Baby Shower for #5???

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ValyntineG

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, so for baby #1 of course I had a shower, for #2 I had a get together with no gifts, for #3 because it was a girl we had a shower and for #4 we had a shower but instead of gifts for baby and I we had ppl bring gently used items (or new if they wanted) to donate to a crisis pg center. This time around I was not planning on a shower at all, but now I realize that my 3 yo daughter was born in April---so the seasons are totally off. I have tons of tee-shirts and some one piece outfits that work fro any time of year, but I also have a lot of really summery type outfits. My 3 boys were all born in fall/winter time so their wardrobes were all fine...Should I just get a few outfits on my own? I have only gone thru the newborn and 0-3 month sizes to check for weather appropriateness...good excuse to go shopping for fall and winter clothes??

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
May 3rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
321abc
Everyone loves a baby shower!
Maybe you could mention it to a close friend and they will offer to throw you one. I've seen people mention baby q's on here, you could cook a brisket or some hamburgers and invite people over but put something on the invitation about the gifts being optional. Maybe you could google it and find a rhyme about it or something.
May 3rd, 2013, 03:56 PM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
I don't see anything wrong with it. A new baby is always reason to celebrate!! I'm sure if you put on the invites that gifts are optional, most everyone would bring one anyway. Sounds fun, wish I were having one!
May 3rd, 2013, 06:18 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There is nothing wrong with baby shower for your first or even for your 5th I didn't have ONE SHOWER till I was pregnant with #5! I haven't had one since lol
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

May 4th, 2013, 04:41 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
This is hard. i'm gonna say idk. I'm just not a fan of having my own shower, so this wouldn't even be a question unless someone was insisting on throwing one for me. I could see it if all of your kids were a lot older or it was a different gender. I had a big shower for my son and a much smaller shower for my daughter only because my sister insisted on having it because everyone wanted to buy girly stuff. I think i personally would say buy your own stuff...having a party for to celebrate baby is great but i don't think anyone should expect others to give them gifts b/c this baby is due in a different season. Sorry i really hope that doesn't sound mean cause that's not how i'm intending it, thats just how i am interpreting it. I guess i figure people will buy people baby gifts if they want to anyway but i don't want anyone feeling obligated to get me a gift.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
May 4th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensma View Post
I think i personally would say buy your own stuff...having a party for to celebrate baby is great but i don't think anyone should expect others to give them gifts b/c this baby is due in a different season. Sorry i really hope that doesn't sound mean cause that's not how i'm intending it, thats just how i am interpreting it. I guess i figure people will buy people baby gifts if they want to anyway but i don't want anyone feeling obligated to get me a gift.
I have to agree with this...I think that people like buying gifts for new babies but don't like feeling obligated to. I would think about having a "come and meet hte new baby party" and those who want to bring gifts will and those who don't want to because of various reasons won't.

With that being said, If it was me, most of the people I would invite to my shower would most likely end up buying something for this new baby because they are close family and friends. A party tells people when you want them to come over where as if you don't have a party, your door will be revolving the first 2-3 weeks after the baby is born and home from the hospital.
May 4th, 2013, 06:44 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye10 View Post
Everyone loves a baby shower!

No, no. I'm pretty sure most people secretly hate baby showers unless there's free alcohol involved. I know I do and I have a million kids.

I would say don't throw a shower if it's just in expectation of gifts. I think by the time you hit 5 kids, people are like "I have to buy THIS baby sh*t too? Are you kidding me? They better not invite me to any birthday parties."

Not to be a jerk or anything. I've just been a part of a lot of those conversations.
bevyvuska and jensma like this.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

May 4th, 2013, 07:20 PM
bevyvuska's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to bevyvuska
Honestly, I know many people think etiquette is out dated but I still agree with it a lot. Showers should never be thrown by yourself or even a close relative with expectations of gifts. If a friend wants to do that for you, then sure. If not, just do a baby celebration if you want with no gifts expected. A gift grab just looks greedy.

I am having a hard time with having a shower for this baby, but my best friend decided she wants to throw one for us since it's been 6yrs between kids, we literally just sold all the baby stuff we had saved for so long & it was a huge surprise. I am not going to register for things though. People can get us whatever they like if they want to. We will figure out anything else ourselves, wether it's hand me downs from friends or buying cheap off craigslist or thift shops.

May 6th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a lot of family who want to throw another shower. I think its just because they really enjoy buying girl stuff. I don't really want to do a shower because its so much work and during the summer we have enough going on with birthdays, bbq's and ppl just randomly wanting to come out. I think I like the Meet the baby idea better-that way there is a set time for ppl to visit rather than a bunch of ppl trying to find different times to come over. That is assuming all goes well. With my other daughter, she was 3 weeks early and our doctor (whom I love) told us that unless ppl were there to cook, clean or babysit there should be no visitors-we had a crazy schedule of nursing baby, me pumping, me feeding baby the pumped milk and then resting for a bit before I started all over again...hoping this one decides to stay in and cook for a little longer than her older sister!

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search