Baby shower invitations.. & diaper & breast feeding questions..

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree22Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made a event thing on facebook to get a good idea of who is coming or wants to come so I can find out how many invitations to order, I already have 45 people who say they are coming, and I invited 144 people which is a lot, because I am renting a clubhouse that I am not even sure holds 144 people (not that all 144 people are coming, I'm just saying.) but that's another story....When is a good time to order my baby shower invites and get them sent out? My baby shower is July 20th, and I need to know how many people are coming by a certain point so I can order invites and know how many cups and plates and cupcakes all of that fun stuff, so when do I need to know how many people are coming like a for sure amount, and when I have that number when do I need to send out invites? like how many weeks prior to my baby shower?

Also, I did my registry today, and I was wondering what size diapers I should put on my registry. I put 2 boxes of newborn diapers, because the other diapers were 8-14 pounds so how many of what size should I put?

& breast pumps! I don't know what kind to get. I know I want a dual pump, but there are so many to chose from and I kind of need to go the cheap route, along with what do I need to buy with it, like how many bottles, and am I suppose to buy nipples? I know nothing..

May 6th, 2013, 07:17 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
Great questions! I will sit here and wait for someone to answer
littlecatlady likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
May 6th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
First off, Be really careful with the facebook invite thing, some people may not get them. my cousin did that with her baby shower and my grandma was crushed that she never received an invitation, well I went to my grandmas house about a month later and looked at her facebook and sure enough it was there she just somehow didn't notice it. So I would say maybe do that with your facebook savvy friends but anybody who you know you want to be there, make sure you send them an invite weather or not they respond to the facebook thing.
As For the newborn diapers I would do only enough for the first 2 weeks( so about what you have) then go straight to size one. The only reason I used newborn was to keep the cord from being irritated, as soon as it was off it was into size ones. Also my third baby was 10 lbs at birth, we could barley make the newborn diapers fit in the hospital. She had to go into 1's immediately.
I never gave my babies a bottle but from what I have read, buy the best pump you can afford and buy a few different bottles/ nipples and find out which ones baby will like before you stock up on them. Some babies will take any bottle/ nipple and some will only take a certain kind.
jam121184 likes this.
May 6th, 2013, 07:54 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My babies never really fit in the newborn size.. they were 8.6, 8.3, 9.2, and 7.13... they weren't in size 1 very long either. I'd put on your registry mostly size 2 or 3.

Having that many people respond "yes" already is a good number! Sounds like your going to have a really big shower!

My two little girls never took a bottle or a pacifier. So, a breast pump would have been a waste of money for me. I don't know what to recommend other than I know the electric ones are really good, and if you are going back to work I'd really recommend a good breast pump.

Last edited by mirdeemrlvs; May 6th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
May 6th, 2013, 08:14 PM
amyhk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My advice about the breast pump: see if you can rent one at first, and if your insurance will cover part of it. Medela is the best, IMO.
jam121184 likes this.

May 6th, 2013, 08:33 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
i'd say 2-3 boxes of nb diapers should be good, then a few 1s, maybe enough to get you through the first month/6weeks. gosh i always forget how long this works. my kids stayed in 2s for a while and then in 3s forEVER. In fact at 2.5 and 14m we are just now bumping them up to 4s, mostly b/c we're having overnight issues. both of my babies were smaller though. i did bottles briefly with my first, he really like medela bottles that came w my pump, but he wasn't horribly picky. i'd say use somethign with fewer parts. i just got some mam bottles that have a flatter nipple like a boob. didn't have a chance to use them but they look cool. all i know is avent & dr browns have like 4-5 parts and they're a total PITA. JMHO

