Job question.. need advice!

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By 321abc
  • 1 Post By 321abc
  • 2 Post By Anitha
  • 1 Post By justmcurious
  • 1 Post By Keakie
  • 1 Post By SaraSara

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
Ok.. so I have a job question and would love y'alls suggestions!

Right now I teach at a school in a not so great area. The kids can be pretty bad, which would be tolerable if we had better discipline. This will be my 5th year at this school. So while there are issues, I have learned to deal with them. I teach art and pretty much do my own thing because I am the only art teacher.

I have been wanting to move districts for a while now. I was so close to getting a new one last year, but since I am still under contract I missed out I was already offered one here for the next 2 years so I know I am covered.

Here is my dilemma.

A district I would LOVE to teach at will have 2 openings. If I were to apply and get the job I would lose ALL of my time off.

If I stay here I get the disability I have been paying into, which will cover 6 weeks and I can use FMLA, which is 12 weeks off. So 6 weeks will be paid, and the other 6 we will have to save up.

I just can't see LOSING all of that time! If I am at a new school pregnancy is a "pre-existing condition" and disability won't cover it. And you have to be at a job a year to get FMLA. If I stay here I plan on looking for a new job the NEXT year. I have more certifications now so it won't be as hard.. I have Art EC-12 and Generalist EC-6

So what would you do?

Option 1: Stay where I am.. get the time off. Wait and look for a new job NEXT year. (12 weeks off)

Option 2: Go to a better district.. have my paid sick days (10ish) (possibly 6 weeks no pay.. Skye helped me out )

We have pretty much decided, but I would just like your input. Especially from BTDT moms!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!

Last edited by kelbert; May 2nd, 2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: derp
May 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
321abc
I thought it was a law for all employers to give you 6 weeks maternity leave but they are not required to pay you during that time. Maybe that's just Texas.
As a mother, i think you will want to spend more than 10 days with the baby, another thing to consider is that daycares don't accept babies until they are 6 weeks old. At least not in my area and after you use up the 10 days for your maternity leave will you be able to take off to take baby to dr appointments?
Momma's can make anything work so if you choose to switch jobs it will work out!

I think if I were in your situation I would wait it out.
Best of luck with your decision
Alpha_allie1010 and kelbert like this.
May 2nd, 2013, 12:18 PM
You may be right about that.. if I did get the 6 weeks it definitely would be without pay. I would just have to use up my sick days first.

So I guess it would be 6 weeks compared to 12.

Oh this decision is tough! Thanks for the advice!

My Art Page!
May 2nd, 2013, 12:43 PM
Ok I just looked it up. I don't think Texas has any coverage other than FMLA. And to use FMLA you have to be with that employer for a YEAR before you can use it.

So new job.. no FMLA. So I am not even sure I could get the 6 weeks.

My Art Page!
May 2nd, 2013, 12:46 PM
321abc
Another thing to consider is whether or not your doctor will release you to go back to work after 10 days. My doctor doesn't release his patients until 6 weeks usually and that's with a non complicated vaginal delivery. It could be different if you were to end up with a c section. Lets hope that doesn't happen!
I'm sure you at weighing your options and only you can make this decision, you're the mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbert View Post
Ok I just looked it up. I don't think Texas has any coverage other than FMLA. And to use FMLA you have to be with that employer for a YEAR before you can use it.

I googled it too! I had no idea, I had always heard that it was a state law but I was definitely misinformed. That stinks!
kelbert likes this.
May 2nd, 2013, 01:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd stick it out. In my experience after having a baby there are lots of occasions where you might need to come in late, leave early, take an unexpected day off etc. etc. It helps if you are in a work environment that you have alsready established credibility, friendhips etc. Such things can be very stressfull in a newer work place. Plus the extra six weeks seems like a great perk to me. I wouldn't give that up. You can find a great job when you are truly ready. JMO.
kelbert and Keakie like this.

May 2nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran
I would stay and find something better next year!
kelbert likes this.
May 2nd, 2013, 02:28 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I agree with the other ladies - it sounds like sitting tight might be the best option for now. The extra time off will be a huge plus, and I definitely agree with Anitha as far as it being a little easier and more comfortable to ask for flexibility at a place you've been with for awhile. It would also probably be a big routine change to go elsewhere, and personally, a big routine change (shortly before a bigger change when the baby does arrive) can be tough. If you try to transfer after you go back to work, you can transfer and get settled as opposed to transferring now, starting to settle but then leaving for 12 weeks, and then having to come back and get re-established again.

JMO, of course, but I would just hold off for now. I hope whatever you decide on works well for you!
kelbert likes this.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
May 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
It super stinks there isn't better time off for new mommies FMLA is their solution and it doesn't even help everyone.

I really appreciate the advice! You guys have given some great advice and I definitely agree. Starting at a new school with a new baby would probably be really stressful.

My Art Page!
May 2nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
It really does. In Canada, mothers get a year of paid maternity leave (not 100% of what they make while working, I think the manager who went on mat leave at my last job said it was something like 60% for her - but still, it's better than nothing and gives you a year). They should really do something similar here.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
May 2nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbert View Post

You have FMLA that will hold your job for up to 12 weeks but you have to be there a year before you qualify. I will say if it is possible try talking to the HR people or who ever is in charge of it. I ran out of FMLA with Karlee when she was only 8 days old due to being on bed rest and I spoke to my mgr and director and they agree to hold my job for till she was 8 weeks (c-section). My Dr would NOT clear me to return to work before then. Now I did have short term disability that paid me which I know you wouldn't be able to have but if you could swing it I see no harm in asking if they would hold your job.

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
May 2nd, 2013, 06:16 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
It really does. In Canada, mothers get a year of paid maternity leave (not 100% of what they make while working, I think the manager who went on mat leave at my last job said it was something like 60% for her - but still, it's better than nothing and gives you a year). They should really do something similar here.
I am a teacher in Ontario. Its true we get 1 full year off but how much you get paid depends on your employer. For me, I get 100% of my salary for 8 weeks and then the rest of the year we get unemployment insurance benefits (EI) (we pay into EI while working). My EI worked out to be about 50% of my salary but how much EI you get depends on your salary.

We definetly have a better system for new moms..I think it sucks that some of you ladies in the states get hardly any time off for a maternity leave.

I think you are going to want as much time as you can get off to be with your baby, recovery from pregnancy, labour and delivery and get use to being a new mom. Having a new baby is EXHAUSTING..I couldn't even imagine trying to get up and function as a teacher everyday..I think I spent the firsyt 6 weeks after DS was born watching tv...

good luck!
Keakie likes this.
May 4th, 2013, 01:30 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
I think I would stay where I was for awhile and just look next year. I know that would really blow!

I lost my job last year because they wouldn't hold my job for me. I worked for them for 3 yrs BUT there is also a stipulation for FMLA where you have to had worked a certain amount of hours too (I think something like 1024 hrs) for the previous 12 months. I was part time, about 8-10 hrs a week, so I didn't meet hat qualification. I did end up getting unemployment though once my dr released me which helped some.

I think I will be in the same situation this time too. I just started at a new job (they still don't know I am pregnant) and I won't qualify for FMLA this time either. I would be surprised if they held my job for me. Ugh.

Good luck!

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search