Would it be CRAZY...

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By sisera
  • 1 Post By mommy2lilmen
  • 1 Post By Anitha
  • 2 Post By Sk8ermaiden

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2013, 08:29 AM
AIK112018's Avatar Elizabeth
To deliver the baby at a hospital an hour away (by choice) ?
Is anyone else having to drive that far for the baby?

Things are up in the air right now about a homebirth (DH, grr!)

The Hospital I want to go to I would be able to have my own midwife, AND a waterbirth.
Each birthing room has a rocking chair, a television, a CD player, refrigerator, and a private bathroom with a hydrotherapy shower. They will provide a tub for me if I chose to have a waterbirth.

The other one that is like 15 minutes away, is nothing like this. I would have a doctor deliver my baby - whom I may have never met before. There is no waterbirth option. Thats it. Nothing else is included.
May 8th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't think it is crazy, if thats what you want then go for it.
May 8th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Veteran
I totally get your reasoning, and I think you should go for it. But, if I were you, I would try to find a friend or relative who lives near there or plan to stay in a hotel for a few days as it gets closer. The last thing you want is to not get your first choice or your backup choice, but a roadside birth...

Inna may's (gatskin or something) book ( sorry, don't remember the title or her last name) starts witha bunch of birth stories, including families that drove 3 hours to give birth at the farm .

Birth plans are just that, plans, which sometimes don't work, but I see no problem with that being part of your plan.
Alpha_allie1010 and AIK112018 like this.

May 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran
I don't think it's crazy at all. I have known women who have driven 2 hours to deliver at a birth center or even at a hotel in another state where homebirth midwives are legal. If it's going to get you the birth you want and you are comfortable doing it, I don't think it's crazy at all!
DS ~ October 2007
May 8th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was actually contemplating it myself because the really nice hospitals are almost an hour away from where I live...but the thought of how many bumps on the road we'd have to hit to get back here (I'm having a c-section, and hitting a bump right afterwards makes me feel like my guts are going to fall out) made me rethink my decision. For you, I don't think it's crazy at all. I say go for it!
May 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
When I had my first, the closest hospital was about 45 minutes away. It didn't end up being that big of a deal. I drove myself, actually.

I definitely say go for it if that's what you want. I think it's important to at least plan for the birth that you want and adapt later if it's not able to happen that way.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

May 8th, 2013, 12:03 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not by choice, but the twins were born an hour away. It wasn't fun driving there in labor (well dh drive me), but you can do it!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
May 8th, 2013, 12:45 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am, but I am being induced. If I go into labor early I am still having the baby there. I figure my labor lasts about 6 hours so 1 hour of driving won't be bad.

I say go for it, but just head over there as soon as you go into labor.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
May 8th, 2013, 12:50 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
I agree with the others.. if that is what you want to do then do it! Sounds like a great hospital. The one we have close to me is good thank goodness, but it doesn't have all the extras.. like the water birth option.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
May 8th, 2013, 12:51 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not crazy, I am considering having my baby at a hospital about an hour away. BUT I fear going into labor on my own and being stuck, I know our local hospital will take me in if that's the case but still I rather be where I want the proper care.
AIK112018 likes this.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

May 8th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes plan for the good hospital. Since they are so awesome I wouldn't have qualms about going there early...so I would go there are the first sign of labor, that way you don't risk a road side birth. Now if it was a hospital that didn't encourage the minimal intervention route I'd wait as long as possible at home and would rather it was close by kwim?
My3His1 likes this.

May 8th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Thank you so much ladies. I am really considering doing that if a homebirth falls through. I will contact them once I know what I am doing. And Thank you Lisa for recommending that book - I have heard of Ina May but never read her book. I think I will be buying it soon!
May 8th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I planned a homebirth last time. This time I've driving to the medical center - 45 minutesish with NO traffic. If we hit morning rush hour it can easily take 2 hours plus.

I'll pass at least 5 hospitals to get there. I can labor in the water, eat lightly, drink, they have wireless, waterproof monitors, I don't have to have an IV, etc. AS WELL as them being one of the two highest NICUs in the city, and having a total nonseperation policy of mom and baby. Baby never leaves you. Not after a c-section, not for bath, not for doctor, not ever. Low level NICU is IN YOUR ROOM. If your baby has serious problems and is in the real NICU, you have your own television station where you can see them and they can see you. You can hear the nurses and talk to them through the monitor as well.

It is so worth it to have a better experience.
AIK112018 and Heidijens1 like this.

May 8th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Maenfayne's Avatar Veteran
We're purposefully going to a hospital about an hour away. Longer if it's rush hour traffic. The one that's about 15 min away is not an option. Nearly everyone I know agrees when I say STAY AWAY! No matter how minor of an issue you have, go somewhere else! It's crazy what happens there. So yeah, we'll be driving into the big city for their fancy smancy hospital lol

10.03.13 8lbs 11oz 21 inches
Excuse my typos, there is either a baby on my boob or sleeping in my arms

Thank you *sharon* for my adorable siggy

May 9th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Should I call them and tell them I am planning on going there? Or do I just show up? I have a list of midwifes in that area that I can call if we end up having a hospital birth... but I have never had to "chose" a hospital before so Im not sure how it works... Also what about insurance? Does it matter what kind of insurance you have?
May 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Veteran
We're doing the same thing. I still won't have all the options I want, sadly. The only hospital within 2 hours of me that even offers midwifery only has one birthing tub and you obviously can't reserve it, so I'm not going to worry about it.

That said, we're still driving about an hour away to go to the hospital I want. It has a better, more comfortable maternity ward, I'm familiar with the hospital and their general practices, and they have a very highly rated NICU. We'll pass three other hospitals on the way.
May 9th, 2013, 01:28 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Only sounds crazy to me if you know you're likely to have a super short labor (my aunt gave birth literally in hospital lobby after 45 mins in labor)...otherwise I think an hour is not odd at all especially if you prefer that hospital. I'm choosing to drive thats easily 30 mins no traffic (45-1hr+ if during rush hour) to go to same hospital I had Savannah in, even though I have one 5 mins away and another 15 mins away.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
May 9th, 2013, 07:03 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I delivered baby #2 at a hospital an hour away..but I was at 6cms and not really in active labor. I do think it would suck to labor in the car on a long drive, if I can be honest! At the same time, gotta go where you're comfortable!!

May 9th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I deliver an hour away. I don't see an issue with it. I do have a closer hospital. But I had a falling out with the OB s there when I had Scarlett and instead of delivering there I went to my husband's Army base in Virginia at 40 weeks to deliver. Driving cross country was crazy...

Last edited by Happy Song; May 9th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
May 11th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Super Mommy
[QUOTE=Sk8ermaiden;27350304] If your baby has serious problems and is in the real NICU, you have your own television station where you can see them and they can see you. You can hear the nurses and talk to them through the monitor as well. [QUOTE]
I wish I had that when DS was born. I would've loved to have that option!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search