As far as a pump...this is hard. i am a firm believer in breastfeeding, i despise pumping b/c of the amt of time i feel it takes away from my life but if i were forced to pump then i'd want a good one and medela makes the best. that said, there are people who buy $300 pumps and use them for a couple of weeks or even days and it doesn't work out or they hate it or whatever...so i'd say hold off on buying one, i'd get a cheaper manual for the first few days and if it goes well then use giftcards/money you set aside for that purchase instead. medela's harmony manual pump is great, and you can use all of the same parts for ifyou want an electric. just my opinion, but with this being your first baby its hard to say how that will go and that one is a big variable, imo. especially because you can't return a breast pump to the store once its been opened.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
May 6th, 2013, 08:53 PM
321abc
Even if you get a whole bunch of newborn diapers Walmart will exchange them for another size without a problem. But I would say size 2 and 3 are what you will need the most of.

Cheap breast pumps are exactly that, cheap.
I had a horrible experience with one breaking while I was 4 hours away from my baby packing our old house up. That HURT!
After that one broke I did get a a pretty cheap one from Walmart that actually works great, but it's not a double pump.

This breast flow is the one that broke http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...59?type=search

And this is the single electronic/battery one that I really liked and worked well
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...89?type=search

The only times I really pumped was when I had mastitis or if I was away for too long or if I wanted to bottle feed in public but this pump worked very well or the week that I was on antibiotics and had to pump and dump
May 6th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Ugh, okay so ill get a range of diapers, and hold off on a expensive breast pump I guess..

May 6th, 2013, 10:12 PM
TayAnd2Angels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send out paper invites about 6 weeks before, and make the RSVP date about a week prior to the party.
Grlsshp9 likes this.

May 7th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Veteran
Like Skye said, it doesn't really matter what size diapers you get. As long as they're UNOPENED, you can exchange them for the size you need. A friend of mine made the mistake of nesting a little too vigorously. She opened all the diapers and put them away and took the tags off all the clothes NB-6mos. Then, when the baby outgrew every bit of it, she couldn't return or exchange anything. She ended up with a lot of diapers and clothes that wouldn't fit her daughter.

I'd make the RSVP date about two weeks before the party. We tried the one week thing with my daughter's birthday party last month. Apparently, people in general don't understand RSVP-ing anymore. We had several people show up who had not RSVP'd. If you make it a little earlier, you have time to call the people who haven't RSVP's, if you want a more accurate count.
jensma likes this.
May 7th, 2013, 05:16 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For diapers, you can always exchange for the next size. I honesty don't know what size to buy, as my three year old could still fit in 2's

As for breast pumps, will you really need one? If you plan on staying home, I think a single would be fine. I recommend anything medela though! When I pumped I used the 4 oz medela bottles then transferred everything to breastmilk bags. If baby was drinking it right then, I poured into her bottle (she used dr. Browns.) I think I had maybe 4 bottles? And then 2 sets of pumping stuff.
Grlsshp9 likes this.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
May 7th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Super Mommy
I never bought a box of NB diapers.....my kids only squeezed into them in the hospital. Both were 9.5 pounds

My DD was in size 2's by 6 weeks. She wore size 5's for almost a year

If you are going back to work and need to pump I suggest the medela pump in style. I know its $300 but you will get gift cards, find coupons, and credits to offset the price. It is well worth it to have a good pump if you really need one. Compared to formula for a year, it is cheap The Pump in style comes with 4 bottles you can pump right into. then you can transfer to pumping bags to store. I like the lansinoh ones the best. You can buy a pack of nipples for the medela bottles and see how it goes. don't invest too much in bottles before hand, some babies are VERY particular.
If you want to bottle feed and breast feed, try and introduce the bottle early. with DD i introduced the bottle at 5 weeks and she wanted nothing to do with it. with DS i did at 1.5 weeks and he didn't care where his milk came from.

you can send out invited 5-6 weeks in advance and have the RSVP dates 2-3 weeks before. You'll need time to follow up with the no response people.
May 7th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Veteran
For the invites, I would send them out 3 weeks ahead of time with an RSVP a week before the date.

