OT: BTDT moms, potty training?!

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By bevyvuska
  • 1 Post By Alpha_allie1010
  • 1 Post By MamaLaurie
  • 1 Post By breathing for two
  • 1 Post By Spyctre

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2013, 09:30 AM
321abc
. My son is just barely 16 months old but he's showing signs of being ready to potty train. He's very interested when we go to the bathroom, filling his diaper up at once, goes away to poop or squats down and he is very interested in his potty chair but he hasn't figured it out yet.
He will go get it out of the bathroom and bring it to the living room so when he does, I take his diaper off and tell him to go tee tee. He says "tee tee? Tee tee? But never does.

I would love to have him out of diapers my August since baby sister is coming but I never hear of babies especially boys potty training this early. I don't want to start hard core potty training and them be exhausted by it and him not end up potty trained till he's 4.
He follows simple instructions. Like, he throws his diaper on the trash, when I ask him if he needs a dry diaper he either lays down on the floor or walks to his changing table, he can put his toys away in bins, knows where his nose, eyes, ears and mouth is, will pick up objects off the floor when asked etc. So I'm not concerned about him comprehending what I want him to do, I'm just not sure if he's really aware of his bodily functions lol
May 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
bevyvuska's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to bevyvuska
I don't have a lot of suggestions. My son potty trained himself for the most part by a year & half. Just before he turned 2 we decided diapers were going away & within a few days of that (since I was off & able to be home with him) he only had 1-2 accidents & never wore a diaper again.
If he's showing interest, take him in there whenerver you go & encourage him to go. My son also prefered using the actual toilet to the potty chair, so maybe getting him a seat for that might help.
321abc likes this.

May 3rd, 2013, 10:07 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think at 16 months he may be still too young. With Dakota, I tried at 25 months, but she just wasn't ready so I tried again at 2.5 years.

For her I put her in a diaper or pull-up, then set a timer for her to sit on the potty every hour. She sat with no issues and went sometimes. She was completely trained in 3 days. Ry does the same process and does really well!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
May 3rd, 2013, 10:16 AM
321abc
I read something on Pinterest that is supposed to be tried and true but only at or after 22 months. You take them to buy underwhere and then the next day put them in their undies and a Tshirt and take them to the potty every so often and hen the poop, put the poop in the potty so they know that's where it belongs. The lady writing the article said it worked in 7 days with each child she had used it on. No more diapers during training except for nap time and bed time.

Would it be detrimental to try it for a few days and if he really acts like he doesn't get it, stop and try again a few months down the road?
May 3rd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye10 View Post
I read something on Pinterest that is supposed to be tried and true but only at or after 22 months. You take them to buy underwhere and then the next day put them in their undies and a Tshirt and take them to the potty every so often and hen the poop, put the poop in the potty so they know that's where it belongs. The lady writing the article said it worked in 7 days with each child she had used it on. No more diapers during training except for nap time and bed time.

Would it be detrimental to try it for a few days and if he really acts like he doesn't get it, stop and try again a few months down the road?

We tried this with K at 22-23ish months and it was a total DISASTER. She was showing all the signs and she would use the potty SOME...like 2x a day and then would have like 5 accidents even after week. We decided to wait a while longer and she literally did it herself lol. At about 2.5 she was running around naked in the house and started yelling "I need to potty" and we took her to the potty and she peed....she has maybe had 2-3 accidents since then. She just "did" it. She still sleeps in a diaper at night but that is it.
321abc likes this.

