all for your advice and knowledge on baby clothes!
This REALLY depends on your personality. I had a really terrible recovery, but I still couldn't wait to be out of the house. We got out nearly every day. The question is are you a homebody or a goer? My mental health suffers if I stay home two days in a row. It's too lonely. My DD got TONS of wear out of her adorable little dresses paired with matching cloth diapers!

May 3rd, 2013, 05:52 PM
Super Mommy
I actually preferred the snappy sleepers over the zippered ones because if the sleeper wasn't dirty, i didn't have to completely undress the baby to change him...only have to expose the diaper region and below.

go with undershirts that snap instead of going over the head....it's tricky AND messy to get a poop covered undershirt over a baby's head.
May 3rd, 2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My daughter was in newborn for quite a while but DS was only in them for about a week or two. I love the gowns for sleeping and being at home, they do make diaper changes easy but I HATE the way they slide up. I rarely use socks for my babies.

For me personally, I avoid snapping sleepers as much as I can. I hate them. I am able to just pull the feet out of zippered ones for diaper changes and it makes my life so much easier. As far as outfits, I wouldn't get too many in NB size. I would stick to onesies, gowns and sleepers.

For DD, 0-3 lasted us until 6-9 months depending on the brand. It only lasted us a couple of months with DS, with the exception of Carter's onesies, so we needed more 3-6 and 6-9 than anything else. With DD, we needed 0-3 and plain 3 months the most.

May 3rd, 2013, 08:16 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm no help. The girls wore preemie clothes for 2 months, then newborn for 5 months! We got our monies worth!!
Happy Song likes this.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search