What kind of use are you looking to get out of a breast pump? Will you be working full time away from the home when the baby is 6 weeks, or would it be for more fo a casual thing like pumping for a night out? Also, some insurances now pay for pumps, so you might not need to register for one at all. I would check your insurance coverage.
DS ~ October 2007
May 7th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyag View Post
If you want to bottle feed and breast feed, try and introduce the bottle early. with DD i introduced the bottle at 5 weeks and she wanted nothing to do with it. with DS i did at 1.5 weeks and he didn't care where his milk came from.
That really depends on how breastfeeding is going. Bottles shouldn't be introduced until breastfeeding is well established. For some people, breastfeeding is a breeze and well established at the first feeding. For others, it takes longer and introducing the bottle too soon can ruin breastfeeding. With my daughter, she was was 4 months old before we finally got breastfeeding figured out. With my son, I probably could have introduced a bottle by 2 weeks and been fine.
Keakie likes this.
DS ~ October 2007
May 7th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I need a pump for when I don't have time to breast feed. For instance I'm not going to want to get up or be able to get up some nights to feed her so I want the bottle to be there so Nick can do it, or for when I go back to school in the fall. Or what do I do when she stays the night at grandma's for a night? Wont she need bottles?

May 7th, 2013, 07:42 AM
321abc
If you aren't going to be pumping often like every 2-4 hours at work, I wouldn't spend the money on a super good pump. If its just for occasional times when baby is away or for daddy to bottle feed the $40 one I posted the link of will
Be fine. If you are going to be breast feeding for the most part I disagree with introducing a bottle early. Make sure your baby has established a good latch and feeding schedule before you throw in a bottle. Just my opinion.
In my case my son latched right on and didn't have trouble at all. I had to supplement when he was a few days old because he was jaundice but he didn't get nipple confusion thank God.

Another suggestion is to start pumping as soon as your milk comes in after birth. That way your body will be used to the pump as well and your milk will let down for that and your baby. When I had to pump and dump on antibiotics it was a mess because my body did not want to respond. The human body is amazing!
mirdeemrlvs likes this.
May 7th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlsshp9 View Post
I need a pump for when I don't have time to breast feed. For instance I'm not going to want to get up or be able to get up some nights to feed her so I want the bottle to be there so Nick can do it, or for when I go back to school in the fall. Or what do I do when she stays the night at grandma's for a night? Wont she need bottles?
If you are planning on breast feeding, I would advice against going all night without pumping or feeding from the breast at least until you have a surplus well established supply. This could take a month or even more ...depends. That will mess with your supply big time. You could feed and then have him change the diaper etc. As for when you go back to school, is it going to be full time? If so, you need a very good quality breast pump - do not compromise on this. Medela PISA has got the best reviews from working moms as far as I can tell.

Do not put bottles on the registry except like a couple in a few good brands. This is such a hit or miss!! Let me explain. It is adviced that you do not introduce bottles before baby's latch is established and good. (About a month to 6 weeks) > It is also adviced that the wide nipples minimize nipple confusion - like these ones : Amazon.com: NUK 3 Pack Orthodontic Silicone BPA Free Nipple Bottle, 10 Ounce, Colors May Vary: Baby
But then if babies have colic and/or reflux Dr. Browns, Playtex ventair etc. work well. They both did for my DD.
Some babies like faster flow even as young as 3 weeks. For some babies any bottle will work! The amount of variation is just crazy.
Therefore just get a couple in each brand so that you have some on hand to try out. You can stock up later on whatever works.

Diapers - 1 box of newborns, 2 boxes of 1s and the rest in size 2. This should cover you regardless of how big baby is. Plus you can exchange them. Here again brands matter. Pampers give horrible rash for some and so do huggies. Blow outs are more common in one brand vs the other for some babies. Luvs is also a good brand to try. Remember, to get some of each to try them out!

I use evite.com, send out 4 weeks before and RSVP two weeks prior, so that you can finish purchasing party supplies accordingly.