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
May 3rd, 2013, 01:47 PM
321abc
I think instead of just trying to get it done in a week, I'll just slowly introduce it to him and maybe he will take the lead when he gets ready. The last thing I want to do is stress him out before his little sister gets here. She's already taking his room and bed lol
Though I think he will transition well to his new room and bed.
May 3rd, 2013, 04:01 PM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
I don't see any harm in trying. I do think 16mos. is a bit young yet. With my boys it didn't go well until they were closer to 3. I know several boys personally that trained by 2, so I know it can be done. I think you'll find out real quick if he's ready or not.
321abc likes this.
May 3rd, 2013, 05:39 PM
Destiny
It can't hurt to encourage at this age. My son is 20 months and not trained, but he'll ask to go and want to go, so I just go ahead and encourage it. When he's ready, you'll know.
If he does get trained, some moms notice a regression after they have their baby, so be mindful of that, maybe just keep some pull ups on hand.
321abc likes this.

May 3rd, 2013, 06:16 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say IF hes showing signs, perhaps just try for daytime? My boys never even showed any interest till 2-3 so your lucky to have a little boy so interested
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

May 3rd, 2013, 06:21 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All of my children have been different. My easiest one was my 4 yr old. Her big sister who is almost 3 yrs older always encouraged her to go potty. It was pretty easy on my part.. it was my dd who is almost 3 yrs older who was difficult to potty train. She had all the signs, but would NOT be consistent. I tried bribery, everything. But, when she turned 3 and I got just the right kind of bribery (turned out to be candy orange slices) she was completely trained during the day and night.

I'd say, if he doesn't do well, just try again in a few more months when he is ready.

May 3rd, 2013, 09:56 PM
321abc
I know he's not ready for night time. I won't push that for a while. His bladder is still tiny for that I think.
I'll just encourage it and take is slow for now.
I appreciate the advice!
May 3rd, 2013, 10:47 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Lurking. I worked in a preschool with a daycare center, and sometimes children would be trained around 18 months. The teachers always had to prompt them, though. We would take them regularly because they would never tell us, but at the same time they were out of diapers. Most trained at 2.5.

My brother trained by 18 months. His body matured quicker because he was ADHD. My 14 month old is doing elimination communication, and she hasn't pooped in her diaper more than 5 times the past 10 months. She can't use the words, but comes to me and cries a certain way when she needs to poopy. Pee is still all diaper. Can't hurt to try. If you know his cues, take him to the potty real quick and sit him down. When he does his business, tell him what he's doing. "You're peeing/pooping! Yay!"
321abc likes this.

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
May 4th, 2013, 08:56 AM
321abc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
Lurking. I worked in a preschool with a daycare center, and sometimes children would be trained around 18 months. The teachers always had to prompt them, though. We would take them regularly because they would never tell us, but at the same time they were out of diapers. Most trained at 2.5.

My brother trained by 18 months. His body matured quicker because he was ADHD. My 14 month old is doing elimination communication, and she hasn't pooped in her diaper more than 5 times the past 10 months. She can't use the words, but comes to me and cries a certain way when she needs to poopy. Pee is still all diaper. Can't hurt to try. If you know his cues, take him to the potty real quick and sit him down. When he does his business, tell him what he's doing. "You're peeing/pooping! Yay!"
I've worked at a day care and the majority of the 18 month old girls were potty trained but most of the boys were closer to two.
I'm gonna just take it slow for now and see how it goes, I'm not going to expect him to get it down quickly.
May 4th, 2013, 01:27 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Also, if you are switching his bed an having a new baby, those are big transitions for him. He may regress when baby comes.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
May 4th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can definitely try, BUT do not set a target date. It will only serve to stress both of you out. Also agree with the real potty instead of potty chair. One more tip is to let him see you (or may be his dad) use the bathroom. Good luck.

May 4th, 2013, 03:40 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
thats really hard to say. my son just turned 2.5 and he is not ready yet. he has shown signs of being ready for a long time, lots of them, but when it comes to actually going he just doesn't want to yet. i feel your pain, i have a 14m old as well so if i don't get him pt i will have THREE in diapers. Maybe i'll get lucky and they'll pt together, lol! I'm desperately hoping we make some progress this summer2a.i have plenty of friends whose kids didn't potty train til right before 3.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search