Have fun planning it
Keakie likes this.

Last edited by Anitha; May 7th, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
May 7th, 2013, 08:01 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
Pumping is great if its what you want to to, and its just a choice you make. some moms choose to exclusively breastfeed, with no bottles, which does mean you are the one who gets up around the clock and don't get nights off. you either plan shorter times away or baby goes with. i pumped early with my son and had a massive over supply. he did take a bottle until about 2m when i got mastitis and he was exclusively breastfed after that and would never take a bottle or formula. it was rough and i while i was EBF him i still had to pump b/c i couldn't handle the oversupply feeling. My milk dried up when i got pregnant with my daughter and we quit BFing when he was 10.5m. With her i EBF from the beginning and VERY RARELY pumped. it was great and i felt like i had more time to do other things and i wasn't up at 5 or 6am pumping. I truthfully feel like its trial and error and you have to figure out what works with you. The first baby kind of gets the learning curve while you both figure it out. I highly recommend maybe reading up on it or using the lactation consultants in the hospital, but i do think that its GREAT that you want to breastfeed and are excited about making it work with your life. sounds like with your schedule pumping is going to be necessary. So like someone else said make sure your baby does have time to get used to a bottle, just not too soon b/c that can mess up how they latch to the breast. i think we just don't want to see you buy a very expensive pump and then either not have a milk supply (which is rare) or just not like it. You may decide you only want to bf for a few months...a lot of people do that, and its okay. breastfeeding is a lot of work and until you have done it its really hard to say how its going to go I'm not at all trying to discourage you or 'scare' you, i just want to share some of the realities of it that you don't always hear.

As far as diapers, i agree on brands. I CAN use anything, my kids aren't sensitive, but huggies always leaked b/c i had smaller babies with no booty. i think huggies are designed for a chunkier/curvier baby than i had. pampers worked great for us. i also like target diapers and other off brand. i use pampers swaddlers up to size 3 then we transitioned to pampers cruisers.
Alpha_allie1010 likes this.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
May 7th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye10 View Post
. I had to supplement when he was a few days old because he was jaundice but he didn't get nipple confusion thank God.
!
I think nipple confusion is a big myth. Many nursing babies take pacifiers from the day they are born and they don't get "confused".

Nursing mom's get into trouble with bottles when they use them to "top off" a baby (to get them to sleep better) or in place of a nursing session and they don't pump. That messes with supply and demand. If you pump a bottle and give it to your baby early on, or pump when you are not home leaving a bottle you are fine. You aren't messing with your baby/mommy supply and demand.

I do still believe ins tarting the bottle early.

With DD I didn't want to have to deal with my pump while I was on maternity leave and then I paid for it dearly over the next 8 months when I couldn't leave my baby for longer than 3 hours since she wouldn't take a bottle. Luckily, I had daycare at work and could nurse her, but days I was a conference. She would scream all day. She knew that milk was supposed to come from a boob and not a bottle.
May 7th, 2013, 08:18 AM
321abc
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyag View Post
I think nipple confusion is a big myth. Many nursing babies take pacifiers from the day they are born and they don't get "confused".

Nursing mom's get into trouble with bottles when they use them to "top off" a baby (to get them to sleep better) or in place of a nursing session and they don't pump. That messes with supply and demand. If you pump a bottle and give it to your baby early on, or pump when you are not home leaving a bottle you are fine. You aren't messing with your baby/mommy supply and demand.

I do still believe ins tarting the bottle early.

With DD I didn't want to have to deal with my pump while I was on maternity leave and then I paid for it dearly over the next 8 months when I couldn't leave my baby for longer than 3 hours since she wouldn't take a bottle. Luckily, I had daycare at work and could nurse her, but days I was a conference. She would scream all day. She knew that milk was supposed to come from a boob and not a bottle.
The only reason I believe it is because I watched two of my friends suffer through horrible cracked and bleeding nipples because they switched too early before a good latch was established.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search